IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Seagate 120mb

garybear

I just bought 120mb Seagate USB. I tells me to safely remove hardware before removing the drive, when I click icon to remove, I get a message. The device Generic volume cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it, check back latter. Whats going on?? I don't have a clue. I don't want to screw up my new drive, and this is really bugging me.I paid 100$ for it. I'm using it to back up my hard drive, and it seemed to do that, but I don't want it plugged in all the time.HELP[garybear]:evil:

yup

120GB is what I got.Thanks enoskype, I knew you would know how to fix my problem. Do I have to exit ram smart and screen print too?? I guess I'll figure that out by trying each one until it lets me remove my drive.It must be nice to be so smart. I'm learning some thing every day. To old to learn all you know lol. They should give you a promotion, and a raise .[garybear]

Seagate

I down loaded sea tools for windows and ran some tests , but I have no idea what they meant. They all passed, so guess that's good. What am I testing, the sea gate drive? It sounded like my hard drive was running. I don't have a clue what the tool does, but I always do what ever you tell me.lol[garybear]

Usb

Sorry for being a pain in the rear, but is shut down, disconnect & restart pc, the same as [start/turn off computer/turn off and then power back up], and if that's what your saying is that better than just restart? Some times I'm a little thick between the ears. Thanks enoskype. PS I figured out that tool for sea gate and its cool , thanks.[garybear]

Hi garybear,

Yes, it is. It is preferable, as you are sure that when the power is off, the USB disk is disengaged. With Restart, you may not know when the USB disk is disengaged and may miss the exact time, specially if you want to connect USB again.

garybear, best is to remove it from the icon in the system tray making sure that nothing (no program) is using the USB disk.

It is not a good idea to remove the USB disk, when backingup, defagmenting, scanning, repairing, etc.

You will certainly loose data if you do that.

Please ask if it is not clear.

Cheers.

Enis

Perhaps gary, the link below will come in handy :-)

http://www.mcgill.ca/emf/help/safely-remove-usb/

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi garybear,

Yes, it is. It is preferable, as you are sure that when the power is off, the USB disk is disengaged. With Restart, you may not know when the USB disk is disengaged and may miss the exact time, specially if you want to connect USB again.

garybear, best is to remove it from the icon in the system tray making sure that nothing (no program) is using the USB disk.

It is not a good idea to remove the USB disk, when backingup, defagmenting, scanning, repairing, etc.

You will certainly loose data if you do that.

Please ask if it is not clear.

Cheers.

Enis

Hi gary

Is it a backup you have placed in your external harddisk?

If it is, then I think it is checking if the backup corresponds with the situation in your C: drive now, and this takes a little time I think. Or perhaps your c: drive is just finding out what more it now has at it's fingertips. :-)

Just wait until it is safe to remove the connection.

Cheers

solbjerg

I under stand , except for system tray. I double click the little green arrow, just to the right of IObit.C in system tray[safely remove device-drive(E:), And I get message in attachments.Thanks guys.[garybear]

Hi, garybear,

Glad to see youve got yourself a Seagate 120GB USB HDD. Does it have some pre-installed tools including one named: CEEDO? Mine has, but I don't use it. Also has yours got two USB plugs?

Hey, you've taught me something. I've always assumed the "Safely Remove Hardware" message I get when the icon is highlighted meant just that and have been blissfully removing the two plugs as I finish my backups. I hope I haven't stuffed up my drive after six months of this misuse.

I double-clicked the icon and got the error message you got, so I applied a little tool named: "Unlocker" to the Seagate icon in "My Computer" and it said that IOBit Smart Defrag was locking it, but there was no handle to unlock, so exiting Smart Defrag fixes it for me.

Gary, I see from the last couple of screen shots you've submitted that your Quick Launch Task Bar is unlocked. Just right-click the Task Bar and tick "Lock the Task Bar".

seagate

Hey Ted. Yes. my wife bought me 160 gb seagate for being a good boy.Got it at wallmark (96$). Yes it has two plugs,I just use the one that says power+data. I really like it, best thing since sliced bread. I have a Nero program but when I try to use it to back up c drive, it says the drive is being used and might not work, so I use Macrium Reflect to back up c drive, Nero to back up files and folders. I think I got it all covered . Would welcome any suggestions you have about that. Yes it had Ceedo, but I didn't think I needed it , so I deleted it, thinking I could get it back, wrong. Its gone. Is there any way to get it back if I decide I want it back? I usually lock the task bar, was messing with it ,and didn't lock it. That part about safely removing hardware is really weird .Some times it works and some times it don't. I'm trying to figure it out. I've exited every thing on the task bar,even my AVG, and it didn't help. some times it works and some times I get the Generic volume message. I'm going to try solbjerg idea and wait for a while ,and let it do its thing. I don't need to disconnect it any way. I'll just wait on it.lol Thanks for recommending it to me, It will be much better than DVDS [garybear]

Try this link gary : http://www.download.com/Ceedo-Personal/3000-2064_4-10477841.html

Good luck

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey Ted. Yes. my wife bought me 160 gb seagate for being a good boy.Got it at wallmark (96$). Yes it has two plugs,I just use the one that says power+data. I really like it, best thing since sliced bread. I have a Nero program but when I try to use it to back up c drive, it says the drive is being used and might not work, so I use Macrium Reflect to back up c drive, Nero to back up files and folders. I think I got it all covered . Would welcome any suggestions you have about that. Yes it had Ceedo, but I didn't think I needed it , so I deleted it, thinking I could get it back, wrong. Its gone. Is there any way to get it back if I decide I want it back? I usually lock the task bar, was messing with it ,and didn't lock it. That part about safely removing hardware is really weird .Some times it works and some times it don't. I'm trying to figure it out. I've exited every thing on the task bar,even my AVG, and it didn't help. some times it works and some times I get the Generic volume message. I'm going to try solbjerg idea and wait for a while ,and let it do its thing. I don't need to disconnect it any way. I'll just wait on it.lol Thanks for recommending it to me, It will be much better than DVDS [garybear]

Hi gary

0xc0000010 means invalid device request

DC60.ini I don't know, but possibly connected to sound or camera or perhaps your seagate.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers

solbjerg

I found this. Does it mean any thing to anyone.I sure don't know, but think it has some thing to do with disconnecting USB. I'm sure one of you smart guys or gals know what it means.Thanks[garybear]

Hi, gary,

You're obviously getting results using only one USB plug, I wonder why there are two plugs on these drives.

Have you saved a Macrium Reflect "definition" file for your C:\ backup? If you do this you only have to click that file instead of setting all your backup parameters every time you want to create an image.

You should also burn a Rescue CD so you can access your Seagate drive if you lose Windows.

Yes, I also use Macrium Reflect to image the C:\ drive only and I use Karen's Replicator to copy my Data drive. This means I can read the backed up data files using Windows without having to load a third-party tool, although after the image is restored that programme would be installed, anyway.

Actually, I create these backups on an internal drive on my computer and have configured Karen's Replicator to copy everything on that drive to my Seagate drive after the backups are completed. This means I have two backups. A bit paranoid, eh?

As I mentioned, I don't use CEEDO, but it does look useful.

Archived