IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Someone is Stealing my Data!

Ted

My ISP sells Data at $1.95 for 500 mbs $2.95 for 1gb and then a super deal at $14.95 for 10 gbs. ( The unused portion is carried over to the following month). I bought a 10gb pack a while ago thinking it would last about 4 months with my usage. I check every few days to see how I'm going and Hell's Bells! my Data usage jumped last week from 20% to 79% in a couple of days. Two days alone each showed 1.4 gbs being used. I knew this couldn't be right so I contacted my ISP and it appears that someone else is using my connection. I've changed my modem's User Name and Password so will hope for the best.

About a fortnight before this happened, I returned my DSL modem to my ISP (Under Warranty) and they supplied me with a new one, so I think the solution may lie there, somehow.

I downloaded and installed a freeware Net Meter named: NetMeter so I can keep my finger on the pulse from now on.

The culprit is still bleeding my Data, so I think he must still be connected.

Hi Ted,

Assuming that you can adjust from your DSL Modem (entering it with 192.168.1.1 IP address with user name and password), one thing to do is to give permission only to your PC's Mac:address, and forbid all others to connect to your modem. Try it and see if it stops. Check if this adjustment is changed when you think someone else is using your modem.

Cheers.

Hi, enoskype,

Yes, I'm getting pretty good now at typing that address in my modem and modifying my Username and Password.

Funny you should mention the MAC:Address as I was just reading about it. My Broadband connection is not Wireless, so would those instructions still apply?

Tell me more... about the picture frames

I guess I missed out on the news about the digital picture frames.

My wife got one as a gift. She hasn't used it yet!

Do you know what kind or whatever came with the virus?

... I'm already becoming alergic to digital picture frames..

She was planning to load pics on it, but now I'm really nervous..

Hi Ted-Same thing with the new modem?Maybe it's the culprit.Remember the digital picture frames sold around the holidays that came with a free virus?Since anything seems possible,maybe the modem has a little something extra inside?!

here in the UK most accounts give unlimited usage can you not get that in NZ.

Hi, sunny,

I suppose there may be such a plan, but it would be mighty pricey. There is unlimited usage for most dialup plans, though.

My ISP closed down my Broadband connection yesterday and that cut off the Data thief as well. Not knowing my new password should keep him out now. Apparently my faulty modem had been reurned to the manufacturer without having been reset. A lesson learned for all. My ISP has compensated me well. So far; so good.

Archived