IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

1.10 will not DEFRAG drive G:

Including version 1.0.3, I have been using this FABULOUS software for several months without any problems (including the "optimize" option) to defragment my HDD drives C:, F: and G: (where D: and E: are DVD-ROM and DVD+-RW drives).

A few days ago, I installed 1.10 and while it appears to be defragging drive G:, after it completes there are always fragments remaining. Unfortunately, when I chose to install 1.10, I deleted my 1.03 file, otherwise I would reinstall it. I tried a file recover program, but it could not recover the file.

I should also mention that 1.10 successfully defrags my C: and F: drives without any apparent problems.

As a short-term fix, I downloaded and installed BRAND X 1.06.118 and it defrags drive G: without any problems - the whole drive, or individual files.

Prior to using BRAND X, I uninstalled 1.10, cleaned my Registry of all traces, rebooted, and reinstalled 1.10 but the problem remains.

I'm running Window XP SP2 with current Windows Updates thru 24 JAN 09.

I prefer Smart Defrag over BRAND X, but need to defrag my drive G: whenever I use NERO to make DVDs from recorded TV programs.

Any 1.10 suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

CurlySue

Hi Sue

What were your settings for large files?

Cheers

solbjerg

Including version 1.0.3, I have been using this FABULOUS software for several months without any problems (including the "optimize" option) to defragment my HDD drives C:, F: and G: (where D: and E: are DVD-ROM and DVD+-RW drives).

A few days ago, I installed 1.10 and while it appears to be defragging, after it completes there are always fragments remaining. Unfortunately, when I chose to install 1.10, I deleted my 1.03 file, otherwise I would reinstall it. I tried a file recover program, but it could not recover the file.

As a short-term fix, I downloaded and installed BRAND X 1.06.118 and it defrags drive G: without any problems - the whole drive, or individual files.

Prior to using BRAND X, I uninstalled 1.10, cleaned my Registry of all traces, rebooted, and reinstalled 1.10 but the problem remains.

I'm running Window XP SP2 with current Windows Updates thru 24 JAN 09.

I prefer Smart Defrag over BRAND X, but need to defrag my drive G: whenever I use NERO to make DVDs from recorded TV programs.

Any 1.10 suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

CurlySue

DO NOT KNOW WHY MY PREVIOUS REPLY WAS DELETED, BUT I AM GLAD THAT I KEPT A COPY AND HERE IT IS . . .

Hi Sue

What were your settings for large files?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg!

Thank you for your reply.

The quick answer is that there is no limit set.

The long answer states that I should have added that I am not running Advanced SystemCare and have Smart Defrag installed on a desktop PC.

Since I began using Smart Defrag, around August 2008, I have always employed the following settings (recognizing that one or more may be not have been available before 1.10's release):

AUTO DEFRAG

Auto Defrag is disabled

Settings

- Enable Auto Defrag - unchecked

- Pause Auto Defrag - grayed out

- Start Auto Defrag - grayed out

SCHEDULE

Schedule Task, all drives C:\, F:\ and G:\ are unchecked.

Options

- Enable Schedule - unchecked

OPTIONS

General - all unchecked

- Minimize to system tray...

- Load automatically at...

- Automatically check...

- Enable tooltip...

Defragment - all unchecked

- Enable SmartSilent...

- Stop defrag...

- Skip files larger...

Any other thoughts?

Thank you.

CS

very informative answer

Fine Sue! Very informative!

My only remaining question is: The G: drive - is that a partition, an extra harddisk on your computer or an external harddisk?

Can't think of a possible solution though, sorry!

Cheers

solbjerg

DO NOT KNOW WHY MY PREVIOUS REPLY WAS DELETED, BUT I AM GLAD THAT I KEPT A COPY AND HERE IT IS . . .

Hi solbjerg!

Thank you for your reply.

The quick answer is that there is no limit set.

The long answer states that I should have added that I am not running Advanced SystemCare and have Smart Defrag installed on a desktop PC.

