IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

driver irql blue screen caused by AWC

izzym

After installing AWC 2.9.0.866 on a Dell Dimension C521 running XP home SP2, it immediately tried to change the default search page on my IE6. I said no, but the message would NOT go away. I "X-ed" out of it, and then ran the program. I made a system restore point (or so I thought) as recommended. Then ren the program, but NOT the registry scan or system optimizer. Ran & repaired the spyware & security modules, & the startup one too.

After the next restart, the BSOD appeared. I went into safe mode to attempt to go back to restore point, but it would NOT work! I could see the point I made, selected it, but the "next" button would not take me to the next page.

I've uninstalled AWC after getting a few minutes of stability, but:

It's BSOD constantly now, and immediately after loading XP. HELP!

Hi izzym

Where did you find that old version? The newest is ASC 3.20 now.

What search engine was it trying to install instead?

I seem to remember that there were versions that had a yahoo option as an installation option at one time, which you had to deselect while installing.

I would try the safe mode option again and choose a Windows System restore point prior to installing the 2.9 version.

Also a sfc /scannow is worth considering

Good luck

Cheers

solbjerg

After installing AWC 2.9.0.866 on a Dell Dimension C521 running XP home SP2, it immediately tried to change the default search page on my IE6. I said no, but the message would NOT go away. I "X-ed" out of it, and then ran the program. I made a system restore point (or so I thought) as recommended. Then ren the program, but NOT the registry scan or system optimizer. Ran & repaired the spyware & security modules, & the startup one too.

After the next restart, the BSOD appeared. I went into safe mode to attempt to go back to restore point, but it would NOT work! I could see the point I made, selected it, but the "next" button would not take me to the next page.

I've uninstalled AWC after getting a few minutes of stability, but:

It's BSOD constantly now, and immediately after loading XP. HELP!

your response

Hi izzym

Where did you find that old version? The newest is ASC 3.20 now.

What search engine was it trying to install instead?

I seem to remember that there were versions that had a yahoo option as an installation option at one time, which you had to deselect while installing.

I would try the safe mode option again and choose a Windows System restore point prior to installing the 2.9 version.

Also a sfc /scannow is worth considering

Good luck

Cheers

solbjerg

I got it (v.2.9) about a month ago from a site I don't remember after an Internet search.

I don't know what it was trying to install, (maybe Yahoo). I DON'T like programs that try to hijack my previous settings, so I always say NO.

Check my original post: I CAN'T RESTORE! It won't go past the "next" button in the restore dialog.

SFC /scannow also DOES NOT RUN! (in safe mode, the only stable thing I can run on the machine right now). I see a DOS window open up for a fraction of a second, then disappear.

Still no closer to solving the problem...

further info

I tried running sfc /scannow in a DOS window & got this message:

"Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.]"

gibberish to me, can anybody make sense of it?

Hi izzym

Have you tried opening it while hitting F8 and choosing start in last working configuration? (Or whatever the wording is)

And if that works repair it from there.

Cheers

solbjerg

I got it (v.2.9) about a month ago from a site I don't remember after an Internet search.

I don't know what it was trying to install, (maybe Yahoo). I DON'T like programs that try to hijack my previous settings, so I always say NO.

Check my original post: I CAN'T RESTORE! It won't go past the "next" button in the restore dialog.

SFC /scannow also DOES NOT RUN! (in safe mode, the only stable thing I can run on the machine right now). I see a DOS window open up for a fraction of a second, then disappear.

Still no closer to solving the problem...

Hi izzym

Have you tried opening it while hitting F8 and choosing start in last working configuration? (Or whatever the wording is)

And if that works repair it from there.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, that was the FIRST thing I tried -- it crashed a few minutes later.

Restore won't work in Safe mode. Neither does that SFC command line either.

Hi izzym

If you do not have any backup on any media I think the only course left is a repair by the install cd.

Can it have been a virus?

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, that was the FIRST thing I tried -- it crashed a few minutes later.

Restore won't work in Safe mode. Neither does that SFC command line either.

