IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

AWC Optimizations List

Clayton

ntfsdisable8dot3namecreation

my string is configured to 0

and I haven't observed any ill effects.

I use XP windows, and I think I saw somewhere that the 8 character lenght for names had been changed, so my guess is that it is OK to let the AWC recommandation stand.

BUT I am not quite sure, so try advise elsewhere too.

The most prudent is perhaps to put it in the Ignore List for the time being, as I am almost certain that the effect that it will have on optimization is quite small.

Couple of points.

ListviewWatermark

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListviewWatermark]

"DefaultValue"=dword:00000001

Shadows and tansparancy, seen through other windows: On/Off

-----------------------------------------------------------------

NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation

"DefaultValue"=dword:00000001

Determines whether NTFS generates a short name in the 8.3 naming convention for long file names and for file names that contain characters from the extended character set. If the value of this entry is 0, files can have two names: the name that the user specifies and the short name that NTFS generates. If the name the user specifies conforms to the 8.3 naming convention, NTFS does not generate a short name.

Changing this value does not change the file, but it does change the way NTFS displays and manages the file.

Value=0

NTFS creates short file names. This setting enables applications that cannot process long file names and computers that use different code pages to find the files.

ATTENSION!!!

Value=1

NTFS does not create short file names. Although this setting increases file performance, applications that cannot process long file names and computers that use different code pages might not be able to find the files.

Solbjerg,

Warning and disclaimer:

ItweakU Pro=>System=>Use this option with caution=>Remove"~1" after long filenames.

thanks enoskype & solbjerg

I really appreciate that explanation.

Passing to other topic, I've noticed that the AWC suggested optimization to disable the terminal services does more harm than good, at last in my particular case.

I use Windows Desktop Search, and if terminal services is disabled, then the WDS is not present so I'm unable to search anything with my WDS.

It's weird since one must think that WDS depends upon the index service, but guess what, the index service could be disabled and WDS still works as long as the terminal services is running.

Other issue happens with my intel proset wireless application, if terminal services are disabled, the application hangs about 2 minutes before I can start it, but when terminal services are on, it starts at a blazing speed. weirdo eh?

Anyway, despite that, I've not found any issue using the "top performance" optimization routines.

In fact my laptop works pretty good and fast.

Best regards

I have doubt on another optimization of AWC Pro:

Optimize Network Card - disabletaskoffload

current value = 1

AWC Pro suggested value = 0

This entry just appeared after I installed Cisco VPN Client, which created another network adapter.

I've googled about it and most sites say that turning it to 0 will gain a bit of network performance, other few sites just suggest it to leave it as 1.

I'd like to know at detail what does this entry is for.

I'm going to try AWC Pro suggestion.

Thanks

ektorbarajas

• 4 weeks later...

False System Settings: iopagelocklimit ?

I just found that AWC pro, for a top performance profile, suggest that registry value to be = 0.

I just wanted to know what exactly does this key does? and why AWC pro suggest a value = 0?

For what I browsed on the web.

this can enhance the I/O operations on some windows 2000 version and according to the following link it has no effect on win xp:

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t25684.html

But I'd appreciate and advice from you iobit guys or users who know more than me :lol:

IoPageLockLimit

Hi ektorbarajas,

IoPageLockLimit specifies the maximum number of bytes that can be locked for I/O operations.

The amount of physical memory on the computer determines the maximum lock limit.

The default value is =0

With this value, system sets it to 512 KB.

The value entered takes precedence over the system default and is used as the IoPageLockLimit .

As you mentioned, Kernel in XP does not reference the value.

I wouldn't play with the value in any case, because maximum values should be different and souldn't exceed certain values with different actual physical memory of individual PCs.

I hope this information is satisfactory, I don't know much more.:!:

The rest should come from Clayton and IObit.:-D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Generally, when Windows XP came into the spotlight several years back it was thought to be the fastest OS ever... right. Anyway, there is a lot of junk that comes packed into the OS that slows it down, but there are also some tools packed into it that will help speed it up. You may have heard of some programs like Microsoft's own "Bootvis." What this does it optimize the file placement on your harddisk according to your computing activity.

This means that the more that you use your computer, the program gathers more information about your computing activity and places files at strategic locations on the drive that conform to this data (front or end of drive, with other files, etc.) This is often also accomplished with a defragmentation of the drive (and XP also often does this defragmentation according to layout.ini, which provides the information about the placement of prefetch files and such). However, unlike defragmentation, this boot optimization is done only every so often and is automatic (if turned on.) This optimization in AWC simply turns on this built in feature so that it runs more frequently to improve boot times seen by your computer.

Archived