IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defrag question.

Ted

Hi All,

Up until a week ago, I was using Smart Defrag 1.03 to Defrag and Optimise the three partitions on my computer when it was idle. I also let ASC 3.0.1 perform its defrag on my C: drive during the daily cleanup. Usually it would find about thirty or forty files to defrag.

Last week I decided to stop scheduling Smart Defrag and just operate it manually every week.

Since doing this, however, ASC 3.0.1 performs the defrag daily on my C: drive, but always comes up with "No Problems". How can this be? I've changed no settings at all. I ran Smart Defrag tonight and it found a large number of fragmented files on my C: drive.

Hi Ted

What level %-wise have you set the defrag to run at in ASC?

If you haven't touched this setting I think it is set to 10% as default.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi All,

Up until a week ago, I was using Smart Defrag 1.03 to Defrag and Optimise the three partitions on my computer when it was idle. I also let ASC 3.0.1 perform its defrag on my C: drive during the daily cleanup. Usually it would find about thirty or forty files to defrag.

Last week I decided to stop scheduling Smart Defrag and just operate it manually every week.

Since doing this, however, ASC 3.0.1 performs the defrag daily on my C: drive, but always comes up with "No Problems". How can this be? I've changed no settings at all. I ran Smart Defrag tonight and it found a large number of fragmented files on my C: drive.

Ok, Ted

Then it is just to lower that if that is what you want, and you will then find fewer fragmented files when you run the SD every week.

Remember that the function in ASC is just defagmenting - not optimizing.

Cheerio

solbjerg

Hi, solbjerg,

Yes it is set at 10%.

Hi there, solbjerg,

I ran the Defrag function in ASC this morning and again it found No Problems. I then changed the 10% setting to "Always Defrag" in the Defrag Options and this time it found 134 fragmented files which it defragged. I then ran SD and it found No Fragmented Files. ASC is doing a fine job once it's set correctly.

Many thanks, solbjerg.

==================

Nice to hear Ted

Generally though - I think it best to discuss other programs under the Lounge section.

About defragmentation, - your setting at a weekly check sounds about right - unless you have a lot of activity - installing - uninstalling programs. (just my opinion mind you)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi there, detailer,

Yes, I'm really rapt with Opera, it's doing everything I ask of it and I find it's so much faster than FireFox.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it will create, save and read archived MHTML files (web-pages saved as a single file) which FireFox won't do without an Add-On. I like Opera's Speed Dial function too, but I cant find out how to relabel its thumbnails to how I want them.

The only slow loading feature is the Help file, but I may be able to download and save that to my HDD at some stage.

Nice to hear Ted

Generally though - I think it best to discuss other programs under the Lounge section.

About defragmentation, - your setting at a weekly check sounds about right - unless you have a lot of activity - installing - uninstalling programs. (just my opinion mind you)

Cheers

solbjerg

i defrag about... oh every once a month or two. i wait until 3 percent of my drive is fragged.

Cheers

solbjerg

Okay, thanks for that, solbjerg.

Archived