IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC PRO V3.1.1: BUGS in Vista 64-Bit

siliconman01

I am running Vista SP1 64-bit Business and ASC PRO V3.1.1.

Bug 1: Startup Manager Tool not showing all startup programs.

The Startup Manager Tool fails to include startup items from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run.

Here are my startup entries.

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Class Name: <NO CLASS>

Last Write Time: 12/18/2008 - 1:00 AM

Value 0

Name: NvCplDaemon

Type: REG_SZ

Data: RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

Value 1

Name: PowerChute

Data: "C:\Program Files (x86)\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\Display.exe"

Value 2

Name: IAAnotif

Data: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe"

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Last Write Time: 12/22/2008 - 4:19 AM

Value 0

Name: AsioThk32Reg

Data: REGSVR32.EXE /S CTASIO.DLL

Value 1

Name: avgnt

Data: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Avira Premium Security Suite\avgnt.exe" /min /nosplash

Key Name: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Last Write Time: 12/20/2008 - 5:27 AM

Value 0

Name: HostsServer

Data: "C:\Program Files (x86)\HostsMan\hostssrv.exe" --start

Value 1

Name: AutoSizer

Data: "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoSizer\AutoSizer.exe"

Value 2

Name: Sidebar

Data: C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun

Value 3

Name: StickyPassword

Data: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sticky Password\stpass.exe

Value 4

Name: SUPERAntiSpyware

Data: C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

The Startup Manager attached PIC shows only 7 startup items.

Bug 2: Automatic Update always shows OFF

I run ASC PRO only on Demand. For the Update setting, I have selected "Update programs and database automatically (recommended)". However, on the Overview screen, Automatic Updates is showing OFF.

Hi siliconeman1,

I don't know the answer to your question on startup manager, but I think I have an answer about the Automatic Update.

I have noticed this on the last few versions. I have found that if you click on automatic update, then change something in "Choose the way to update", hit "apply"' then change it back to where you want it & hit "apply" again, the settings will "stick" untill the next version change.

samr.

Hi samr

Yes samr - I have often experienced that a refresh of a setting has put it right. (this goes for Windows and other applications too)

siliconeman1

About startup manager

We have seen you in the forum for a while.

So have you run the ASC without checking the details at one time?

Did you have the problem in the previous version? How did you install the version?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi siliconeman1,

I don't know the answer to your question on startup manager, but I think I have an answer about the Automatic Update.

I have noticed this on the last few versions. I have found that if you click on automatic update, then change something in "Choose the way to update", hit "apply"' then change it back to where you want it & hit "apply" again, the settings will "stick" untill the next version change.

samr.

Originally Posted by samr

Hi siliconeman1,

samr.

Toggling the Update option worked. This still points to a bug somewhere in the program, however.

About startup manager

We have seen you in the forum for a while.

Did you have the problem in the previous version? How did you install the version?

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, I have posted a few bugs here on the forum in the past. Unfortunately none of them have been fixed in subsequent versions.

I downloaded V3.1.1 installer and then let the installer of V3.1.1 uninstall the previous version which is the way I've had to update versions. I've only seen ASC automatically update itself via Update once throughout the Beta testing and now with the official release. I'm referring to updating the program version. The database seems to update okay.

I've just recently upgraded from Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit. So my frame of reference to past issues has changed. As you know, the registry on 64-bit is different than 32-bit. Wow6432Node does not exist in 32-bit registries. The Startup Manager for 64-bit needs to examine 3 "RUN" areas instead of just 2.

I don't understand what is being asked by

Hi siliconeman01

I think there could be a problem in the installing over the top, especially because you have changed from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Something may have been left over in the folder where you automatically installed the new program, that causes trouble.

So you might try a totally clean install.

The question you didn't understand is about configuring he details in especially system optimization before clicking repair when you run diagnose system-

Cheers

solbjerg

Toggling the Update option worked. This still points to a bug somewhere in the program, however.

Yes, I have posted a few bugs here on the forum in the past. Unfortunately none of them have been fixed in subsequent versions.

I downloaded V3.1.1 installer and then let the installer of V3.1.1 uninstall the previous version which is the way I've had to update versions. I've only seen ASC automatically update itself via Update once throughout the Beta testing and now with the official release. I'm referring to updating the program version. The database seems to update okay.

I've just recently upgraded from Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit. So my frame of reference to past issues has changed. As you know, the registry on 64-bit is different than 32-bit. Wow6432Node does not exist in 32-bit registries. The Startup Manager for 64-bit needs to examine 3 "RUN" areas instead of just 2.

I don't understand what is being asked by

I think there could be a problem in the installing over the top, especially because you have changed from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Something may have been left over in the folder where you automatically installed the new program, that causes trouble.

When I converted to 64-bit, I formatted and totally rebuilt my hard drive. So every program has been re-installed fresh under 64-bit.

I've always assumed that the uninstaller that comes with a newly downloaded version is the same as the uninstaller in Control Panel>Programs and Features.

The question you didn't understand is about configuring he details in especially system optimization before clicking repair when you run diagnose system-

I typically review the details of what is found during a scan before I do a Repair.

Also for reference concerning the Startup Manager, here is what Microsoft's Autoruns shows for startup.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived