IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Seriously pissed off with IOBits colloboration with ITop

adrewetx

I've been a fan of IOBit for almost 10 years, and held numerous subscriptions.  IoBit has always recommended the occasional app via install, but their latest venture with iTop is going to be hugely damaging to their reputation.  I work in IT, and I'm confident and cautious in ensuring I'm aware of what's being installed, but IOBit is now adopting some very sneaky approaches to the promotion of ITop.

Hidden in the update options, using stealth, I'm now finding numerous ITop apps such as VPN and screen recorders are being installed without my known consent.  Let me be clear, I did not knowingly consent to these being installed, though I'm sure it's there, somewhere in the small print.

Congrats IOBit;  I'm now heavily dependent on IObit uninstaller to keep removing the iTop apps you install.   

I won't be renewing with IOBit again.  They've crossed the line.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi adrewetx and Martin Konopko,

Sorry to bring you nconvenience.

At present, we are partnered with iTop VPN to help promote its product iTop VPN, which can provide private access to the Internet with military-grade protection.

I have forwarded your concern to our product team and market team. They will consider this kind of marketing activities and make a better balance in future.

And you can always refuse to install it or you can remove it if you installed it accidently. 

Have a good time!

On 9/6/2021 at 4:59 AM, Cicely said:

I have forwarded your concern to our product team and market team. They will consider this kind of marketing activities and make a better balance in future.

And you can always refuse to install it or you can remove it if you installed it accidently.

This is a serious matter, and I fully understand OP's concerns. In all respect, here are two scenarios that iObit, who's pretending to offer solutions that are part of fighting malware/spamware/spyware/viruses, should, or better said, must be aware of : what it should be; what it otherwise would be.

Since the advent of the Web, experiences of vendors and services alike having activities on the Web along a growing client base came up with ethical behaviors that makes the Web a better environment for everyone, for user as well or as for businesses. Some are not enforced by formal legislations while counting on everyone's good will, however they could become as such if they continue to get ignored.

What it should be

For free product versions, users understand they'd maybe have to endure advertisements for other products. Even from third parties, although this would be a tricky business for the provider as these products are then considered to be "adware" (and to some extent "spyware"). It's normal, they know the developer/vendor should get something in return. Some clever developers actually use these as bridges towards their flagship products asking for a paid license (their advertisement being their free  products): that's what iObit does btw.

What it otherwise would be

The aggravation rises when users pay for a product that keeps acting as if they'd never paid anything, in regard to your  advertisement activities/revenues: the common, justified and legitimate perception being that even though they've paid for a product, the company continues to consider them as their ow products for selling advertisements, as an asset for consolidating advertisement revenues or the object of whatever agreement iObit could come up with third parties! Your paying customers are people, as the word "customers" implies, not "assets" that can be sold out to advertising customers or third party partners.

Imagine if every business on the Web was acting like this : we'd go back something like 10-20 years ago when it became a real problem, and the main reason for installing spamware/malware/spyware/adware fighters 😉.

In short - it's not because something would allow you to make more money, that it's necessarily good: since you're dealing with human beings rather than mere "economical agents", there's a backdraft in the balance and to take into consideration. For instance, paying customers who stop to be paying customers (losing some grounds on your customer base), as the OP implies: it's a matter of mutual respect...

Simple Solutions

For paying customers, there could be two possibilities:

1. op-out from advertising e-mails;
  2. when a customer leaves an advertised product like iTop VPN on the side (maybe they don't want a VPN or already have one), then iObit should STOP feeding them with such, permanently, unless the customer chooses to change that behavior from some option parameter.

Iobit makes great products that can speak for themselves, which is why I took the time to write this post, in all respect. Please, accept my best regards and have a good continuation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Ulmwë,

Thanks for your sugegstion.

Thanks for your trust of IObit

Well, actually, users can op-out as you mentioned. They can untick the program if you do not need or they can close the X button to refuse it.

Have a good time!

i see iobit is gonna skirt around the problem,.  what didnt you understand with the OP.?, its not advertising,  its automatically downloading and installing on our systems,  with NO OPTION TO TELL IT NO,  OR EVEN LETTING US KNOW ITS GOING TO DO SO. 

this is a blatant betrayal of your customers trust.  free or paid, 

and before the first iobit moron says,  well you can just uninstall it,,  we shouldn't have to,  period,  and remember,  your regular software can be uninstalled as well. 