RPC or RPC Locater

Hi izzym-I'd start with the one thing that's telling us it's broken-the RCP issue.I can't say if it's the cause of, or collateral damage from the problem,but worth a look.Navigate your way to system services(local)and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call(the first one)and check it's status-running or not.If it's not running( it needs to be)right click on it,choose Properties from the drop down menu and under the General tab adjust it's start up status to automatic,and then choose "Start".If it won't start,you will probably receive a message as to why.Post back if you get stopped cold there.If you are successful,choose the next item which is the RPC Locator,and attempt to start it as well.If it will not start,same procedure- right click/ drop down menu / Properties-then choose the "Dependencies" tab-this will tell you that the Locator "depends" on another service called "Work Station" to start and operate.Go to the Work Station and see that it's running-if not,start it.The only component within ASC responsible for changing these settings is System Optimization.I see from your post that you did not run this part of the program,so it's curious as to why Services has been affected.You did indicate that you ran "the start up one"-do you mean the Startup Manager?And did you disable some services there?In Safe mode,can you navigate your way to the System Configuration Utility(Run/msconfig)and see if you are still in Normal start mode? Let's begin there before we get too far ahead of ourselves-best of luck.

here's the scoop

Hi izzym-I'd start with the one thing that's telling us it's broken-the RCP issue.I can't say if it's the cause of, or collateral damage from the problem,but worth a look.Navigate your way to system services(local)and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call(the first one)and check it's status-running or not.If it's not running( it needs to be)right click on it,choose Properties from the drop down menu and under the General tab adjust it's start up status to automatic,and then choose "Start".If it won't start,you will probably receive a message as to why.Post back if you get stopped cold there.If you are successful,choose the next item which is the RPC Locator,and attempt to start it as well.If it will not start,same procedure- right click/ drop down menu / Properties-then choose the "Dependencies" tab-this will tell you that the Locator "depends" on another service called "Work Station" to start and operate.Go to the Work Station and see that it's running-if not,start it.The only component within ASC responsible for changing these settings is System Optimization.I see from your post that you did not run this part of the program,so it's curious as to why Services has been affected.You did indicate that you ran "the start up one"-do you mean the Startup Manager?And did you disable some services there?In Safe mode,can you navigate your way to the System Configuration Utility(Run/msconfig)and see if you are still in Normal start mode? Let's begin there before we get too far ahead of ourselves-best of luck.

OK, I found (using the "Autoruns" utility) a dll named "rpcrt4", described as "remote procedure call runtime" in the windows\system32\ folder. It's box is checked & seems to be running. When I right click on it in windows explorer, there's a properties & then a "general" tab, but NO startup status like you describe. I also see TWO of these rpcrt4 files in explorer -- the other one is in BLUE type and much older (8/4/2004 vs. 7/9/2007) and smaller in size (22kB vs. 571kB).

There is nothing else I found under "dependencies".

What is the "work station"? Remember I uninstalled AWC!

Yes, I ran the startup manager & disabled a couple of items.

Yes, I am in normal startup mode.

NOW I see the RPC call in the "services" tab (running msconfig). They are all checked. Right-clicking does nothing, but EVERYTHING is checked under services.

I just realized that msconfig had another column I didn't see on the right side called "status". It's indicating that these services are STOPPED, even though their boxes are checked (maybe because I'm in safe mode?):

Remote access auto connection manager

Remote access connection manager

remote procedure call (RPC) locator

remote desktop help session manager

The only one running is: Remote procedure call (RPC)

read it, but no help

solbjerg, could it be the same as in this thread?

izzym, please read all the posts in that thread.

Cheers.

Read it all...this is a different symptom (BLACK vs.BLUE screen) but I checked for these files anyway.

In the same folder, I don't have ANY *.iobittemp files. There are *.sav files, much older and smaller, but missing the sam & security counterparts. They are in BLUE type, and there's a "userdiff" file with no extension in blue as well. And there are *.log files of all five files.

No idea what this all means.

Hi izzym

If you write services.msc in "Run" you get to the window detailer is talking about. Where you can right click on the items and choose the settings.

Cheers

solbjerg

OK, I found (using the "Autoruns" utility) a dll named "rpcrt4", described as "remote procedure call runtime" in the windows\system32\ folder. It's box is checked & seems to be running. When I right click on it in windows explorer, there's a properties & then a "general" tab, but NO startup status like you describe. I also see TWO of these rpcrt4 files in explorer -- the other one is in BLUE type and much older (8/4/2004 vs. 7/9/2007) and smaller in size (22kB vs. 571kB).

