IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Sluggish IE after installation of ASC Pro

Rita Fung

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this discrepancy in what ASC suggests has been covered before.

But, while we're at it, why does the ASC Maintain Windows | System Optimization | Network Connection want the TcpWindowSize and GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize at 65340 for me; while the ASC Utilities | Tuneup | Internet Booster wants them both at 652620?.

With the 652620 setting I get

http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/results_img.php?test=2453317

from that Ashburn, VA site where I had gotten the

http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/results_img.php?test=2453195

I know the net is a live animal that treats folks differently depending on not much more than it's mood, but if you have any thoughts, I'm all horns... ermmm.... I mean ears.

Should we even get into why the SpeedGuide TCP Optimizer wants the TCP Receive Window at 513920?

Tx!

CT

/me scratches head.

I've Noticed That!

Hi Tim-Enoskype would be the man with the best answer,but in his absence I'll throw in my two cents worth of experience with this.My take is that the tweak made from within ASC is a step above what you may have had previously(relating to speed)The next "step" to tweak a little more would be the settings recommended by Internet Booster or Firefox/TCP Optimizer(from v. 3.2).Those are the settings I have always gone with.When ASC scans for optimization the next time,it recommends changing two of those settings back,which I add to the ignore list.I'm not well versed enough to explain all these settings and values,but have found the settings from IB or FF optimizer have worked better for me.Hope that helps-I scratch my head as well. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/sorry.gif

enoskype,

I need to talk with you when you get back.

Here's a funny story. Remember last week (above posts)? I was getting those great 10.9Mb/s and 11.2Mb/s DL speeds on my advertised 10Mb/s service? I thought that the tweaking I was doing was just working out fantastically!? I was so proud of myself!

Well, I decided to upgrade from AT&T's U-verse Broadband 10 to their Broadband Max 18. While I was on the phone with AT&T I found out that last week they had increased their 10Mb/s service up to 13Mb/s for all customers who had the 10. LOL. They just hadn't officially announced it or advertised it yet. It probably wasn't the tweaking I was doing at all. hahahahaha

Anyway, I have an 18Mb/s service now. Attached is the screen shot of a speed test I did to the New York server at the speakeasy speed test site at http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/. They don't have a linking capability for a graphic.

Let us know when you're back.

Again, thx for your expertise in this area!

CT

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Bump a good thread

Not wanting to hi-jack another thread I have bumped this informative thread with a reply to this question:

Hi wozofoz,

Still not optimizing the TCP ever manually? :?:

I am using a hotel (public) wi-fi and so can't get the exact download figures etc but after some searching I think I have come up with what I assume is correct.

Since the hotel is not 5 star and the wi-fi is free for guests I assume the hotel would be on a cheap service plan but one that would allow unlimited downloads and uploads.

I was able to find out the name of the ISP provider and went to the website.

The service plan I found there that I assume would be best for the hotel is:

Download: 1Mbps - Unlimited

Upload: 384 kbps - Unlimited

PPoE DSL Broadband - I could not find any definite confirmation that it is PPoE but they do talk about it a lot in the FAQ so I assume that it is

In the screeshot below SpeedGuide.net says:

MTU = 1492

MTU is opttimized for PPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for optimal throughput

MSS = 1452

MSS is opttimized for PPPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising your MTU value

Does this mean my setting are ok or should I increase MTU to 1500 ?

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3950&d=1263880891

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »

Tested on: 01.18.2010 23:29

IP address: 60.51.xx.x

Client OS: Windows XP

TCP options string: 020405ac0103030001010402

MSS: 1452

MTU: 1492

TCP Window: 65340 (multiple of MSS)

RWIN Scaling: 0 bits

Unscaled RWIN : 65340

Recommended RWINs: 63888, 127776, 255552, 511104, 1022208

BDP limit (200ms): 2614kbps (327KBytes/s)

BDP limit (500ms): 1045kbps (131KBytes/s)

MTU Discovery: ON

TTL: 43

Timestamps: OFF

SACKs: ON

IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

All the best, woz of oz

Hi wozofoz,

Considering that you are connected with PPPoE DSL, MTU is correct and optimum, and even if you want, you cannot increase MTU above 1492.

MSS is correct also as it is 1452.

Although your RWIN is already multiple of MSS, it could be better if RWIN is multiples of MSS x 44, ei., 1452 x 44 = 63888 , 1452x 44 x 2 =127776, etc.

I am not considering higher RWINS for you taking into account of your geographical position relative to USA, and 1Mbps connection speed, as it is inversely proportional to latency (longer distances, relatively more deley). Which means, lower the latency, higher can be the RWIN in multiples of MSS.

