IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Anyone tried this?

vman

Your friends(or other) is messed up, wont boot up, nothing. So you take out the hard drive, hook it up as a slave drive and use your computer to scan that hard drive?

Seeing how i get calls often, and dont feel like going over, i think thats what im going to do from now on. Slave drive, and if need be, do a fresh OS install from the image and have them do as they wish with it.

??????????????

Hi Vman. Sorry for being stupid, but could you explain that in a little more detail. Are you taking their HD and putting it in the slave position on your PC, and then what are you doing??Are you installing your OS on their drive with some program??(Like Macrium or acronis)I'm still learning.

I'm hooking it up as a separate drive...it has no access, no software is running, with a proper HIPS, you can restrict it from doing anything. I'm going to use my normal boot drive with all the softwares installed, and use them to scan the hard drive...and if need be, i can image it with one of two things: A Acronis or B Norton Ghost.

Hi Vman. Don't want to be a pain, but your thread interests me. Please correct me where I'm wrong.You take your friends HDD, Put it in your PC in the slave position. Do a scan and then create an image if you need to. You said your friends PC is messed up, won't boot or do any thing. Can you tell from your scan what the problem is? I can do the scan and the image, and I can restore the image with Macrium Reflect. I'm not smart enough to find any thing wrong with a scan, however. I could probably copy and paste if I knew what was needed. Will a fresh install of the image fix the problem? How does that fix any thing? one more question, what is the proper HIPS. I use AVG,Windows Defender. Do I need more, and what do you recommend?PS I'm 71 years old today and I try to learn some thing new every day. Live well my friend. [garybear]

Lets say my friends PC is completely messed up. In stead of installing software on his pc, or even trying to get up and running to use programs, i can just hook it up to my pc, use my NOD32+MBAM+SAS+Asquared to scan his hard drive and get rid of all the junk in their. But, in a situation where he needs a fresh OS install because he doesn't want to clean it out or just wants a fresh install (or if im too lazy to clean it) ill image a fresh OS install with NOTHING in windows on his comp.

Yea, i get lazy alot...lol

Getting in over my head

Thanks enoskype for birthday wish. I think I'm getting over my head on this one.I have Window XP3 . I'll probably never use this method of Vman's, but still I'm interested. I know how to delete a partition, and reformat it in disk management.Is this what you do before you restore the image to the HDD that has problems?Will this get rid of viruses or does the virus go with the image? Should I scan HDD for viruses first? I have lots of questions about this. I have Macrium Reflect. I know how to create an image and restore it. I also have a HDD in my slave position with my OS on it, just in case my primary dies. I also have a HDD in a drawer with my OS on it. I hate that dxxxx green hill with one recycle icon in the corner. That will make you sick. I think I have all my bases covered. Vman was talking about a friends PC; that's what got my attention. If anyone is bored and can explain in detail, step by step this procedure, I would be very grateful. PS 71 years old and still going strong. Ted just had birthday also. I think 75. Live well my friends.[garybear]

If the image is clean, then yea, so will the computer, and no you do NOT need to delete the partition to image. I use acronis and it allows me to image the active partion...so i have no trouble with that.

I'm getting there

Lets say my friends PC is completely messed up. In stead of installing software on his pc, or even trying to get up and running to use programs, i can just hook it up to my pc, use my NOD32+MBAM+SAS+Asquared to scan his hard drive and get rid of all the junk in their. But, in a situation where he needs a fresh OS install because he doesn't want to clean it out or just wants a fresh install (or if im too lazy to clean it) ill image a fresh OS install with NOTHING in windows on his comp.

I think I understand what your saying till the part where you image a fresh OS install with nothing in windows on his PC. Is this an image of your OS that you have stored some where? When you say nothing in windows, do you mean programs, software. I guess Macrium only lets me image my whole HDD. I would have to put my HDD IMAGE on his HDD . It would be like a clone of my HDD. I have the free version of Macrium, thats probably why I'm confused. Your program probably lets you do more.I have learned a lot today and I thank everyone. I got a late start on this computer thing, but I'm learning every day from friends.[garybear]

Yea, i get lazy alot...lol

I'm getting there

Heres a new one im trying...making a bootable windows on a flash drive. Im looking for a slimmed down version, and if i could do this, i can have pre installed applications ready to launch if there is a pc that needs to be cleaned.

