IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart defrag -- now a disk read error

First of all, I want to say (and I just realized this is the same company) that the Advanced system care software is fantastic !

I just installed it the other day -- got rid of adaware and spyblaster -- and after weeks of constant crashing, everything is running great. Obviously, adaware is VERY problematic.

Also, I have run smart defrag on my PC's without a problem.

UNTIL today.

I installed it on another PC I have and ran a defrag (then an optomize -- which may be a mistake?)

Do you run either or? or run both?

Anyway, I'm freaking out because I just went to turn that PC on and I get a disk read error. (all cables are fine etc).

I'm running CHKDSK right now (taking forever) and hopefully everything will be OK (very important files).

In case I can't get it going, I'll be back for help but just off the bat....any ideas on what went wrong?

There is a LOT of data on this hard drive (about 120 gigs).

Thanks.

Hi Mr5019,

I would at least keep SpywareBlaster, as uninstalling it does not change anythig it has done for security unless you had disabled all Protection.

I would recommend to reinstall it, as it has quite a number of different addresses and cookies immunization.

For your information, neither ASC 3 nor SpywareBlaster has real time protection, but the new free Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition with all it's sluggishness, has Ad-Watch Live. At least, wait until IObit releases their new software for Spyware Defender.

Running a Defrag and then Optimize is not a mistake.

You can run either or both or the even the Deep Optimize too. (Of course consecutively.)

I hope you get a result with command prompt chkdsk /R.

You should have run at least chkdsk /F if you had any doubts before defragmentation.

Come back and feedback if you can get it going too! :-D

Please give more informaton about OS, hardware, etc., if your problem still exists.

Cheers.

I have a real problem and I'm going to try and stay calm. This hard drive represents 10 years of work and all was fine till I ran smart defrag.

Still getting a "disk read error".

I ran chkdsk /r and it said it had repaired one item (after a 2 hour scan), so I

rebooted only to see the disk read error again.

PLEASE if anyone has a solution for me....I'll check back regularly.

I searched the forum's archives and see nothing about this.

This is a PC that has never been connected to the internet and I have NEVER had a whisper of a problem till that defrag.

And while on the subject....

so system care doesn't do all the things that spyblaster can do?

and adaware has been nothing but trouble so hopefully, I'll be alright without it.

I have antivir, system care and I'll put spyblaster back on.....hopefully that will be enough.

AND...I don't accept cookies.

Hi mr

How large is your disk? How much free and used space?

What operating system?

Do you have very large picture or video files on that disk?

Did something run in the background while you did the disk defrag?

What were your settings?

Did you read this string/thread - post #6 ?

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=1979

Cheers

solbjerg

I have a real problem and I'm going to try and stay calm. This hard drive represents 10 years of work and all was fine till I ran smart defrag.

Still getting a "disk read error".

I ran chkdsk /r and it said it had repaired one item (after a 2 hour scan), so I

rebooted only to see the disk read error again.

PLEASE if anyone has a solution for me....I'll check back regularly.

I searched the forum's archives and see nothing about this.

This is a PC that has never been connected to the internet and I have NEVER had a whisper of a problem till that defrag.

It's a media computer hard drive full of WAV files and associated programs.

About 120gb worth......XP sp2.....P3, 512mb.

Fortunately I have always been running second copy to backup the wavs but haven't looked at that drive yet.

When I've run smart defrag on my other PC's, I simply installed the program and ran it.

I didn't really set any setup preferences in the program...nor did I on this new install.

I defragged and then optomized both drives (both the same Maxtor model numbers)......(these have NEVER beeen defragged before).

And now, "disk read error".

Ran Windows XP recovery and....

CHKDSK /r = one item repaired but nothing.

Why is there no Scandisk listed on the Windows recovery.

Also tried FIXMBR which didn't even run.

I'm going to move the drive to another PC as a secondary and try to look at it....perhaps run some sort of hard drive utility. any suggestions?

Haven't had to do something like this since the days of DOS.

Very frustrating -- adding software to make something "better" and ultimately making it worse.

There is very little going on in this PC... just XP, media player and the *&^%load of WAV files.

Hi mr

Are you saying that you only have 512 MB free space in 120 GB?

Have you seen what it says if you try to run the Windows defragmenter for that drive?

Cheers

solbjerg

It's a media computer hard drive full of WAV files and associated programs.

About 120gb worth......XP sp2.....P3, 512mb.

Fortunately I have always been running second copy to backup the wavs but haven't looked at that drive yet.

When I've run smart defrag on my other PC's, I simply installed the program and ran it.

I didn't really set any setup preferences in the program...nor did I on this new install.

I defragged and then optomized both drives (both the same Maxtor model numbers)......(these have NEVER beeen defragged before).

And now, "disk read error".

Ran Windows XP recovery and....

CHKDSK /r = one item repaired but nothing.

Why is there no Scandisk listed on the Windows recovery.

Also tried FIXMBR which didn't even run.

I'm going to move the drive to another PC as a secondary and try to look at it....perhaps run some sort of hard drive utility. any suggestions?

