IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Whats your security setup?

vman

Now I'm configuring Sandboxie to force web browsers to open in sandbox. Really lite...

Best part is, im not longer paranoid about security.

I also use Sandboxie and you are right that it is really lite in that Task Manager measures the sum of its components at using 428k RAM on my computer. Truly a bargain in terms of used resources in turn for being virtually bullet-proof while on the internet!

~Maxx~

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to roll with the Sandboxie virtualized Firefox 3.5 and Adblock, but the blinding fast 30+ mbps download speeds (and 10+ mbps upload speeds) of the highly tweakable Opera Browser changed all of that...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/FF35Beta-Opera9645-20-09.jpg

..................................................FF 3.5..............................Opera 9.64

You got those poor results because you were using Opera with the default settings. If you want Opera to download 4X faster then go into tools> preferences> advanced> network then reset Max connections to server and Max total connections from their default setting of 8 and 20 respectively to as high as 128 each and then watch Opera fly on that 10MBps Modem of yours. BTW who is your ISP?

~Maxx~

max

Could you take a moment to explain that graph? It appears to be the same utility you used for the IE8 comparison.I see the higher levels being obtained,but I'm confused about the "width" of the columns.FF in this case appears to be showing more data transferring at a slower speed.Looks like that phone company add-"more bars in more places".That of course is just my perception,because I'm not familiar with the testing device or its method.Thanks! Update- a2guard.exe 19,220K - a2service.exe 30,324K

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/FF35Beta-Opera9645-20-09.jpg

.................................................. FF 3.5..............................Opera 9.64

Detailer- This graph depicts the results of Firefox 3.5 and Opera 9.64 downloading of the same set of 5 downloads which ranged from 8MB to 10MB each as captured by my Bandwidth Meter Pro Utility. As is indicated on the graph height measures the amount of bandwith being used while the width is the measurement of time the download took where each bar represents one second. The graph shows us that the browser which can achieve the higher bandwidth is able to download the same amount of information in a correspondingly shorter amount of time.

~Maxx~

I, sadly, see no big difference between Opera and firefox. Maybe im being bias, as i've always used firefox, but to say there is a dramatic difference...well i see non.

Might be sandboxie, but, firefox is under the same restriction/sandbox

I, sadly, see no big difference between Opera and firefox. Might be sandboxie, but, firefox is under the same restriction/sandbox

What tests have led you to the conclusion that there is no big performance difference between Firefox and Opera?

According to extensive testing using my Bandwidth Meter Pro there is not one iota of difference in the individual performance of either Firefox or Opera when running either sandboxed or unsandboxed in that I always get consistent results with Opera being able to do the same set of downloads in about 1/2 the time that it takes Firefox...

~Maxx~

When I first ran Opera 9.64 it measured about 9 mbps peak download speeds 'out of the box' which was the same performance that I was getting from the Firefox 3.0.X that I was also running at the time. After I applied the network customizations I described earlier to Opera it immediately increased its download speed on the same 10 MB loads to between 30 and 34.4 mbps which was an improvement of over 300%.

I do have 2 questions for you that might help explain the radical day and night differences that we are each experiencing with what is known to many as The Fastest Browser in the World...

1) How are you measuring the bandwidth of Firefox and Opera in your testing?

2) How much bandwidth do you have access to from your ISP through your 800 mbps modem?

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/OperaSpeed.png

~Maxx~

As i said before, i ran no extensive test, simply just used it. I could "feel" the difference quite honestly, but it is worth noting that Opera does seem "lighter". How that impacts downloads and what not i dont know, but that was quite possibly the only difference i saw.

Thanks Max

Since I just had to reformat,maybe I'll check out Opera again.I don't put too much stock in those tests(no offense intended),as it's the real usability I judge performance by.Cold or warm start,and how fast it renders web pages for the sites that I visit.Memory usage with five or six tabs open,and whether or not it releases that memory when tabs are closed.Add-ons are a consideration as well,though I only run a few that I find really useful.I suspect if one were downloading large files on a regular basis,Opera would possibly prove to be the better choice,but I'll have to see if it really "feels" faster.After all,that's where it really counts.

