IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Driver Booster 3.0 extended boot up time

datkur

Very good experience using Driver booster 3 for first time with error free update of 12 drivers. But on restart, log in time now extends to over two minutes after allowing Win XP to boot up fully before logging in. Normally, desktop appears within 5 secs of logging in. Thought this may be due to Advanced System Care scan but disabled this in startup.But no change with same extended log in time. Only have essential items starting up on boot eg Antivirus, Firewall and sometimes CCleaner. Hope someone has seen this issue and has a solution. Otherwise, well done the IObit team.

Hi datkur

Welcome to the forum.

It has been advised many times in the forum that updating multiple drivers at once is not a good idea, as one driver could cause issues and it will be difficult to know which one is at fault.

For your issue, you should rollback each driver one at a time to it's original (using the DB rollback facility) testing bootup after each rollback, to see if you can identify a problem driver..

Or...you can do a full system restore to before the drivers were updated. Test that the bootup is once again normal, and then update the drivers one at a time testing after each update and see if you can identify the problem driver.

Hi Scannan,

As a newbie, I guess I didn't note that multiple driver update is not a good idea. But there is good news. I have often had problems shutting down after a Chrome freeze or fail to start from quick launch and ctfmon.exe always seemed to have difficulty closing. Researching ctfmon.exe suggests there can be a malware version but checking my system showed that this was not the case. But there was a recommendation to uncheck ctfmon.exe in msconfig tab to prevent it starting and this has cured the issue of extended boot. Interesting thing is that ctfmon is still shown as a process in task manager. So all this shows that driver boost is capable of multiple updates, 12 in all so thank you again for a great piece of software. BTW, doesn't 79 years old qualify as a senior member, only joking !!

Hi Scannan,

As a newbie, I guess I didn't note that multiple driver update is not a good idea. But there is good news. I have often had problems shutting down after a Chrome freeze or fail to start from quick launch and ctfmon.exe always seemed to have difficulty closing. Researching ctfmon.exe suggests there can be a malware version but checking my system showed that this was not the case. But there was a recommendation to uncheck ctfmon.exe in msconfig tab to prevent it starting and this has cured the issue of extended boot. Interesting thing is that ctfmon is still shown as a process in task manager. So all this shows that driver boost is capable of multiple updates, 12 in all so thank you again for a great piece of software. BTW, doesn't 79 years old qualify as a senior member, only joking !!

A senior Junior Member perhaps! :)))))

Welcome to IObit forum datkur!

Thank you for the feedback.

Cheers.

@datkur

I never said that DB was not capable of multiple updates. I said it is not advisable. You had a simple issue to solve in this case, but if it had been a bad driver, you would have found it a lot more complicated to identify the issue.

If you read through the DB forum posts you will see what I mean.

Advice is free......ignoring it can be costly....:-)

datkur

I note from your profile that you do not have any optimisation software on your pc. Your irregular bootimes could be the result of clutter in your registry or a badly fragmented disc.

Maybe you should consider trying Advanced SystemCare (ASC) Free, to optimise your drive. It would probably make a huge difference. Also Smart Defrag to defragment same.

If you do decide to give it (them) a try, I recommend that you read the Product manuals first to familiarise yourself with their functions and use. You can see them Here.

Thank you for your advice and link. Since this issue arose after driver updates, it does seem linked to that as the source. I do have ASC and use Defraggler to defrag my system drive. Not really possible to list all software but I can say that ASC is one of the best if not the top optimiser. Must admit this software is so inuitive that I did not read the manuals but I will follow the link. I have used other products eg Regcure, CCleaner and Advanced Uninstaller but ASC seems the best. If I can resolve the start up time problem I will let you know but it seems to me that it may be a while if I go through the roll back driver procedure.

• 4 weeks later...

Start up time now stabilised and I think probably due to problems with Wnd Handler which was detected by ASC and deleted. Much more stable now after suffering all sorts of freezing problems with different browsers. This was referred to Avast Support since many people seemed to have the same freezing symptoms after a particular update ie after Avast Free 10.4.2218. No direct evidence ecept that deleting this helper has cured freezing problems and may have contributed to curing Start up time problem. In any event, ASC seemed to have found the issue and I recommend it to anyone who has PC problems.

Archived