Since I began using Smart Defrag, around August 2008, I have always employed the following settings (recognizing that one or more may be not have been available before 1.10's release):

AUTO DEFRAG

Auto Defrag is disabled

Settings

- Enable Auto Defrag - unchecked

- Pause Auto Defrag - grayed out

- Start Auto Defrag - grayed out

SCHEDULE

Schedule Task, all drives C:\, F:\ and G:\ are unchecked.

Options

- Enable Schedule - unchecked

OPTIONS

General - all unchecked

- Minimize to system tray...

- Load automatically at...

- Automatically check...

- Enable tooltip...

Defragment - all unchecked

- Enable SmartSilent...

- Stop defrag...

- Skip files larger...

Any other thoughts?

Thank you.

CS

> Fine Sue! Very informative!

Thank you, solbjerg. :)

> My only remaining question is: The G: drive - is that a partition, an extra harddisk on your computer or an external harddisk?

I have one HDD, and the G: drive is a logical drive. Previously, I referred to drives F: and G: as partitions - I should have said, logical drives in the extended partition.

> Can't think of a possible solution though, sorry!

Bummer.

Do you know where I can download version 1.03?

Prior to posting, I looked everywhere on the Internet and any website that references it, does so with a link to your website which translates to the 1.10 release.

Thanks again, solbjerg. :)

CurlySue

Hi Sue

Enoskype usually provides a link under News and Offers.

The version number 1.1.0.2 (or 3) refers to the version of the .exe file in the SD folder.

Cheers

solbjerg

edit: I think I misunderstood, but the previous 103 is hard to find I think, I myself do not even have it anymore in my downloads folder.

> Fine Sue! Very informative!

Thank you, solbjerg. :)

> My only remaining question is: The G: drive - is that a partition, an extra harddisk on your computer or an external harddisk?

I have one HDD, and the G: drive is a logical drive. Previously, I referred to drives F: and G: as partitions - I should have said, logical drives in the extended partition.

> Can't think of a possible solution though, sorry!

Bummer.

Do you know where I can download version 1.03?

Prior to posting, I looked everywhere on the Internet and any website that references it, does so with a link to your website which translates to the 1.10 release.

Thanks again, solbjerg. :)

CurlySue

Hi Sue

Enoskype usually provides a link under News and Offers.

The version number 1.1.0.2 (or 3) refers to the version of the .exe file in the SD folder.

Cheers

solbjerg

According to my directories, I downloaded release 1.10 on 17 JAN 09 and my "IObit SmartDefrag.exe" is version 1.1.0.2

I checked News and Offers and only found 1.10 and 1.10.2, I do not find any reference to "release" 1.03 (not to be confused with a typo as in 1.1.0.3) which, I believe, was released in November 2008.

Any other thoughts where I can find release 1.03 dating back to November 2008? That "release" worked perfectly.

Thank again!!

CurlySue

Hi Sue

I found this link as a possible

http://www.torrentreactor.net/torrents/2590192/Portable-IObit-SmartDefrag-1-03-Multilanguage

Cheers

solbjerg

According to my directories, I downloaded release 1.10 on 17 JAN 09 and my "IObit SmartDefrag.exe" is version 1.1.0.2

I checked News and Offers and only found 1.10 and 1.10.2, I do not find any reference to "release" 1.03 (not to be confused with a typo as in 1.1.0.3) which, I believe, was released in November 2008.

Any other thoughts where I can find release 1.03 dating back to November 2008? That "release" worked perfectly.

Thank again!!

CurlySue

Nah . . . I am not a torrent downloader. That being said, I put my torrent attitude aside, registered and starting the download - it went 29 segments and was downloading at less than 50Bps so I terminated the download and removed my newly registered account. I will not be trying any torrent downloads again.

