IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Limted User Accounts

Hello and thanks for reply. :smile:

detailer: No, it will not run at all with Limited User unless I use the "RunAs" option with my Admin Account. The file did not need to be unblocked with XP. I installed while running the Admin Account.

solbjerg: I install with the account running as Admin. Once my programs are installed I change the account back to Limited. I have the option to run at startup set which also does not work with Limited.

Yes, the "RunAs" will work but as you know that must be done manually.

What solution do you have for the startup issue?

Hi Sliztzan-Regretfully I have no solution to your predicament.Since I run XP as Admin.,I was truthfully unaware that the utility would not function under LUA. It seems ridiculous that a garden variety application such as SD will not run under those restrictions.Perhaps there's a workaround available from Iobit, or feed back from one of the other Admin's is forthcoming.Sorry I could not be of further help.Happy Holidays

Smart Defrag does not have all the same features as Diskeeper

enoskype : From the short time I've used it, it works rather well. But it I've only had it installed a short time. It's disappointing you don't have a solution and also your statement on your webpage that your product has the same features as Diskeeper is now, misleading, since Diskeeper has this feature and your product doesn't.

Distributing a free product doesn't give Iobit permission to mislead consumers.

detailer: Yes it is ridiculous, but thanks still the same. It's probably because SD uses the standard Windows Scheduled Tasks, which also requires Admin account permissions to configure Windows Defrag to run on a schedule. I don't know why Microsoft designed Defrag to require permissions. I doubt IObit will go to such lengths to make there product work for limited user accounts. To my knowledge, Diskeeper is the only defrag program that will work as a limited user... so it's time to buy another license.

I had hoped that this would work, since Diskeeper is 50 dollars plus tax and is ONLY a defragmenter. :sad: Not much product for the money.

Hi Sliztzan

Please be aware that every answer you have recieved is from other users trying to help if we can.

Cheers

solbjerg

enoskype : From the short time I've used it, it works rather well. But it I've only had it installed a short time. It's disappointing you don't have a solution and also your statement on your webpage that your product has the same features as Diskeeper is now, misleading, since Diskeeper has this feature and your product doesn't.

Distributing a free product doesn't give Iobit permission to mislead consumers.

detailer: Yes it is ridiculous, but thanks still the same. It's probably because SD uses the standard Windows Scheduled Tasks, which also requires Admin account permissions to configure Windows Defrag to run on a schedule. I don't know why Microsoft designed Defrag to require permissions. I doubt IObit will go to such lengths to make there product work for limited user accounts. To my knowledge, Diskeeper is the only defrag program that will work as a limited user... so it's time to buy another license.

I had hoped that this would work, since Diskeeper is 50 dollars plus tax and is ONLY a defragmenter. :sad: Not much product for the money.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding ability to Run As another user at startup

I agree with the requests/suggestions to add an alternate "run as" startup feature/option. I do not mind having to install programs as an Administrator, but nowadays it is not uncommon for people to use their computers logged in as a non-administrator for security, so I am sure this affects many. IMO it is a real pain :sad: to have to manually start the program running as another user after each reboot in a non-admin loggon account, and it would be really nice/a-welcome-addition if the program could securely save and use the admin account info necessary to autostart whether-or-not an admin is logged in on the computer.

• 2 months later...
did you try right clicking and 'run as admin'? or going to properties and change the privelige level? i dont know how being in a limited account is like

I tried all variants of such thinking as I could come up with without success.

I believe one can use the built-in Windows Scheduler to launch with alternate credentials (such as an admin account); however, the darn thing does not give you an option to autorun an application on startup (just particular days, times, etc.) :sad:

I also looked into further and I believe there is a SysInternal application that will allow autostart as administrator (using startup folder if I recall correctly); however, and it has been a few weeks since I looked into, from what I recall the program does not "securely" store the password. As a result, the regular user machines that I have for non-admins would have unsecure admin passwords accessable by non-admins with some computer skills. :shock:

I found only one application (commercial/non-freeware) that said it could securely store the password for autostart purposes, but if I recall it costs more than $100 (ouch:!:)

Best regards,

SkiBum

Archived