IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Power Options & Recycle Don't work

wildwillie

Thanks Samr for the quick reply.

.. I was eatin' supper, so I didn't see it right away. You're RIGHT that fixed it.

I'd never clicked that box, and Recycle Bin worked O.K. until about 2 years ago when I installed that blasted Norton's System Works. It put another Recycle Bin on the desktop & must have disabled the regular one.

The other problem.. in Control Panel (Power Options) just won't do anything.

All of the others pop open a window and work O.K.

Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

Samr, Thank you again.

Power options

Hey wildwillie . try this. Open windows in window explorer. Open system 32. Find powercfg. Right click on powercfg. Right click properties. Make sure it says open with Windows Shell Common Dll. If not , change it to open with Windows Shell Common Dll. That the way mine works.[garybear]

Hi willie

If you right click the desktop, choose properties and the tab Screen you shold be able to see your settings for power mangement there.

Perhaps a sfc /scannow can cure the problem for you, or perhaps just a Windows chckdsk!

Cheers

solbjerg

.. I was eatin' supper, so I didn't see it right away. You're RIGHT that fixed it.

I'd never clicked that box, and Recycle Bin worked O.K. until about 2 years ago when I installed that blasted Norton's System Works. It put another Recycle Bin on the desktop & must have disabled the regular one.

The other problem.. in Control Panel (Power Options) just won't do anything.

All of the others pop open a window and work O.K.

Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

Samr, Thank you again.

Thanks to all - not fixed, but I can now make it work..!

Thanks solbjerg, samr & garybear..

I tried all suggestions, except Solbjerg's sfc /scannow & chckdsk (I'm gonna try those later to see if it will fix the access problems from desktop properties or from Control Panel...

BUT MEANWHILE, garybear's 1st idea to search windows for powercfg was really helpful. My computer was (the same as garybears) also set to open powercfg.cpl with Windows Shell Common Dll.. (The problem hadn't changed.)

but then I right clicked on powercfg.cpl & chose "open with control panel" and IT WORKED! I also right clicked on it & chose "open with" & then used the recommended program "Windows Shell Common Dll", & it ALSO WORKED..!

I can now access & control the power settings, even if I can't access them normally from Control Panel or the Desktop Properties.

Thank you, everyone for the help WW

• 2 weeks later...

Problem, wasn't really fixed, but here's the solution

It WAS working, although it was a back-door fix. The normal way to access Power Options still wasn't working.

Then NEXT DAY the back-door access didn't work.

I'd had Nortons Anti-Virus but replaced it with AVG, (It's hell to get rid of Nortons)

I ran AVG,... It found a Trojan, that I think caused the problem.Anyhow, I cleaned it out. Then ran sfc /scannow as Solbjerg suggested,

and BANG.. Problem Solved. Thanks Solbjerg..!

I also found instructions on the net to fix my computer so I don't need to fool with the XP or Recovery disk in the future...

It's simple.. Copy the folder I386 from the XP or Recovery Disk and paste it on the C Drive. Then run regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

On the right side find Source Path. It will have: E:\ or some other letter pointing to your CD drive.

Double-click on Source Path and a box will open allowing you to change the letter to C.

You want to end up with Source Path pointing to C:\

Now when you run sfc /scannow (make sure the space is there), you won't need your original disk... Hallelujah..!

Hi wildwillie

Very good willie!!

About sfc /scannow

If you have an old Install disc and you have updated to sp2 or sp3 it sometimes does not recognize the disk as the right one.

To overcome that problem you have to do an update of your i386 and slipstream the relevant sp into the folder.

Described in these links

www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/slipstream-xp-service-pack-3.shtml

Cheers

solbjerg

It WAS working, although it was a back-door fix. The normal way to access Power Options still wasn't working.

Then NEXT DAY the back-door access didn't work.

I'd had Nortons Anti-Virus but replaced it with AVG, (It's hell to get rid of Nortons)

I ran AVG,... It found a Trojan, that I think caused the problem.Anyhow, I cleaned it out. Then ran sfc /scannow as Solbjerg suggested,

and BANG.. Problem Solved. Thanks Solbjerg..!

I also found instructions on the net to fix my computer so I don't need to fool with the XP or Recovery disk in the future...

It's simple.. Copy the folder I386 from the XP or Recovery Disk and paste it on the C Drive. Then run regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

On the right side find Source Path. It will have: E:\ or some other letter pointing to your CD drive.

Double-click on Source Path and a box will open allowing you to change the letter to C.

You want to end up with Source Path pointing to C:\

Now when you run sfc /scannow (make sure the space is there), you won't need your original disk... Hallelujah..!

Tall Cotton

Hey solbjerg. I did every thing in this thread. Got me a brand new shinny os cd with xp3 integrated in it, copied I386 to my c drive, cloned my c drive to my USB ,also got another HDD drive and cloned c drive there. Am I sxxxxxxx in tall cotton or what lol? I'm ready for a bear attack. I love this forum. A lot of smart people here, and I really enjoy every one. Thank you forum for your wisdom, and your friend ship .I'm a life time fan, and hope I can contribute a little from time to time. Hey Ted am I doing it like you do it,lol??[garybear]

Hi gary

Good work partner!

Did it then afterwards work flawlessly with the sfc /scannow command?

So now you can assist people that want to do the same - great!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey solbjerg. I did every thing in this thread. Got me a brand new shinny os cd with xp3 integrated in it, copied I386 to my c drive, cloned my c drive to my USB ,also got another HDD drive and cloned c drive there. Am I sxxxxxxx in tall cotton or what lol? I'm ready for a bear attack. I love this forum. A lot of smart people here, and I really enjoy every one. Thank you forum for your wisdom, and your friend ship .I'm a life time fan, and hope I can contribute a little from time to time. Hey Ted am I doing it like you do it,lol??[garybear]

I guess all is well

Hi solberg. I did a sfc /scannow,and it completed flawlessly .It never asked for my new cd, but I'll have it when I need it. If my files ever get corrupted , I'll be ready ,and slap that sucker in ,and turn it loose(lol). I am willing to help anyone with this, but think you would do a much better job than I could.Live well friend![gary]

Archived