Anyone tried this?

Hi, vman,

You are having fun, aren't you?

Nice to see someone is alive and well on this forum, I thought perhaps the Easter break had been extended.

Good idea about the bootable Flash drive, but can you boot from a USB port?

BackUps

Okay, vman,

I have an 80gb HDD with a 25Gb © and 55gb (D) partition. I also have a 40gb slave drive (E) I use for my backup.

I have my C: and D: drives imaged on one Macrium Reflect image (23gbs) and I store that image on my E: drive and also my Seagate USB FreeAgent drive. (I'm paranoid about backups, you see).

I suppose it would be wiser to Restore an Image to the E: drive instead of just storing it. From what I've read, my Macrium Reflect image will create the correct partitions as well as doing the restoration.

If I was to do this, would I get a drive choice at bootup or would my PC boot from the original?

NO

Hi Ted. No you can't boot from your slave (E), but you can use Macrium to copy your OS © to your (E) and have it waiting if your © drive dies. You can restore an image from your (D) partition or your USB to your (E) and it will be waiting to be moved to the primary position. That's the way I have mine set up. I hope my screen shots help explain this. Live well my friend.[garybear]. This was a lot of work, but you deserve it after all you have done for me. I hope this is all right and helps you. Here are 5 and 3 more in next post

Well...my specialty is malware cleaning, so thats what i focus on, but if your a backup freak, i wouldn't suggest storing your images on the infected computer. My friend tried that once, having images stored on a separate partion, and that too ended up getting infected when we tried to restore it.

I personally have a 320 gb external hard drive to store images (not only mine, but when i fix computers) and i too, am a paranoia freak, so i completely understand. If you store your images on your external, it is possible for the external to get infected too. At our school computers, we had this nasty one going around (auto run, copy.exe, and host.exe) that infected EVERY thing on the hard drive, including a flash drive that was plugged in. So if your really paranoid, I'd make sure your computer is clean as a whistle before imaging or even plugging it in.

And if you wanted to change your hard drive into a operating system, you have to format it into NFTS i think, and then install windows on it, and walla....the only system requirement needed is for the computer to A be able to boot into windows and B be able to boot via USB

that was a VERY long rant.

Hi, garybear,

Thanks for all that work, you seem to have it all sussed out now. Well done!

Vman,

I always do a clean up eg: MWB, SAS, ASC 3, CCleaner, QuickSys Regcleaner, RegSeeker and Secunia before creating my images and with regularly updated Avast and SpywareBlaster running silently in the background I've managed to keep out of trouble, so far.

See, if you use a bootcd (which is a must) then your fine, because technically, the software isn't running, so it makes it a tad bit safer to plug in your stuff. But i personally am not an avast fan...i like avira more...but still a decent setup. You should be fine...

But i personally am not an avast fan.

I can do a Boot scan with Avast and it advises me verbally every morning when it has updated. The only snag is the mandatory registration every year, but it is free. I did try Avira for a while, but I was never sure whether or not it was updating. No verbal or visual update confirmations.

Hi vman

For many years I did not use any anti-virus programs, this worked fine - just using sound jugdement. But then my daughter sent me a picture file that gave me a virus, because I trusted her judgement too much. Since then I have used an anti-virus program.

And today I think that this is the best course, - but still the best security is your own awareness of what might be an unsure connection/file.

Cheers

solbjerg

I have back up anti's that i use to scan once in a while, but i dropped all forms of protection. My entire setup is based on virtualization, and im loving it. No infections at ALL.

For me, the whole idea of click and virtualize is the best. It stops ALL forms of malware, even those that have just come out simple because it deletes EVERYTHING on restart. But it is true, the best(and weakest) line of defense, is, in the end, the user.

Archived