IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Why does it defrag so quickly, but then take over 30 minutes the 2nd time around?

markfleener

Sometimes I'll defrag the drive within seconds, and then, I'll defrag a 2nd time not even a couple seconds later, but it will take over 30 minutes? What gives?

Why doesn't it get rid of all the fragments, even after defragging repeatedly?

Does it help to keep defragging again and again?

What do the different colors mean?

And why does it sometimes take a long time to defrag when there aren't any fragments, where as, some times there are fragments but it will defrag in seconds?

I'm mostly referring to Defragging and Optimizing and Defragging and Prioritizing in these questions, but whatever, just trying to understand weird things I'm noticing.

(Sometimes I'll defrag the drive within seconds, and then, I'll defrag a 2nd time not even a couple seconds later, but it will take over 30 minutes? What gives?)

This certainly makes no sense, and hopefully Iobit will provide an explanation.

(Why doesn't it get rid of all the fragments, even after defragging repeatedly?)

Some fragments are called Immovable because they are being used by the system at the time of defragging. Boot Time Defragging is used to enable defragging of these items.

(Does it help to keep defragging again and again?)

Absolutely not. All you are doing is reducing the lifespan of your drive unnecessarily. I defrag once a month.

(What do the different colors mean?)

If you hover over the colours at the bottom of the UI it will tell you what each colour means. Also the colours can be changed by the User.

(And why does it sometimes take a long time to defrag when there aren't any fragments, where as, some times there are fragments but it will defrag in seconds?)

Again, this makes no sense and hopefully Iobit will provide an explanation.

• Like 1

Hello,

This is Cicely from IObit.

It is my honor to explan the following questions.

Sometimes I'll defrag the drive within seconds, and then, I'll defrag a 2nd time not even a couple seconds later, but it will take over 30 minutes? What gives?

Did you notice the method of the defrag? If you choose Smart Defrag, Smart Defrag will run different defrag methods according to your PC's situation. Each method adopt different algorithm so it may take seconds or hours to finish the task.

If you mean it is on the system disk, it is very normal as the fragmentations are created all the time when the system is running. Smart Defrag is unable to detect the newly created fragmentations. As a result, it will find thousands of fragmentations just after Smart Defrag finishes the defrag.

It is recommended you defrag your PC once a month.

As Scannan said, if you hover over the colours at the bottom of the UI it will tell you what each colour means.

And why does it sometimes take a long time to defrag when there aren't any fragments, where as, some times there are fragments but it will defrag in seconds?

If there is some large files on the disk, it will need much more time to defrag even if there is no fragmentations.

I hope it can help you know Smart Defrag much better.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

This is Cicely from IObit.

It is my honor to explan the following questions.

Did you notice the method of the defrag? If you choose Smart Defrag, Smart Defrag will run different defrag methods according to your PC's situation. Each method adopt different algorithm so it may take seconds or hours to finish the task.

If you mean it is on the system disk, it is very normal as the fragmentations are created all the time when the system is running. Smart Defrag is unable to detect the newly created fragmentations. As a result, it will find thousands of fragmentations just after Smart Defrag finishes the defrag.

It is recommended you defrag your PC once a month.

As Scannan said, if you hover over the colours at the bottom of the UI it will tell you what each colour means.

If there is some large files on the disk, it will need much more time to defrag even if there is no fragmentations.

I hope it can help you know Smart Defrag much better.

Regarding your reply to my first question, yes, I know about the different kinds of defrag. No, the difference in time is not because I'm using different types of defrag.

Regarding your reply to my last question, no, it's not a large file that's causing this issue.

Regarding your reply to my first question, yes, I know about the different kinds of defrag. No, the difference in time is not because I'm using different types of defrag.

Regarding your reply to my last question, no, it's not a large file that's causing this issue.

As you disagree with the possible reasons for the issue, It would appear that you already know the reasons for the issues,

Please share this info with us.

As you disagree with the possible reasons for the issue, It would appear that you already know the reasons for the issues,

Please share this info with us.

I don't know what's up. I disagreed with the answer to the first question because the difference in time is not caused by my selecting different defrag methods (it happens even if I keep trying the same defrag method). I disagreed with the answer to the last question because there aren't any large files on the drive.

Thank you for the reply. This explains things more clearly.

Are you using windows own defrag and also smart defrag. If so this can cause conflict.

Thank you for the reply. This explains things more clearly.

Are you using windows own defrag and also smart defrag. If so this can cause conflict.

I stopped using Windows defrag when I found this program.

Windows is setup to automatically defrag. Have you disabled windows defrag.

Windows is setup to automatically defrag. Have you disabled windows defrag.

Absolutely. I forgot to mention, I have two identical external drives (one is a back up of the other). The drive the software seems to be taking a while with had been reformatted. The issue started right after. I spent an entire day defragging again and again. That's when I noticed my first issue (Sometimes I'll defrag the drive within seconds, and then, I'll defrag a 2nd time not even a couple seconds later, but it will take over 30 minutes). I just now tried all the various types of defragmentation again on both drives. It still took the reformatted drive longer to finish, but it's no longer taking a very long time like it was that day I started this thread. It finished within a couple minutes, so whatever the issue was, it appears to be resolving itself, not sure, still though, was pretty weird.

It was probably the type of reformat that caused the issue. This seems to be more common with external drives.

Windows has issues with external drive labels. Also with handling bad sector errors on external drives.

I have seen occasions where it took almost aday to reformat a 500 GB external drive when the option to repair bad sectors was selected.

Also the MFT has to be reconstructed so that may have contributed to the long defrag.

I would suggest that you try windows own defrag and optimise on the suspect drive to see if the same issue occurs.