Since replying to your last response, I have loaded 1.1.0.2 on sixteen other PCs. These other PCs all have at least 2 logical drives (e.g. C:, D: and E:, or C:, E: and F:, or C:, F: and G:) and the same problem exists with every PC. What a shame.

Since it appears that 1.03 no longer exists, its time for me to cut my losses and DUMP SmartDefrag for several months until this issue has been resolved, or, if necessary, permanently. In addition to the sixteen PC installs, I gave ACS a try, but it totally eff'd up my Registry. Good thing I activated Windows System Restore prior to installing it. Its important to mention that I did try ACS's restore option first. Its restore option was incomplete and that is why I used Windows System Restore.

I also installed ACS on four other PCs and ran into similar Registry problems. I'm guessing the optimization algorithms or routines are currently flawed in some regard when applied to XP SP2. Oh well. It was nice while it lasted. Defraggler, here I come.

Sorry to have wasted your valuable time as well as my own on this issue.

Thanks again,

CS

Hi CurlySue,

You can find the reference to the release of SD 1.03 here in the News & Offer section in the Forum.

You have to change the "Showing Threads" value down below the page, to see the older threads in that section.

I have de-linked the links, because the links were not valid and were linking to new versions.

Now, please check your PM. (Personal Message) - folder

Cheers.

EDIT:

enoskype Note: Isn't it Private Messages Solbjerg?

FINISHED!

Thank you, enoskype. That was very kind of you. :o)

I was not looking forward to using Defraggler. Prior to using Smart Defrag, I was using Diskeeper 9.0 a free version that was bundled with an Intel Tools package. It was nice, but plagued the user with a pop-up window - that I disabled, but still had to deal with a minor notice - each time it was executed.

Thanks again!!

Best regards,

CurlySue

Hi again!

After a manual cleaning my Registry from any and all Smart Defrag references, including, but not limited to, "Smart Defrag" and "SmartDefrag" and "IObit", as well as a system scrubbing using CCleaner, EasyCleaner, etc, I downloaded and installed release 1.03 and it has no problems defragging my G: drive!!!

I'm back with Smart Defrag - just not the latest release. Some day I'll give the latest and greatest release a try. Till then, however, I am VERY HAPPY with 1.03

Thank you solbjerg, enoskype and Serpico. Thank you ALL!!!

CurlySue

You are absolutely welcome Sue!

Nice talking to you

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi again!

After a manual cleaning my Registry from any and all Smart Defrag references, including, but not limited to, "Smart Defrag" and "SmartDefrag" and "IObit", as well as a system scrubbing using CCleaner, EasyCleaner, etc, I downloaded and installed release 1.03 and it has no problems defragging my G: drive!!!

I'm back with Smart Defrag - just not the latest release. Some day I'll give the latest and greatest release a try. Till then, however, I am VERY HAPPY with 1.03

Thank you solbjerg, enoskype and Serpico. Thank you ALL!!!

CurlySue

I use 1.0.3 too CurlySue, because 1.1 will not autodefrag my both drives C and D, i have no idea why.

1.1 autodefrags only drive C.

I tried every configuration from Smartdefrag 1.1, nothing worked.

With 1.03 I do not have any problem so I stay with this version.

1.03 autodefrag both drives, C: and D:

By the way: C and D are both physical drives, D is not only a partition.

Greetings,

Serpico

I use 1.0.3 too CurlySue, because 1.1 will not autodefrag my both drives C and D, i have no idea why.

1.1 autodefrags only drive C.

I tried every configuration from Smartdefrag 1.1, nothing worked.

With 1.03 I do not have any problem so I stay with this version.

1.03 autodefrag both drives, C: and D:

By the way: C and D are both physical drives, D is not only a partition.

Greetings,

Serpico

Thanks again for your support, Serpico.

Happy to hear 1.03 is working for you, but, like you I bet, I wish 1.1 did not have any problems. Good thing its a work in progress - an EXCELLENT piece of work, I might add!!!

Best regards,

CurlySue

Archived