IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

AWC2 Registry Cleaner

Hi cliveanne. My word but you have lots of stuff running in the background; conflicts between the apps over resources could be generating some of the hesitations. I'd try cleaning up the system tray first; close down all the helper and quick-start apps. Also, running multiple anti-virus and/or anti-spyware apps can cause problems. For example, If you're running ZoneAlarm Security Suite and CounterSpy, you don't want to run AVG, or any other anti-virus/spyware apps. Post a screenshot of your AWC Tools/Startup Manager pane.

Hi cliveanne. My word but you have lots of stuff running in the background; conflicts between the apps over resources could be generating some of the hesitations. I'd try cleaning up the system tray first; close down all the helper and quick-start apps. Also, running multiple anti-virus and/or anti-spyware apps can cause problems. For example, If you're running ZoneAlarm Security Suite and CounterSpy, you don't want to run AVG, or any other anti-virus/spyware apps. Post a screenshot of your AWC Tools/Startup Manager pane.

This? http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/cliveanne/AVC2.jpg

I don't fully understand "I'd try cleaning up the system tray first; close down all the helper and quick-start apps." It might help if I knew what "apps" means. Are the quick-start icons at the bottom right of the screen

I tried to send a screenshot before, but the buttons were dead.

As to running antivirus I only run ZoneAlarm, all other antivirus programs are switched off. That is to say if there is an antivirus in the bundle, it has been disabled. I was told you can (or should) have only one AV running at any time, otherwise conflicts will occur. That is about my limit I'm afraid to say.

Sorry for being so late in getting back to you, I've been off line for a while, doing other things.

Thanks for your patience with me

Hi cliveanne,

Click the "Tools" at the top right corner of AWC program.

Click Startup Manager on the menu shown.

Enlarge the "Startup Manager" window so that everthing on the rigt pane can be seen (Partially light green and white)

If the whole lines are not seen, make the columns wider.

Take a screenshot.

Post it.

I believe that is what JustDave is asking from you.

Look what popped up then

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/cliveanne/Winerror.jpg

Just when I thought it was all over with them. I closed the window quick!

At least, it seems there are not as many system faults as there were before

Hi cliveAnne,

You have an awful lot of things running at startup! You might want to consider if you need all of the programs running or if there are some you can start manually when you want them (be sure to keep firewall and antivirus running). All these running will really slow you down. Pay close attention to the very first entry-could be bad!!! Click on it and see if any recommendations come up in the left hand panel.

samr.

cliveanne,

Did you read the Rating in the first line on your screenshot?

It may not be as havoc as it may seem because it is coming from a sound system.

But, please, I repeat, please make your window larger, and widen the columns as I have written in my previous post.

That is the only way that we can see your all startup Programs.

Sorry samr,I have not noticed that you replied

win error fixer

To get rid of win error fixer I had to wipe my hard drive and re-stack it.

Took me nearly two days!!! These bastards who infect PCs should be locked up.

I now have three virus checkers running and have been clean for four months.

I have AVG, Spybot Search and Destroy and Window Defender.

I also have McAfee SiteAdvisor which warns of sites known to be dangerous.

I believe that AWC V2 Personal loads IE with sites that are to be avoided so this also helps.

cliveanne,

Did you read the Rating in the first line on your screenshot?

It may not be as havoc as it may seem because it is coming from a sound system.

But, please, I repeat, please make your window larger, and widen the columns as I have written in my previous post.

That is the only way that we can see your all startup Programs.

Sorry samr,I have not noticed that you replied

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/cliveanne/Fullscreen.jpg

Is this what was needed? I've tried to get as much as possible into the frame, & I've highlighted the first line. I seem to remember that this icon was already in the PC when I had it...I could be wrong though. I see there are two of the same icons in the list, the second being Sky Tel, whatever that is.

Hi cliveanne. The first thing I'd do is uninstall AVG. You said that ZoneAlarm was the only anti-virus app you had installed, but AVG is loaded up as well. (It's the yellow, black, green, and red square.) Having AVG and ZoneAlarm fighting for resources at the same time could be causing some of your problems. Don't just uncheck it, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it.

Alcmtr.exe is a part of the Realtek sound suite and was probably installed when your system was first built. I wouldn't worry about AWC classifying it as spyware, but it's really not needed and is just wasting resources. Unchecking it in the startup manager will keep it from loading the next time you boot.

I'd also uncheck QuickTime Task and the Adobe item just above it. Those two entries just keep portions of the QuickTime media player and the Adobe Acrobat pdf reader loaded in memory for faster startup of those file types. Uncheck them and you regain the use of that memory. So what if it takes a fraction of a second more to start a movie or show a pdf.

You could probably stand to lose some of the other stuff as well. How many of the apps in the system tray do you actually use? MSN Messenger? Realtek sound effects manager? nVidia multiple monitor manager? There's also four or five more scrolled off the bottom of the screen. :razz:

Hi cliveanne & Justdave,

I believe that these entries for AVG are JUST their anti virus and the ones for zone alarm are JUST their firewall, not the security packages. If you un-install the AVG you may not have anti-virus running.

samr.

samr - Could be, but his startup manger and task manager (page 3) show the same entries as mine, and I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite installed. See the ZoneLabs Client and ZoneAlarm Client in the startup manager, and 2 scanning processes in the task manager. ZoneAlarm free only starts up with ZoneAlarm Client, and only shows zclient.exe in the task manager...no scanning processes.

Hi there,

I've not been on for a little while. I see there is some discussion about Zone Alarm & AVG Free. My ZA is not free, I have (To the best of my knowledge) the full package. I had disabled the AVG virus section of the program after I purchased ZA. However, if you feel I should still uninstall AVG I will (I can always get it back can't I, if I really need to).

There's also four or five more scrolled off the bottom of the screen. here they are

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/cliveanne/Therestofscreen.jpg

How do I stop programs loading on start-up? I do not use msn messenger, so should I delete that program or will it mess up my access to msn?

Hi cliveanne,

Acording to the startup manager,the AVG is still loading. Make sure it is shut down,then I would un-install. You really don't want more than one anti virus running. Could cause problems.

Any programs that you don't want to run at start up, just uncheck the box next to them. When finished click apply. There are a few stubborn ones that will re-appear when program is run. Most the tray icon can be shut off in the program (some messengers are that way).Also, if you select an entry there maybe some info show on the left hand side with recommendations.

samr.

Archived