IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

not enough space for 1 file issue

I run an optimize and defragwith version 1.03 and in the end where it says what % is still fragmented I see a # like 2.31... and that it is only 1 file that can't be defragented casue there is not enough space. how is this fixed..it was specifically C:\Program files\Atari\AITD\alone_c.big where AITD=AlONE IN THE DARK with 472388 clusters and 1.80 GB in size on a VISTA 32 bit partitioned 160 GB hard drive with 80 GB per partition.. thanks JRM271

Hi jrm

How much free space percentage-wise on the disc in question?

Do you have "don't defragment files larger than 1GB" clicked on?

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I am not sure that it is a good thing to defrag and optimize video files

I run an optimize and defragwith version 1.03 and in the end where it says what % is still fragmented I see a # like 2.31... and that it is only 1 file that can't be defragented casue there is not enough space. how is this fixed..it was specifically C:\Program files\Atari\AITD\alone_c.big where AITD=AlONE IN THE DARK with 472388 clusters and 1.80 GB in size on a VISTA 32 bit partitioned 160 GB hard drive with 80 GB per partition.. thanks JRM271

not enough space for 1 file issue

I guess U mean what % of the total hard drive space is this particular file..that would be about 1.8GB...and the check mark for ignore files larger than 1BGB is not checked. Should it be?

Hi jrm

If I had a problem with large files I think I would click it on.

I keep my video files on another drive and do not defragment them that way.

The % related to what amount of free space you have.

Cheers

solbjerg

I guess U mean what % of the total hard drive space is this particular file..that would be about 1.8GB...and the check mark for ignore files larger than 1BGB is not checked. Should it be?

I can confirm the same problem.

SmartDefrag 1.03 refuses to defrag larger files reporting there is not enough free space (there is about 16 Gigs free and files larger that 600MB cannot be defragmented).

Option not to defragment large files is not turned on.

Actually it refused to defagment much smaller files until I erased some contents to make more free space, even if available free space was much much larger that files that were reported as not defragmented due to lack of space.

It seems as obvious bug.

Hi jrm271, hi pedja,

Is there a chance that although you have enough empty space, you don't have enough contiguous empty space for the placement of your fairly large file/files as defragmented because of scattered System files?

I would try an Offline defragmentation with a capable defragmenter such as PerfectDisk to defragment the System Files, and trying again with SD before deciding that it is a bug.

Please post back for feedback.

Try the defragmenter in this post, and read the comment here for single large file defragmentation in Think about Defragmentation!!! thread.

You will find useful information in that thread.

Cheers.

Hi jrm271, hi pedja,

Is there a chance that although you have enough empty space, you don't have enough contiguous empty space for the placement of your fairly large file/files as defragmented because of scattered System files?

I would try an Offline defragmentation with a capable defragmenter such as PerfectDisk to defragment the System Files, and trying again with SD before deciding that it is a bug.

Please post back for feedback.

Try the defragmenter in this post, and read the comment here for single large file defragmentation in Think about Defragmentation!!! thread.

You will find useful information in that thread.

Cheers.

Ok. I ran that PERFECTDISK w/o doing it "offline", cause when it attempted to do it offline it said there was some issues and it quit,and then I RAN SD and it workd god now..said 0.00% fragmented. I would keep that PERFECTDISK program but it isn't free, only a trial usage period. Thanks for the help.." i am a perfectionist with this stuff, most people wouldn't even be concerned that it didn't say 0.00% after a defrg

jrm271, thanks for the feedback.

I strongly recommend runing chkdsk /F in command promt, and type Y (yes) to the question, and restart your PC and let it to perform the checkdisk, since there were issues when offline defragging. (Which may mean that some System files needs fixing.)

start=>Run=>type cmd=>OK=>C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe window=>type chkdsk /F=>Enter=>type Y=>Enter=>close window=>Restart the PC

Please note that, Perfectdisk does not work with certain encryption software, if you have one.

Also, try running offline defrag with Perfectdisk, after above command run cycle finished, with - Master File Table, Metadata, Hibernation file(if you have activated Hibernation) and Paging File- options checked under Offline Defrag Settings in Drive Properties section of PD.

Since you are a perfectionist, have a look to the attachments in the first post here to see what it can do.

Once system files are defragged, it will take quite a while for them to fragment again.

I am not sure if the new version of SD will give you another trial period if you uninstall and clean the registry with RevoUninstaller, but PD8 was giving that right.

If PD still does not work for offline defrag, at least use the Page Defrag from Sysinternals here .

After finishing, you can use Smart Defrag and also Optimize function of it.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hi. I tried running the chkdsk but by going to computer then right clicking on my C: drive then going to properties and then tools then error checking, which I believe is the same thing you were telling me but it wasn't working how you were telling me maybe casue that is for XP and I have VISTA..I also pu the ck mark in "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"..now I will try the offline defrag with PERFECTDISK and see what happens

Archived