IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Extremly slow ..... what to do ?

I have two systems. One with 83Gb drive (23gb Free) and Smart Defrag runs fantastically. Even deep op.

The Problem machine , XP SP2 has a 48GB drive and 11GB free space.

First after inital install tried just defrag and it seemed to hang. Stopped then ...

On this system I ran CHDKK /P from Windows XP Install CD SP2, it corrected errors . Run it up with all msconfig set for nothing to run . Ran Windows Defrag and that took minutes. Now running SMART Defrag and it just seems to get slower , running Deep Op. Hour in and still 26% .

Very confused ......

Hi plug it in

It looks a little extreme. But the Deep Optimize does say that it can take a long time.

Your free space is also just a bit over the recommended 15%

How is the defragment level in the registry and in the "immovable" files -pagefile and so on.

Cheers

solbjerg

Just to timestamp this .... now 37%

Another time stamp - still not complete - and will get info

Now its at 75% - yes extreme is the word ,

Can you give me a pointer to the registry settings

No paging file ........ (got 4gb of memory - physical , obviously only 3 used)

Hi plug_it_in

This really calls for patience - good man!

If I had been in your shoes I think I would have run a Just Defrag first, then a Fast Optimize and then possibly a Deep Optimize.

In ASC there is a possibility (at least in the pro version) to run a defragmentation of the registry.

Russonovich's little fine program Pagedefrag also defrags several of the "immovable" files, - it can be found on the Internet. Microsoft's "Bootvis" likewise.

In order to create a little more free space you might consider to lower the percentage of Restore Files, which as default is set to 12%, this is usually much more than needed - 5% or even a couple of percent is normally sufficient, this ought to give you a little more free space which is a good thing defrag-wise.

Cheers

solbjerg

Now its at 75% - yes extreme is the word ,

Can you give me a pointer to the registry settings

No paging file ........ (got 4gb of memory - physical , obviously only 3 used)

Hi plug_it_in

My idea about free space stems mainly from a personal experience of observing a defragmentation executed on a disk with 25% free space and another executed on a disk with more than 50% free space, these two defragmentations that defragmented about the same GB used space went more speedily and easier on the computer with the most free space.

The reason I think is the amount of free space, that makes it easier for the defragmentation process to move the data around on the disk.

But this is just my own conclusions.

Cheers

solbjerg

Free space for analysis ?!? On my other system this takes seconds on a 1tb USB drive I am surprised .......

More Room

Hi pii-You can also shrink your recycle bin-empty it first and go down to zero for now.You can also shrink your page file,and restore it later.Also next time you run defrag-execute in safe mode to get at some other system files not available to you in normal operating mode.Every MB counts!-Sorry-just now seeing you don't run a page file-neither do I with only 2GB

• 4 weeks later...
Hi plug_it_in

My idea about free space stems mainly from a personal experience of observing a defragmentation executed on a disk with 25% free space and another executed on a disk with more than 50% free space, these two defragmentations that defragmented about the same GB used space went more speedily and easier on the computer with the most free space.

The reason I think is the amount of free space, that makes it easier for the defragmentation process to move the data around on the disk.

But this is just my own conclusions.

Cheers

solbjerg

As far as the more free hard drive space available the better, I am not so sure about that. I have over 120 GB of free space and it still took over 5 hours to defrag my hard drive.:sad: By the way I have a 200 GB hard drive. The other defrag program that I have installed on my computer takes far less time to do a complete defrag.

Ok Bronx

80 Gb defragged! - Deep Optimize? What did the Analyzing say? How much fragmentation?

Cheers

solbjerg

As far as the more free hard drive space available the better, I am not so sure about that. I have over 120 GB of free space and it still took over 5 hours to defrag my hard drive.:sad: By the way I have a 200 GB hard drive. The other defrag program that I have installed on my computer takes far less time to do a complete defrag.

Still Extremely Slow

It told me that there was 8% fragmentation and that I didn't need to do a deep optimize just the standard one, and that is what took over 5 hours.:-( I try very hard to keep my computer as unfragmented as possible. I don't like to see more than 5% fragmentation if possible. I run my defrag program at least once every three days. I am online at least 15 hours per day 7 days a week. I have an online business to run, I can't afford to have a problem or a slow down occur with this computer as it is the only one I have.

Hello Jeanette

Yes that sounds very slow, wonder what is holding it up? I wouldn't have expected more than an hour - max. 2

Do you clean it too - of tracking cookies and the like?

Please give a feedback if you find out what the problem is, or if you now experience a much shorter defrag-time.

Are you running it with both autodefrag as well as manually, and perhaps schedule as well?

Cheers

solbjerg

It told me that there was 8% fragmentation and that I didn't need to do a deep optimize just the standard one, and that is what took over 5 hours.:-( I try very hard to keep my computer as unfragmented as possible. I don't like to see more than 5% fragmentation if possible. I run my defrag program at least once every three days. I am online at least 15 hours per day 7 days a week. I have an online business to run, I can't afford to have a problem or a slow down occur with this computer as it is the only one I have.

Hello Jeanette

Yes that sounds very slow, wonder what is holding it up? I wouldn't have expected more than an hour - max. 2

Do you clean it too - of tracking cookies and the like?

Please give a feedback if you find out what the problem is, or if you now experience a much shorter defrag-time.

Are you running it with both autodefrag as well as manually, and perhaps schedule as well?

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned. but I do recall that sd, had a problem with files over a certain size. Man, I know I've seen that here. D

Hi deville

You are right, it is mentioned several places - also in Usage Of IObit Products

In the case of Jeanette it could be that very large picture files or video files are holding it up.

I do not have any of those on my main drive which is 60 GB of which 20 GB is used space.

By me with a fragment percent of 12-15% it takes about 20-30 minutes by me.

A quick calculation would then suggest 1½ - 2 hours by Jeanette with the same amount of fragmentation.

What accounts for the very long time seen by Jeanette I do not know, but perhaps the aforementioned very large picture and video files.

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned. but I do recall that sd, had a problem with files over a certain size. Man, I know I've seen that here. D

Archived