Since I just had to reformat,maybe I'll check out Opera again.I don't put too much stock in those tests(no offense intended),as it's the real usability I judge performance by.Cold or warm start,and how fast it renders web pages for the sites that I visit.Memory usage with five or six tabs open,and whether or not it releases that memory when tabs are closed.Add-ons are a consideration as well,though I only run a few that I find really useful.I suspect if one were downloading large files on a regular basis,Opera would possibly prove to be the better choice,but I'll have to see if it really "feels" faster.After all,that's where it really counts.

Its what i was trying to say. Poor me, lol

Detailer-The Bandwidth Meter is simply taking the load as expressed in mb and dividing it by the actual time the download takes and expressing its relationship to time in seconds in the form of a continuous graph rather than just an overall average. The exact same averaged result could be accomplished with a stopwatch and a calculator, but I trust the accuracy of the program over my ability to accurately start and stop the stopwatch with the same perfect precision that the software has.

Opera renders pages just as quickly as the Benchtests indicate and on my computer it loads up 55% lighter than Firefox and fully releases all of the RAM it uses online and with IObit ASC Smart RAM Auto Free engaged it will occasionally release more RAM than it uses by stimulating the release of memory leaks according to my RAM Gauge which gets its information from the same source as the Task Manager does.

All Browsers will "feel" the same when accessing web pages that are light and contain few graphics or downloading small programs, but for me its nice to know that the superior speed and enhanced downloading capability of the Optimized Opera Browser is there when I need it.

This may be a trivial matter, but when I load up Opera 10 Beta I am greeted by 'Speed Dial' which displays my 20 most visited sites which of course includes IObot Forums in the third row down on the far left.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/OperaSpeedDial-1.png

This custom skinned and personalized Opera Speed Dial start up page is one of 3 different kinds of customizable startup pages offered and all 3 contain access in the upper right hand corner to Opera's proprietary server side compression technology feature known as Opera Turbo which can speed up slow Wi-Fi connections as much as 8X when using a Notebook Computer on shared public bandwidth. When I tested this feature out it miraculously dropped the download time of a 10 MB download from 240 seconds to a mere 42 seconds on a public Wi-Fi connection!

Opera's new Presto 2.2 engine is not only 40% faster, but can also pass the Acid 3 Tests with a perfect 100/100 score!

Opera can also be programmed to create no Temporary Internet Files, completely turn off its Memory Cache, and remember no sites visited for a stealth Web surfing experience. Opera also manages Security Certificates and warns the user of sites with out of date or otherwise compromised Security Certification.

I would very much like to hear what your impressions of either Opera 9.64 or Opera 10 Beta are. On my computer they both 'felt' and measured the same, but I now run Opera 10 Beta for its innovative and highly effective added features.

~Maxx~

V-Man- Is Shadow Defender like placing the entire computer in a Sandbox?

From the Shadow Defender website...

Shadow Defender is the best easy-to-use PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool for Windows operating systems. It provides an unique way to prevent unwanted or malicious changes from being made to your PC/laptop. With Shadow Defender you can run system in a virtual environment, called Shadow Mode. And all the attacks will happen in the virtual environment, not in the real environment. If attacks happened, all you need to do is to reboot your system. After reboot, your system will be restored to the original state, as if nothing happened. And meanwhile you can save any selected files and folders to the real environment.

~Maxx~

In a sense yes it is a sandbox, and in another sense no it is not. What it does, is virtualize. Meaning, it makes a partition of your disk, and you use the new partition disk to do pretty much what ever you wish. Once you restart that partition is deleted. But...thats what i was told so if im wrong, blame other forums!

Archived