IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Reannewscomm.com Virus not detected by Malware Fighter

Hi,

Some introduction before I get to the problem.

Today I was watching a youtube video and got a virus notification. I thought nothing of it as Avast blocked it, until I started getting these popups requesting server access to my computer to download a file called "thawbrkr.dll". Every time I clicked "no" the popup would reappear after about 1-2 minutes. I tried to determine what was causing the popups to appear, to no avail (I'm fairly experienced with dealing with viruses and malware; so I checked the usual places AppData, ProgramData, Windows, Program Files, and Temp folders but found nothing at all). I figured that accepting it would cause the virus more access but I was at wits end and figured that once it was on the machine I could get rid of it.

So now I have this virus that keeps being blocked by my Avast Antivirus scanner, called "Reannewscomm.com". Every 10-15 seconds it blocks its attempt, for the past 2-3 hours now that I've been trying to get rid of it. I ran a complete scan of Malware Fighter and it did not detect it, and a complete scan of Avast Antivirus, and it didn't find it. I've looked in the usual places again, and deleted any temporary files that came on the computer today (March 8), any cookies for today, and reupdated both Avast and Malware fighter to no avail.

I tried to follow several guides on how to remove it manually (as the other option requires buying a tool that I've never heard of before and it only scans for free), and none have succeeded. All the usual indications of this virus are not present yet as Avast blocks it from putting those down and activating them. However, something is clearly trying to activate but I don't know where to find it.

The reason I'm posting it here is that Malware Fighter when it did the full scan, it came back with no detected malware, which is obviously a false positive as Avast keeps blocking some virus called "reannewscomm.com" every 10-15 seconds.

If this is technically in the wrong forum, then I ask to have it moved elsewhere. Of course I'd love some assistance in getting rid of it too.

Hi palandus, welcome to IObit Forum! :-)

During the time for waiting a response from IObit staff, you can go to Spyware-Malware Removal Help! section and Malware Fighter Superdave will help you to get rid of the virus.

You can post the same post of yours above, or create a new topic with more details.

Only Forum leaders can respond you there and you can only see your topics and posts.

Cheers.

Thank you. I've now posted a topic in that forum. I also got some help from Avast Forums (as Avast Antivirus is blocking it, so figured they might have a solution, so posted there as well) and here is the current situation:

Now, some updates on this... I've been working on getting some help from Avast Antivirus Forums, and they managed to provide a partial fix for the problem (link to that discussion =

https://forum.avast.com/?topic=184026.0). It is linked so that you can see what has / hasn't been done. The partial fix is that "Reannewscomm.com" no longer appears as a popup to be blocked. Instead it has been replaced by 4 new sites, each named differently, URL:Mal and C:/windows/explorer.exe ... However, Malware fighter is still not detecting the malware; if its any consolation, neither is MalwareBytes, which I downloaded for a second opinion. These 4 sites popup all together in a group of Avast blocks, but they pop up now every 1-2 minutes instead of 10-15 seconds.

Hi palandus,

Sorry for my late reply.

As you mentioned"it has been replaced by 4 new sites, each named differently, URL:Mal and C:/windows/explorer.exe", could you please tell us the precise names of the four sites and the related screenshots so that we can look into it.

Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com /cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Archived