IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Firefox Problem

jnkillerx

I have a problem. I use firefox, because it's really fast. But I've a problem. Since I use ASC, every time I start Firefox I get a lot of update/install messages from my add-ons. Normally they display once after installing/updating the add-on, and the next time you will just get your home page. But now, every time I start Firefox, I get a lot of websites and messages from add-ons saying thinks like thanks for installing/updating, and messages about options. Even when I ask Firefox to remember my session and then restart it, it just starts at my home page with those add-on messages. It looks like it doesn't save any history or something like that. I'm not sure if ASC caused it, but the problems never have been there before installing it. Anyone can help me?

Thanks,

JNKillerX

Hi jn

Have you checked what programs you have in your startup list?

Cheers

solbjerg

I have a problem. I use firefox, because it's really fast. But I've a problem. Since I use ASC, every time I start Firefox I get a lot of update/install messages from my add-ons. Normally they display once after installing/updating the add-on, and the next time you will just get your home page. But now, every time I start Firefox, I get a lot of websites and messages from add-ons saying thinks like thanks for installing/updating, and messages about options. Even when I ask Firefox to remember my session and then restart it, it just starts at my home page with those add-on messages. It looks like it doesn't save any history or something like that. I'm not sure if ASC caused it, but the problems never have been there before installing it. Anyone can help me?

Thanks,

JNKillerX

I know that. But the problem is not that Firefox starts, because I start it manually and I want to. But every time I start Firefox I get messages from add-ons, like

Thanks for upgrading this add-on from version 1.3.4 to 1.3.5. Look at the development build if you want to know what changed... (something like this)

I click ok, and the next time I start Firefox, the same message appears. Any add-on I install and/or update, keeps displaying messages when I start up Firefox. Normally, they're displayed once, and then they won't appear again until you install/update add-ons.

Also, some options aren't saved. When I click on the restart firefox button, it says: Are you sure want to restart Firefox? I click first the 'don't ask this again' button, and then click yes. But the next time I restart Firefox, it gives the same message again.

JNKillerX

Been There(kinda)

Hi jnkillerx-You need to open your FF folder and locate your profile folder and see if you have entries labeled as prefs.js(files)-you may delete those as they will replace themselves on subsequent start-ups.You may also try launching FF in safe mode(from here)to reveal a window where you can make some"restore" changes.Frankly I had a problem with my daughter's Win XP where the "Firefoxe Updated" tab would open with her home page tab every time.No adjustments to the internet options settings would end this behavior,nor would a host of other "fixes"-I just reinstalled FF and went on my way(took less time than all the research and attempts to fix it)I can't say if ASC is responsible for this,as I've had no problems with it running XP on two systems.There is a possibility that one or more of the "repairs" you've made with ASC could have caused this,but it's unlikely as ASC doesn't make adjustments to the area that I believe your problem lies in(though I could be wrong).You may take a look here for some more options and a better knowledge base(no offense to my IObit friends)

Hi jnkillerx,

Maybe the setting of your Firefox is changed.

Please try this way: Open you Firefox--->choose "Tools"--->click "Options"--->choose "Main"--->"When Firefox Starts" select the first choice "Show my home page"

And then, try to restart your Firefox again, will there still be that problem:?:

That may work. But I'm not sure which file it is. Is it one of the following files:

Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js (or maybe all the items in the map pref, or the map itself)

Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/greprefs/all.js (or the all the items in the map/ the map itself)

Or will it be a different item/map. Hopefully someone can quickly tell me the right item, because it's getting fairly annoying.

JNKillerX

Profile Corruption

Hi again jnkillerx-If your home page is opening ok,than the internet options adjustments as suggested by Chrissy probably won't help-I say this because you're not getting extra or different tabs on opening.(which is what those settings control)I know what you are getting is the FF extensions notification window which indicates some corruption in your user profile.It's not a question of FF "not saving",it's a matter of files that aren't deleting as they should.Have you tried making any of the Safe Mode adjustments yet?If you have and those failed,you can look to prefs.js files-you may delete them all or one at a time(to the recycle bin so they can be restored if need be)so you can see which one(s) may be responsible for the problems.You may also look to greprefs.js files,but I believe that part of your "profile" pertains to bookmarks from the menu and toolbar,and may make changes to the address bar as well.This can cause instability,so tread carefully with those.You may also want to consider deleting your current "profile" and creating a new one(info can be found through the link I gave you)-this is easier than a reinstall of FF.I can't say for certain this is your "fix" as no two profiles are identical-each yields it's own set of potential problems when FF is updated.Lastly,have you visited MozillaZine yet?Answers can usually be obtained within hours there.Best of luck.

Glad to Hear

Hi jnkillerx-Sorry to hear you had to go for the full reinstall,however it was probably the best course of action because all of the variables are out of the picture now.I'm happy to hear your issue is resolved,but don't forget the FF forum for future problems-they are a very helpful community.