• Like 2

Hi 
I have to agree on what has been sed above… I consider myself as a relatively advanced PC-user and still I have been tricked with the installation of iTop VPN more than once. Last time for about 30 minutes ago when upgrading Driver Boost. I never got the question if I wanted to install iTop. And if its so hidden I don’t see it then the purpose is to trick me into something I don’t want.

I have a policy on everything I install on my PC, paid or freeware – If an application tries to install anything I haven’t actively accepted I uninstall the whole application, first time installation or in an upgrade, and never come back. It just has to happen once. If I’m interested in a new application, I want to test the application under controlled conditions with a possibility to roll back.

Yes, I use the free version and understand there will be some advertisement and I understand if there is a popup asking if I want to install something. But my lowest demand is that I can decline. 

My PC is optimized to run audio in real time (musician and do recordings) and that makes it very sensitive to what I install. If something is installed that screw up my setting it may be consequences in performance/behavior of my PC. I have used IOBits software for years (think more than 10 years now) as it hasn’t interfered with my setup, has been very stable, constant in functionality and supported my needs. 
In normal cases when applications “start to take its own decision” what is going to be installed, I just uninstall, clean up and never look back. In this case I ask you to reconsider how you push advertisement and, more important, “sneak” in application that I have not asked for (it’s OK how it’s done with eg with Adv System Care, just decline)(It’s the first time I ask a vendor anything like this…). 

For me it can have consequences so if this happens one more time I will uninstall and leave IOBit, have no chois and very sad. 

Sorry for my English, not my native language.
//Per

• Like 3

And I can’t believe it… it’s not only iTop VPN it installs, it adds three more applications – Two different screen recorders and a screen shot application.

Explain this please… With what rights can you take the decision what to install on my system? I have accepted Uninstaller and Driver Boost, end.

//Per

• Like 2

I agree that it tries to install the VPN and other programs as have been commented, but, provided you watch VERY carefully, the spurious installations can be prevented - I have just recently gone through the experience. Obviously Iobit must be getting a kick-back from the relevant companies (I don't think they are Iobit apps, but not sure). Whatever the explanation, the action is deplorable. I'm very termpted to remove all Iobit apps from my computer, but the problem is that I think they give good value for money and I'm not sure what I would replace them with.

• Like 1

Hi scorand, PerS and Bryangl,

Sincerley sorry to hear that.

As you mentioned, you can untick the checkbox for iToP  VPN if you do not want it during your installtion of IObit programs.

I will report your feedbacks to our product team.

We will try a make a better balance in the future.😀

And this is even more serious, as IOBit use the credentials I given to install an app and that has been used to install something I don’t have control over. That is a serious security breach. Does IOBit even have control of the behavior of the another companies’ software in that perspective? I bet there is a disclaimer in legal terms that I did not see either. If the accept is so hidden I can miss it then it’s done on purpose.  

Just to be clear – I don’t have anything against that there is an ad for another software, that’s part of the game. Specially as I use it as a freeware (paid versions is another game). I found really good stuff a few times, but they have never been installed in the process of the original software. The decision to install is mine only and if the software of origin want to ask for my permission to do something that deviates from that it has to clearly ask for that permission. 

//Per 

• Like 1

I have to add my thoughts on this subject. I am a paid user of Advanced System Care Pro. I have had this Itop product also downloaded twice (without my permission) while downloading an update to Driver Booster. 1st point: In reference to Cicely's comment -  There was no "tick" option to choose not to download ITop. I always check for unwanted program installs. Itop has been deceitfully hidden itelf within the download, and I personally believe this was done on purpose. I would highly suggest, rather then just make a blanket statement, "Well, actually, users can op-out as you mentioned. They can untick the program if you do not need or they can close the X button to refuse it" first go to a clone machine and check the download to ensure that the "Optout: option is available to your customers. 2nd point: Just stating that there is an option without checking first discredits and belittles the integrity of the company, and most importantly alienates your customer base, by inferring their lack of intelligence. In the future, you might want to consider that the most important part of doing business is providing the highest levels of customer service, the second is providing the highest quality of product, that is within your means to provide. The combination of the two is the secret to the most successful future of a company, regardless of the product or service.

• Like 1

Hello Guys,

At present, we are partnered with iTop VPN to help promote its product iTop VPN, which can provide private access to the Internet with military-grade protection.

Almost all IObit products are recommending this app, if you do want it, please just you can untick the checkbox for iToP  VPN if you do not want it. You can find the chexkbox at the left concern of IObit programs' installtion windows. 

Have a good time!

• 1 month later...

