IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Timing isn't everything

The timing in SmartDefrag is really weird.

I started a Defrag&Optimize 10 minutes ago

It started saying that it would need :30: minutes to finish, this went down to :26: minutes - and then went up to :31: minutes, then down again to :25: minutes and then it finished in real time in about 5-6 minutes from start to finish.

But it does a good job!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi detailer

I don't remember - but around 1-2% I guess - about 300 fragmented files.

I just ran it because I had uninstalled AVG in order to run a chkdsk and then installed it again, so I just ran it to be back on track - so to speak.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg-Whats was the % of fragmentation after the analysis(before defrag)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi IObit

The timing is still wobbly.

Result today with SD 1.1.0.2

Started off saying it would use 55 minutes, this climbed to 1:10:00 and then dropped to 40 minutes and finished the defrag&optimize in 5 minutes.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi detailer

I don't remember - but around 1-2% I guess - about 300 fragmented files.

I just ran it because I had uninstalled AVG in order to run a chkdsk and then installed it again, so I just ran it to be back on track - so to speak.

Cheers

solbjerg

I have the latest version and noted a fluxuation in remaing time also. When the process is about 2/3, it finishes quickly.

Obviously the internal time for completion is way-off!!

Still works good for the most part doings it's intended purpose..

8)

• 3 weeks later...

I did a defrag today

Fragmentation about 9% about 3000 fragments

Ran Defrag only first

It said 6 minutes, worked down to zero and finished in 6 minutes

Ran Fast Optimize

It said 54 minutes, went down to 46, after quite some time down to 31 and shortly after to 30, finished then - the fast optimize around 15 minutes from start to finish

Ran Optimal Optimization

I said 30 minutes - it finished in 30 seconds.

The defragmenting looked good!

Cheer

solbjerg

I have the latest version and noted a fluxuation in remaing time also. When the process is about 2/3, it finishes quickly.

Obviously the internal time for completion is way-off!!

Still works good for the most part doings it's intended purpose..

8)

Hi MacPeter

Yes, I do not see any problem with the actual defrag, so it is only the timing that is weird, except in "Defrag only" which works perfectly.

Why there should be a difference I do not know, but the programmers ought to be able to see what difference there is in the timing in the different modes.

All in all a small problem, but some users shut down the application when they see (and believe) that the defragmentation is going to need very many hours to finish.

This in reality is seldom the case, when it really take a long while or never finishes or freezes it is usually caused by something else - not enough free space or very large picture - or video files.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg, everybody

I fully agree. If everything else works well...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you are right detailer

But it was just a bit of information, I do not take it very serious that the timer is bogus, the primary thing is that the defragmenting works, - and that seems to be fine.

Many timers and progress bars work in mysterious ways! :-)

But you wouldn't think that it should be that difficult to make a timer - well never mind!! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg-As I look through all of my apps. that utilize some sort of timer,or time remaining device,none of them seem to function with an degree of accuracy.Granted though,none are as far out of the ball park as SD!

Archived