Haven't had to do something like this since the days of DOS.

Very frustrating -- adding software to make something "better" and ultimately making it worse.

There is very little going on in this PC... just XP, media player and the *&^%load of WAV files.

I have 512mb RAM.

I would assume I have about 40 gb free space as it's a 160gb.

I can't do anything now but get to a recovery C: prompt

I just now see after getting to C:\.....

THAT ALL OF MY DATA AND IMPORTANT FOLDERS HAVE ZERO BYTES IN THEM !! F__ __ K

Do you know how to read the dos directory?

Example --

(my first 2 lines)

03/06/04 05:30p -a------ 0 autoexcec.bat

01/25/07 11:57a -arhs--- 211 boot.ini

03/07/09 02:11p -------- 2730 bootex.log

all of my folders like program files, music, the important stuff all show ZERO

bytes. I even show ZERO bytes in my Windows directory.

I'll assume the date and time means the time the directory was created?

What does the -a------ etc mean?

GOD DAMNIT !

Hi mr

What do you mean - if I know how to read the dos directory?

Yes - only they call it command prompt these days :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I have 512mb RAM.

I would assume I have about 40 gb free space as it's a 160gb.

I can't do anything now but get to a recovery C: prompt

I just now see after getting to C:\.....

THAT ALL OF MY DATA AND IMPORTANT FOLDERS HAVE ZERO BYTES IN THEM !! F__ __ K

Do you know how to read the dos directory?

Example --

(my first 2 lines)

03/06/04 05:30p -a------ 0 autoexcec.bat

01/25/07 11:57a -arhs--- 211 boot.ini

03/07/09 02:11p -------- 2730 bootex.log

all of my folders like program files, music, the important stuff all show ZERO

bytes. I even show ZERO bytes in my Windows directory.

I'll assume the date and time means the time the directory was created?

What does the -a------ etc mean?

GOD DAMNIT !

Did you read the post? -a------

So, do you know what that means?

ANYWAY --

Fortunately, second copy saved my ass and all of my music files are on my backup.

Thank God.

This is another story about a piece of SHIT Maxtor hard drive and a perfect example of how hard a defrag is on a HDD. Every God damn Maxtor drive I have owned has died at some point.

Western digital always from now on.

And limited defrags.

A question (for someone who can answer)....

If I run systemcare daily, are defrags even necessary?

I thought I saw where it does a little housekeeping itself.

What still puzzles me is that the boot hard drive tests good with chkdsk but after the defrag everything is f--ked.

Could not do an XP repair install, ran 2 recovery programs -- nothing.

Hi mr

My guess is that -a --- means that it is not in archive

System care does not do defragmentation, but neither of the functions needs to be run daily.

Take a look at enoskype's thread "Think about Defragmentation!!! " that thread covers most of what one would need to know about that.

Cheers

solbjerg

Did you read the post? -a------

So, do you know what that means?

ANYWAY --

Fortunately, second copy saved my ass and all of my music files are on my backup.

Thank God.

This is another story about a piece of SHIT Maxtor hard drive and a perfect example of how hard a defrag is on a HDD. Every God damn Maxtor drive I have owned has died at some point.

Western digital always from now on.

And limited defrags.

A question (for someone who can answer)....

If I run systemcare daily, are defrags even necessary?

I thought I saw where it does a little housekeeping itself.

What still puzzles me is that the boot hard drive tests good with chkdsk but after the defrag everything is f--ked.

Could not do an XP repair install, ran 2 recovery programs -- nothing.

• 1 year later...

Smart Defrag

I just used Smart Defrag on my office PC. When I restarted it failed to load windows due to a missing or corrupt file. having repaired that according to Microsoft's instructions another file came up as missing or corrupt. Trying to repair windows has failed and I have needed to reformat the drive to reload a fresh windows installation. However it fails to do that either now! Thanks a bunch, now I need a new hard drive. The worst is I started to run it on my main laptop and am worried now what will happen when I restart that one. I'm rapidly backing up everything on my laptop in case it screws that one up too. Perhaps I should have stayed with the windows utility?:-(

Hi Ian

Probably your harddisk just died - they do once in a while :-(

If your CPU isn't cooled sufficiently the work done by shifting the fragments around the harddisk in order to defragment them may create too much heat, so that the computer shuts down.

This could be the case as you say that you could not install Windows again - this also creates much work for the CPU and consequently heat too, which may be the reason this didn't work either.

When/if you put in a new harddisk please check if your coolers are clean and work as they should before putting the cover back on. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I just used Smart Defrag on my office PC. When I restarted it failed to load windows due to a missing or corrupt file. having repaired that according to Microsoft's instructions another file came up as missing or corrupt. Trying to repair windows has failed and I have needed to reformat the drive to reload a fresh windows installation. However it fails to do that either now! Thanks a bunch, now I need a new hard drive. The worst is I started to run it on my main laptop and am worried now what will happen when I restart that one. I'm rapidly backing up everything on my laptop in case it screws that one up too. Perhaps I should have stayed with the windows utility?:-(

Archived