Try first RWIN = 63888.

You can try RWIN as 127776, without much difference, but only you can tell if it is the same, better or worse.

One other thing, which can be optimized, is TTL.

Icrease the TTL to 85 from 64 in the adjuster to get a real-time TTL of 64. If you can not get TTL as 64, then adjust it upwards or downwards by very small increments to get a reading of 64.

Unfortunately, PC needs to be restarted after each udjustment.

I hope you will get an optimum TCP connection, and then as you described, put the relevant items into the ASC's Ignore List after System Optimization scan of Diagnose System in ASC.

You can share with us the final result as you did in your previous post.

Please ask if something needs to be clarified.

Cheers.

No change

I tried Time To Live at 85 and it said that the optimization had been done but the result was exactly the same (43 hops) as the screenshot in my previous post.

I tried many, many different settings both up and down but always got the same result as before.

I am sure I did it correctly but it just won't change :sad:

Should I leave it at 85 or some other figure or just go back to Auto Optimization ?

Edit: In the screenshot you will see the setting Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller which is the default setting when I open the screen but I also tried to optimize after selecting Atheros AR557 EG Wireless Network Adapter and there wa no change.

This raises the question, which one should I choose when I am using wi-fi or doesn't it matter

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3954&d=1263918770

All the best, woz of oz

Hi wozofoz,

I hope you have restarted the Notebook after changing the values each time before checking in Speedguide Net, otherwise it is strange not to let you change, but it can also be limited by the hotel (DSL) provider.

It seems that you have not tried to change the RWIN value from 65340 to 63888 also. (With Atheros AR557 EG Wireless Network Adapter of course.)

Do you have any kind of system protector software? Or registry change protector, or something similar?

Cheers.

I should read the manual

Well, this is embarrassing.

Hi wozofoz,

I hope you have restarted the Notebook after changing the values each time before checking in Speedguide Net....

Firstly in my excitement and then in my frustration, I didn't

Now I have and it looks perfect, what do you think ? :smile:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3955&d=1263923206

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3956&d=1263923243

All the best, woz of oz

Change in Time To Live

In your snap I see no way to store changes as a Named setting. So you will have to manually reset them again to any new(or different) network to optomize if not the same? Many wireless configs out there... could be alot of work?

Yep and considering I always public wi-fi it could be an inconvenience.

I am spending a lot of time in this one place at the moment so I have decided to do the Expert Mode configurations but when I start moving around again and using various wi-fi sources I would just use the Auto Optimization (1 MB) and probably leave it at that unless I was having trouble connecting etc :smile:

Perfect.

The recent 'burp' problems we have been having at the forum made me go back to Speedguide.net and review my settings.

I had not made any changes to Internet Booster and all settings are protected by the ASC Ignore list but my Time To Live has increased from 64 to 67.

I did the Expert Mode again using TCP receive Window: 63888 and Time to live: 85 but the Speedguide.net result was the same 67

Does this happen occassionally ? Can I do anything about it ? Should I change the figures to try to get back to 64 ?

Hold the phone: I just had a thought, I spent two days at a friends house (2 days ago) and used their wi-fi but I didn't change any settings. Could using their wi-fi (same IP provider, different address) have brought about the changes ?

This is quite fascinating stuff

The following images are of the setup and test today :smile:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4053&d=1264421497

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4054&d=1264421516

All the best, woz of oz

Hi wozofoz,

Didn't I say that real-time TTL is volatile? :-o (Not much though) But, perhaps in another thread, most probably replying to Okie.

When you check it in the registry, you will see that it has not changed from 85.

It is not a problem to have real-time TTL as 67, but you can decrease your adjustment in the Optimizer (Booster) to 83 and try again to get the optimum value of 64. (Don't forget to restart the PC please.:lol: )

Cheers.

Hi Rita

I noticed that nobody seems to have answered your question about Time.

First if it loses as much as 30 minutes I think you should replace the battery in the motherboard for a new one.

A run down or faulty battery can cause several mysterious faults.

Second the System Optimize in ASC is configured for security and the saving of resources and usually closes the service Time.

Go to Run write services.msc and check the setting of Windows Time - allow it and start it.

Later when running System Optimize in ASC you have to check the "problems" found and place the one about Time in the Ignore list.

Cheers

solbjerg

I have recently installed the ASC Pro in my laptop, cleaned up registry, spyware etc and general maintenance. But now the IE is running sluggish and sometimes hang and freezes up. Clock setting on the laptop was altered 30 minutes behind, I had to reset the clock twice already. Has anyone experienced this?

Archived