Why does the user have to do anything to stop it. It should be up to the company to gain the trust of the user to check the box to install. Opt-in is the better way to do software installs you don't get any complaints from the ones who miss the box to uncheck. It does not go over well when they discover software was installed that they did not want and have to uninstall. If you are going to ask your customers to install another company software it should always be opt-in instead of opt-out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 5:05 AM, Cicely said:

Hello Guys,

Almost all IObit products are recommending this app, if you do want it, please just you can untick the checkbox for iToP  VPN if you do not want it. You can find the chexkbox at the left concern of IObit programs' installtion windows. 

Have a good time!

There is a very big difference between promoting (via pop-up ads or such) and essentially packing a third-party software with your own.

Maybe there is a tick box. Maybe. It certainly isn't noticeable enough to be relevant. Such "opt-out" options should be VERY obvious in order to avoid customer dissatisfaction, and in worst cases, legal issues. It's actually better for the box to be "opt-in" where they have to check the box to add the third-party software to the download. That way people who aren't paying attention, have vision issues, or whatever, don't get upset when they find things they weren't expecting on their computer because of your program installation.

If the opt-in/out box isn't obvious, it's less a marketing issue and more of a legal issue, because it makes you at least seem sneaky, and therefore untrustworthy, costing you customer confidence and trust. This whole topic is essentially a legal grey area, but it's very possible that actual laws will be passed, and at the very least is is ethically wrong to do so.

As a long-time user of Iobit products, the sudden issue of having to uninstall iTop programs every time I update an Iobit program is incredibly aggravating and pushes me towards considering a new provider of computer security and optimization products.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I just want to add my voice to those objecting to Iobit's malevolent promotion of Itop products. Iobit is now SECRETLY installing Itop products onto our computers. Iobit says there is an opt-out checkbox: there is not. Every time I do an Iobit update, I now have to follow it up by uninstalling whatever Itop product was secretly installed. I can report that Iobit's competitors like Glary Utilities do not invade the privacy of your computer in this way. I am tempted to give up on Iobit completely, because dishonesty is the one thing I can not stand in a program provider.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It just installed itself - and therefore I googled to see of others experienced something similar. Its behaving like a virus and i am uninstalling - I also feel sorry for the many people I have advices to get advanced systemcare, I am sure they will soon contact me and ask me whats going on.

If there is an alternative for a malware and spyware software please let me know.

Thanks to adv systemcare for many years of great software but this is to much for me. 

• Like 1

It just installed itself - and therefore I googled to see of others experienced something similar. Its behaving like a virus and i am uninstalling - I also feel sorry for the many people I have advices to get advanced systemcare, I am sure they will soon contact me and ask me whats going on.

If there is an alternative for a malware and spyware software please let me know.

Thanks to adv systemcare for many years of great software but this is to much for me. 

I see so many others are seeing the same problems as I've seen.

Yes, often there is a check box that you can uncheck, but it's very low contrast and in tiny text. Dark grey on darker grey, and tiny font. 

It IS deceptive. 

If you (or your partner) can't provide good reasons to install your software, and have to do it by stealth, then that drops everyones confidence in BOTH parties.

Trust me, If software starts installing OTHER software without my explicit consent, then I will remove BOTH of those applications and walk away.

This talked of a checkbox is BS.

I just downloaded an update for System Care and hadn't even run it yet, and two pieces of iTop malware installed themselves on my machine and the Screen Recorder started itself up. 

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS.  I deleted/uninstalled as much of it as I could find, and then I nuked every IObit product I had on my laptop.  This company is an unethical purveyor of malware.  DO NOT USE THEIR PRODUCTS.

Hello Guys,

Sorry to hear that.

As I mentioned before, we are partnered with iTop VPN to help promote its product iTop VPN, which can provide private access to the Internet with military-grade protection.
If you do not want the recommendations, please just you can untick the checkbox for iToP VPN when you install our programs. You can find the chexkbox at the left concern of IObit programs' installtion windows. 

I have forwarded all your sugegstions and concerns to our product team. They will reconsider the issues.

Thanks for your understanding. 

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in as one who will be deleting iObit unless I can disentangle it form the software through a check box.  Fed up with the consant efforts to upsell and now this.  There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it that I can find easily.

Hi Matt W,

Sorry for my late reply.

You untick the checkbox for iToP  VPN if you do not want it when you install IObit Programs. You can find the chexkbox at the left concern of IObit programs' installtion windows. 

I have forwarded your concern to our product team and market team. They will consider this kind of marketing activity and make a better balance in the future. 

I totally understand your concerns.

Thanks for yur understanding.

• 1 month later...