There is nothing else I found under "dependencies".

What is the "work station"? Remember I uninstalled AWC!

Yes, I ran the startup manager & disabled a couple of items.

Yes, I am in normal startup mode.

NOW I see the RPC call in the "services" tab (running msconfig). They are all checked. Right-clicking does nothing, but EVERYTHING is checked under services.

I just realized that msconfig had another column I didn't see on the right side called "status". It's indicating that these services are STOPPED, even though their boxes are checked (maybe because I'm in safe mode?):

Remote access auto connection manager

Remote access connection manager

remote procedure call (RPC) locator

remote desktop help session manager

The only one running is: Remote procedure call (RPC)

Right stuff-wrong place

Hi izzym-We're talking about the same items,but you're in a different place.Go to Start/right click on My Computer/select Manage. In the left pane, open(click the + sign)Services and Applications/click on Services.You can maximize or drag that window open from its lower right corner.Review the info from my post using this(Computer Management/Services)window.This is where the right click options and the Work Station come into play.

aha!

Hi izzym-We're talking about the same items,but you're in a different place.Go to Start/right click on My Computer/select Manage. In the left pane, open(click the + sign)Services and Applications/click on Services.You can maximize or drag that window open from its lower right corner.Review the info from my post using this(Computer Management/Services)window.This is where the right click options and the Work Station come into play.

OK, NOW we're talking. I used the services.msc command to get "on the same page"...RPC was running, but RPC Locator was not. Successfully started it, & set the startup to "automatic". It's been running right now in full windows mode for a few minutes. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Internet running OK, so far...

BUT the bigger question is: HOW & WHY did AWC mess with these settings?

Hi izzym

Well so far so good :-)

You said that you hadn't run System Advisor/system optimize and in that case ASC does not change the system settings.

So something else must have been afoot.

If you run it - remember to go into the "Problems" and place the ones you need or want in the ignore list before clicking repair.

Cheers

solbjerg

OK, NOW we're talking. I used the services.msc command to get "on the same page"...RPC was running, but RPC Locator was not. Successfully started it, & set the startup to "automatic". It's been running right now in full windows mode for a few minutes. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Internet running OK, so far...

BUT the bigger question is: HOW & WHY did AWC mess with these settings?

The HOW and WHY

Hi izzym-Just a shot in the dark,but have a look at this thread,Post #4 by Valuater.This would definitely explain the attempt to change your default search page.If this was the cause,I'm sad to see the practice of trying to slip one(another add-on) by you when you don't want it-especially tool bars that mess with default search settings.

thanks for the help

Thanks guys,

You have both been very helpful. But I'm sad to report that the BSOD is back again. It worked fine for a few hours the first nite, but now crashes intermittently with no consistent activity that leads to it.

Detailer,

I haven't read your link yet, I will get to it tonight & try to learn what I can.

this doesn't help

Hi izzym-Just a shot in the dark,but have a look at this thread,Post #4 by Valuater.This would definitely explain the attempt to change your default search page.If this was the cause,I'm sad to see the practice of trying to slip one(another add-on) by you when you don't want it-especially tool bars that mess with default search settings.

I distinctly remember saying NO to the request (AFTER installation was complete) to change the default start page/search engine when I started Internet Explorer. I do NOT remember getting asked this question DURING the installation.

In any event, the program has been uninstalled, but the damage is done!

I now have an unstable operating system thanks to AWC.

Hi izzym

Well so far so good :-)

You said that you hadn't run System Advisor/system optimize and in that case ASC does not change the system settings.

So something else must have been afoot.

If you run it - remember to go into the "Problems" and place the ones you need or want in the ignore list before clicking repair.

Cheers

solbjerg

Remember, I've uninstalled AWC so this is moot. I can only imagine the damage this program would have done if I HAD run these modules!

• 2 weeks later...

unexpected turn

I ran a utility test of the hard drive, and it turns out to have a couple of bad sectors. It appears to be a case of very bad timing, as the problem only showed itself immediately after the AWC installation.

So I'm not prepared to totally blame AWC. It IS strange timing, though.

I bought a new hard drive & had to reinstall XP.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback izzym,

I am sorry that you have had a bad drive, but, at least now, we all know that ASC was not :grin:(if not one of) the reason of the troubles you had.

Please post back again if you have any questions.

Cheers.

Archived