IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Over the top/Clean install

solbjerg

In the Forum we sometimes use special expressions which once in a while isn't clearly understood. Here is a more verbose description :-)

Over the top:

This is often used to describe the process of installing a program, where you leave it completely up to the Install program to do the uninstall of the old program or/and Install of the new program.

This usually means that it is installed in the previous folder for that program and the files and folders in the program folder with the same name is deleted and exchanged with the new version.

This is often OK, but sometimes the previous program has created new folders/files in the program folder, and these are not deleted ( we call these "leftovers") and they can sometimes be the reason for problems in the performance of the new program version.

Clean Install:

If you experience trouble after an "Over the top" installation, we often recommend that you do a "Clean Install". This entails uninstalling the previous program through the uninstall command or through Control Panel/Add-Remove programs. And after that to delete either the folder of the program usually located in C:\programs/IObit - and then either ASC folder or SmartDefrag folder or deleting the relevant content of the folder.

(Usually it is easier just to delete the folder)

After this is accomplished we often also recommend that the registry is cleaned for "leftovers" by another registry cleaner.

This whole process of a Clean uninstallation before the actual Install can be accomplished by an application called Revo Uninstaller.

When all this is done you install the new program version.

This is what we understand by a "Clean Install".

Please feel free to edit or add to this description.

Thank you!

Cheers

solbjerg

Great

Hey solbjerg. Great thread. That's exactly what happened to me and asc3, that you helped me to fix, and I got so upset with. Its working great ,thanks again for your help. I was just thinking today, what if there were a thread where you could post a question and get answers from the experts similar to the one you just posted. A thread where people could ask a question and not have to start a thread of their own. I have a lot of simple little questions, but I don't want to start a thread just for one simple little questions. I hesitate to start a thread like this, because it might get to be over whelming for you guys. You could also use the thread for great tips like the one you just posted . A question I would ask for example would be, when you use the utilities tool; check for up date drivers,and it shows there are new drivers for your os, is it safe to down load the new drivers or if every thing is working maybe you should just leave them alone. I have got in trouble down loading drivers before. Here's a tip from me if your going to create a back up of your HDD, you need to exit asc3 in the system tray, or your back up might not work ,or be corrupted. Live Well[garybear]PS what good is asc3 doing in the start up tray? Is it serving some purpose there?

Hi gary

I am hoping that some more users will chime in, so that more functions and items will be explained in an easy to understand way.

But I will write some more descriptions/explanations when I get around to it.

About driver update, you have to check the information about the driver before installing it, and then double check!! Be advised that some of them are so new that they haven't been confirmed by Microsoft.

At least it gives you a pointer, and that fine too.

Be careful - before installing! Make a return to previous driver possible!

In the settings of ASC you can choose not to have it start at StartUp and also to not have it in the system tray, as far as I remember.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey solbjerg. Great thread. That's exactly what happened to me and asc3, that you helped me to fix, and I got so upset with. Its working great ,thanks again for your help. I was just thinking today, what if there were a thread where you could post a question and get answers from the experts similar to the one you just posted. A thread where people could ask a question and not have to start a thread of their own. I have a lot of simple little questions, but I don't want to start a thread just for one simple little questions. I hesitate to start a thread like this, because it might get to be over whelming for you guys. You could also use the thread for great tips like the one you just posted . A question I would ask for example would be, when you use the utilities tool; check for up date drivers,and it shows there are new drivers for your os, is it safe to down load the new drivers or if every thing is working maybe you should just leave them alone. I have got in trouble down loading drivers before. Here's a tip from me if your going to create a back up of your HDD, you need to exit asc3 in the system tray, or your back up might not work ,or be corrupted. Live Well[garybear]PS what good is asc3 doing in the start up tray? Is it serving some purpose there?

Fyi

I just learned that if you have asc3 running in your tray, you cannot do a safe mode start up(f8). I unchecked in so it wouldn't start up after restart , but how can I keep it off my tray? I know I can exit and get rid of it, but if it doesn't need to be there I would like to keep if off always. It comes back to tray after I use asc3. It also keeps me from backing up my hard drive. If its doing these things, what else might it cause. If it doesn't need to be in tray to work properly then I would like for it not to put its self there.Is there an option some where for this, to keep it off my tray.??Thanks. Live Well!![garybear]

Hi gary

Have you unchecked it in Options?

Take a look at the attached thumbnail.

Cheers

solbjerg

I just learned that if you have asc3 running in your tray, you cannot do a safe mode start up(f8). I unchecked in so it wouldn't start up after restart , but how can I keep it off my tray? I know I can exit and get rid of it, but if it doesn't need to be there I would like to keep if off always. It comes back to tray after I use asc3. It also keeps me from backing up my hard drive. If its doing these things, what else might it cause. If it doesn't need to be in tray to work properly then I would like for it not to put its self there.Is there an option some where for this, to keep it off my tray.??Thanks. Live Well!![garybear]

Archived