IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Tech ? How Disk Contents Are Defragged

First allow me to tell you that your product is <Toni the Toger> GGRRREEEAAATTT!!! (Your others not too bad either ;-))

I have 40 years computer experience and have used PCs since 1970s. I have used lots of defrag SW and from my tests, yours is currently definitely among the tops. Anyway...

I am not an industrial spy, not looking for sekrits etc. Just a conceptual answer is fine. Please understand that I do understand disk and file structures in detail. (In answering, other readers may not.) However...

I have a 90 GB hard drive that has ~ 250,000 link (.lnk) files on it as a result of having DeepFreeze installed. Now I understand that link files are "hidden/invisible" as are another ~ 10 or so other file types.

? How are these treated by a defrag program? Though I may be ignorant, my understanding is that though they cannot easily be "seen" they are still on the disk, occupying space and are part of the file structure.

I would appreciate elaboration. Thanks. JoW

Hi JoWazzoo,

Please have a look at this post and other posts in the same thread.

It may not be what you are asking, but apart from the test images, this is the information we have about the algorithm of Smart Defrag.

I did not uderstand why there are ~250,000 link (.lnk) files (shortcuts?) because of DeepFreeze program is installed. And why they should be "hidden/invisible". Unfortunately I don't use that program for protection of configuration and malicious demage. Even if they are hidden, I believe, they are hidden to the user not to the access of system tools, such as defragmentation and even user access!

Normally, shortcut files are with a size of 1-2 KBs, and they are scattered all over the disk as the other files, in the tiny spaces between them with small probability of fragmenting. They are treated as the other normal files. (Not like System Files.)

May be, if you elaborate your question a bit, someone can give better answers.

Cheers.

Archived