IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Myth - "Disabling QoS will free up the 20% bandwidth reserved by QoS

ATi7500

Reality - "There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. 100% of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20% of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host."

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q316666

The Nonbestefforlimit value is recommended to be left at 20, setting it to 0 deactivates any QoS function (present in many wireless routers) that is needed to prioritize network traffic.

Me myself have experienced a severe slowdown in my home LAN by deactivating this function.

Please consider this in the next updates of the module!

Thanks

Archived