The problem is back now I updated one of my add-ons :(

I didn't run any ASC scans between updating the add-on and restarting Firefox, so maybe it's something else. I will also visit the FF forum and gonna look if they have a solution for it there. Anyone here has suggestions?

JN

All my skiting about FireFox!!

I updated my "NoScript" addon this morning and am now getting the same problem that jnkillerx was getting. The NoScript Instruction sheet is loading every time I open FF and The Start Up Page settings won't save if I alter them. Actually, when I first opened FF this morning my Speed Dial icons didn't load instantly, but took about 15 seconds. I had tried out ASC3's FF optimizer last night, so I blamed that. Is it possible to undo the FF Optimizer settings so I can discount them?

I updated my "NoScript" addon this morning and am now getting the same problem that jnkillerx was getting. The NoScript Instruction sheet is loading every time I open FF and The Start Up Page settings won't save if I alter them. Actually, when I first opened FF this morning my Speed Dial icons didn't load instantly, but took about 15 seconds. I had tried out ASC3's FF optimizer last night, so I blamed that. Is it possible to undo the FF Optimizer settings so I can discount them?

I noticed in the Options > Backup Page, there is a setting for backing up Optimization, you can try to restore that ( Maybe check the time/date stamp on the restore page), however I do not know if that is inclusive of FF

8)

Is it possible to undo the FF Optimizer settings so I can discount them?

Hi Ted,

If you optimized FF from FirefoxTCP Optimizer, on top right of it, click "Recover" and choose "Mozilla Firefox" checkbox, click "Recover!" button to recover your settings prior to optimization.

Cheers.

Its a bug in TCPOptimizer as I mentioned it this post so that after you optimize your Firefox, extensions configurations won't save to your prefs.js and every time you start Firefox you have to setup them again. But you can fix your config file manually.

Close Firefox and go to:

%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles then go to your current profile folder, there is a prefs.js file there, backup it somewhere first, then open it in notepad and remove all entries with a \ before the entry name, for example user_pref(\"content.max.tokenizing.time\", 2250000); also remove repeated entries if there is any, save it and start Firefox, change some addon options and restart Firefox to see if they are saved.

Hi, usgroup1,

Many, thanks for those instructions, I was just on the point of doing a "System Restore" to last Monday! Thanks to you my FireFox is completelyl back to normal.

I found about a dozen of those rogue entries, but no duplicates.

I did another "Recover" job with AC3s FireFox Optimizer and it put al those rogue entries back in again!

No complaints, however, I was warned. I'll just steer clear of the FireFox Optimizer until it is debugged.

Hi, enoskype,

I did as you suggested, but still get the "Already Optimized" message after clicking "Recover". It did nothing to fix my problem, though.

Hi Ted,

Yes you are right, it doesn't change the "Already Optimized".

I will try to contact IObit for that, as I only use the FF as portable.

Cheers.

Recover works for Manual FF Optimize!!!

Hi Ted, hi usgroup1,

Now I can tell that, when you choose the "Firefox Optimize" section and choose Fast computer/Fast connection in "Performance" tab, check "Enable some common optimal configurations" in "Other Optimization" tab, check "Display an error page instead of an error messagebox", "Turn on autocomplete for URLs", and "Optimize Firefox memory usage" in "Useful Settings" tab, and clcking "Apply!" button, a new "prefs.js" file is created and the line items below are added in it:

user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);

user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);

user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", 8 );

user_pref("content.notify.backoffcount", 5);

user_pref("plugin.expose_full_path", true);

user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", 0);

user_pref("browser.xul.error_pages.enabled", true);

user_pref("browser.urlbar.autoFill", true);

user_pref("config.trim_on_minimize", true);

user_pref("content.interrupt.parsing", true);

user_pref("content.max.tokenizing.time", 2250000);

user_pref("content.notify.interval", 750000);

user_pref("content.notify.ontimer", true);

user_pref("content.switch.threshold", 750000);

user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);

and a file named "prefs.bak" is created in the same folder with the old strings (former prefs.js file).

Note that, there are no back slashes (\) in the strings.

When you Recover from FirefoxTCP Optimizer, the added line items are deleted from "prefs.js" file.

With all these changes, Already Optimized for Mozilla Firefox is still there.:!:

That's all I can tell at the moment.

Cheers.

Hi Ted, hi usgroup1]

a file named "prefs.bak" is created in the same folder with the old strings (former prefs.js file).

Damn! I could have just renamed that file to prefs.js, eh?

Thanks for the research, enoskype. Unfortunately, I'm not in the Fast Computor/Fast Connection category (256/128 ).

Thought I'd struck another glitch with that prefs file last night when FireFox wouldn't download the Smart Defrag update. In fact it wouldn't download anything!

I found a fix that did involve modifying the prefs file, but changing an option in "Internet Options>Security> Custom" achieved the same result. All sweet again.

Archived