IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

IE8 Is Available

detailer

Ie8

Hi Enoskype-Can you confirm the size of IE8? As I posted from an article regarding RC1,it's apparently larger than the average Windows OS.Also,it's reported as being very resource hungry.Screenshots that Ted sent me showed CPU at 43-47% usage with RC1,and little else running.I'm running FF right now with two tabs open,two security apps.,and my CPU usage is 0-4%.I have a PF Usage of 468 MB.I'd be curious to see some numbers,as if these are even close to accurate,IE8 better be eleven times faster than FF,and that still doesn't justify the Sasquatch foot print.Forgot to mention,it's also reported that IE8 does not release the ram consumed by an open tab when it's closed.

Hi enoskype

I noticed from your screenshot that the menu has white background.

The setting XP Layout should take care of that

desk.cpl in Run/tab number two from the right (Appearance) and then choose the XP Layout setting (refresh it)

For some reason it jumps out of this setting once in a while, - infrequently. Do you have any idea as to why?

Cheers

solbjerg

IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe 16488 KB

I finally managed to download IE8 with Opera as neither my IE8 RC1 nor FireFox would do the job. ( BTW Is the file named: IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU )?

I ask this because Windows gives me the message that the IE8 installation was not successful and puts an icon for a help file on my Desktop. However, the instructions in the file are all for IE7. I uninstalled IE7Pro thinking there may be conflicts, but it didn't help. I had no problem at all installing IE8 RC1 a few weeks ago.

I now have IE8.

mY findings that it is slower than IE7there is a pause before opening a page. Also when using firefox now and you view a clip on media player you cannot close it. I have to use close program.

maybe it will settle down after a little while.

Not seeing any claims at all its faster its slower by a noticeable amount.

sunny, this time, when installing IE8, I have not accepted the offers of any kind, including the so called accelerators. This seems weird, as the result should have been the opposite.

I have never liked forward caching in internet pages, as I think it is unvolunteerely giving information to the links in that first page.

In my case, there is a considerable speed difference between RC1 and Final. (Even the IE8.0.7000 in Windows7 is slower than the final release. One, still can not install the Final IE8 to Windows7, but there is a version available for Vista.)

Ted, yes, the name and the size of the IE8 setup file is as in post #8.

solbjerg, I don't know what the difference you mean in the menu, but my appearence in Display properties is XP Style, and it has always been like that. On the other hand, could it be that, I am using Classic view in Start menu options and it is because of that? What should be the color anyway? Can you give a screenshot of the same type with your preferences?

Cheers.

sunny, I don't have an answer to that, the only thing comes to my mind is if your internet connection is not optimized (I don't mean simple optimization done by ASC, as in some cases it doesn't change the values because of the adapter, router, etc.), and IE8 is more opt to optimization than IE7.

This is a wild guess though.

Seeing your results from Speedguide.net for SG TCP/IP Analyzer will help to decide if it is optimized.

http://www.speedguide.net/ =>Broadband=>Broadband Tools=>Click SG TCP/IP Analyzer

Copy and paste the below in the opened page, into your post:

Share Your Results

Note: Click in text area to highlight. You can use CTRL+C to copy results in the box to clipboard, CTRL+V to paste them here.

Cheers.

Ok, enoskype

My screenshot beside yours in post #8

Your Menu line had white background to the text, mine hasn't and mine is set to XP appearance.

Cheers

solbjerg

sunny, this time, when installing IE8, I have not accepted the offers of any kind, including the so called accelerators. This seems weird, as the result should have been the opposite.

I have never liked forward caching in internet pages, as I think it is unvolunteerely giving information to the links in that first page.

In my case, there is a considerable speed difference between RC1 and Final. (Even the IE8.0.7000 in Windows7 is slower than the final release. One, still can not install the Final IE8 to Windows7, but there is a version available for Vista.)

solbjerg, I don't know what the difference you mean in the menu, but my appearence in Display properties is XP Style, and it has always been like that. On the other hand, could it be that, I am using Classic view in Start menu options and it is because of that? What should be the color anyway? Can you give a screenshot of the same type with your preferences?

Cheers.

EDIT: Although properties of display was XP style, changing it and rechanging it to XP style corrected the menu line white background issue.

Thank you solbjerg.

Enoskype

first of all it shows my O/S as XP when its vista but here the result.

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »

Tested on: 03.20.2009 17:11

IP address: 84.9.xx.xx

Client OS: Windows XP

TCP options string: 020405ac0103030201010402

MSS: 1452

MTU: 1492

TCP Window: 66792 (multiple of MSS)

RWIN Scaling: 2 bits (2^2=4)

Unscaled RWIN : 16698

Recommended RWINs: 63888, 127776, 255552, 511104, 1022208

BDP limit (200ms): 2672kbps (334KBytes/s)

BDP limit (500ms): 1069kbps (134KBytes/s)

MTU Discovery: ON

TTL: 50

Timestamps: OFF

SACKs: ON

IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

these figure do not mean much to me can you advise please

Thanks, enoskype.

After getting this message I reboot and it starts the installer again saying it's uninstalling an old version, then installing Updates, then it starts installing IE8. After a few seconds Windows opens and IE8 RC 1 is not updated.

sunny,

If you are connected to the internet with PPPoE, which I believe you are, your MTU value is ideal. Therefore, your MSS value is ideal too.(It is MTU minus 30 which is correct)

Although your TCP Window (TCP receive window)(RWIN) value of 66792 is a multiple of your MSS value (which is a must for good connection), it is ideal that it should also be multiples of 44.

If you know or learn your maximum allowed download speed from your ISP, then it is a factor to decide which RWIN value is best for you.

Generally RWIN value <-> Connection Speed corrolation for PPPoE is like below:

63888 (up to 2 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2º)

127776 (1-5 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2¹)

255552 (2-14 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2²)

511104 (8-30 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2³)

1022208 (25-60 Mbit lines depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2 to the power of 4 )

Your TTL value could be better. Ideally it should be 64 for lower connection speeds, and 128 for higher connection speeds.

The rest is OK.

The problem with Vista is, under certain configurations, it will not permit to change the values.

After deciding which is your maximum permissible connection speed, try to change the value of RWIN and TTL with respect to connection speed, in the utility of FirefoxTCP Optimization in Utilities of ASC.

You have to restart your PC after changes, and check again in speedguide.net if they are changed.

If it doesn't work, I will try to change the RWIN by another program or from registry.

If you look at this thread, we have done the procedure with garybear and Matt there for different connection types and speeds. Another trial in the IObit forum is here .

Please ask if you have any questions.

Cheers.

Hi, enoskype,

Yes, I was trying to install over the top. All set now, although I did strike one snag: The installer kept asking for ieencode.dll.000 which wasn't to be found on my PC, but fortunately I had a copy on my USB backup HDD. (Thanks to Macrium). Many thanks for that very helpful suggestion.

Ted, great to hear that the prolem is solved.

Just for your information if anybody else does come across the same problem without a backup.

ieencode.dll issuee may be solved by uninstalling the update from:

C:\WINDOWS\ie8updates\KB961813-IE8\spuninst

for compatability issues. (KB961813 here for XP).

Cheers.

Hi, enoskype,

Thanks for that tip.

I haven't noticed any speed increase with IE8's Final Build. It was a bit sluggish for a start, but is improving. The only addon I have enabled at the moment is Shockwave Flash Object and I haven't insrtalled IE7 Pro. Shouldn't need it now, eh?

I have IE8 opening to a Blank Page. It only takes about two seconds for IE8 to launch, but then it takes another three seconds to connect to the Blank Page. Not bad.

Archived