IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Portable hard drive issues!!

Portable hard drive issues!!  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello I have a portable hard drive I use for backing up pictures and documents etc. And SmartDefrag (1.11) detects and monitors my portable hard drive when I plug it in, and it will not let me safely remove it because its in use. Now I just close SmartDefrag then remove it, but SmartDefrag shouldn't hold up my portable hard drive. This should be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this issue too (WD MyBook USB2), not a huge problem but first time I freaked out and thought a malicious program is using my Ex HDD. but after closing SD I can disconnect my External drive.

it would be useful if this will be fixed with next version

Hi Everest

I wonder how - exclude the detection and monitoring of the external harddisk? (that would be an easy solution I guess :-) )

If you right click on the safe removal - doesn't it then offer you the opportunity to close down the application in order for you to remove it safely? (It does by me!)

Cheers

solbjerg

I have this issue too (WD MyBook USB2), not a huge problem but first time I freaked out and thought a malicious program is using my Ex HDD. but after closing SD I can disconnect my External drive.

it would be useful if this will be fixed with next version

Hi derekmski

You could get around it I suppose by only defragmenting manually. Or perhaps by excluding the external drive from the automatic functions?? But don't remove the external drive while running a defrag on it. This could mess it up!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Did you use the right click?

Not for me, I go to say, "safely remove" and it says, blah blah drive is being used by another process or something. Then I have to close SmartDefrag. They need to fix this in the future.

Hi derekmski

If you are using manual defragment, there should be no reason to let SmartDefrag start up with Windows, right?

This might solve your problem perhaps?

I can defrag one drive at a time or both drives.

Cheers

solbjerg

The problem is, there is no way to exclude my drive from SmartDefrag, and yes I do manually defragment it. I left click on the remove hardware icon, right clicking includes like 3-4 extra steps.

Ok derekmski

Ok, then it is understandable. Your system drive is trying to place fragments from your external drive, at the moment located in your system drive back into your external drive I suppose.

I never use automatic functions.

Neither do I have an external harddisk, but I get the same problem with usb-sticks if I do not wait for the operation to finish before the safe removal.

Cheers

solbjerg

No no no, you misunderstood me, I'm manually defragmenting my portable hard drive because there are no automatic options for Automatic defragging. BUT my system drive IS being autodefragmented.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with an external drive.

My problem is the same as the others in this string, only with a XIMETA NDAS (network attached) drive.

I use Acronis True Image Home to backup my HDD, and I "mount" my network attached drive as drive "N", let the backup run, and follow it with an "unmount" (the 3 steps are automatic). However, it won't complete the unmount because it thinks it's in use by Smart Defrag, forcing me to kill Smart Defrag. It would be great if IObit would add an "exclude drive letter" option to their otherwise fine product.

BTW, I also love their free Advanced SystemCare Free product, which includes the Smart Defrag feature, but I wonder if the paid version, which runs all the time, would cause the same problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. What I don't understand is: Why is SmartDefrag opening that drive at all? I have selected only my "C" drive for SmartDefrag to use, so it should not be touching my external drive when I use it.

This is a bug in the software and it should be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

USB Locked

Dear Soljberg, I have read all the peoples problems and they are right.

The program automatically (even if you un-tick the external USB drives) goes to either defragment or do "whatever" on the external hard drive thereby locking the external hard drive.

All you explanations do not address the issue as you are providing third party solutions for a problem that lies with the software.

Thank you very much for a otherwise free and good program.

Hi mojoe

Don't you have the same problem if you have Windows Explorer open?

Or even if you open My Computer?

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I do not remember providing you with third party solutions, what are you referring to?

p.p.s. As written in Usage of IObit Products most of us here in the forum are ordinary users like yourself, therefore I think it advisable to contact IObit directly with wishes or suggestions for improving their product.

The threads about suggestions for improvement or wishes are probably those with the greatest chance of being read by the IObit staff.

Dear Soljberg, I have read all the peoples problems and they are right.

The program automatically (even if you un-tick the external USB drives) goes to either defragment or do "whatever" on the external hard drive thereby locking the external hard drive.

All you explanations do not address the issue as you are providing third party solutions for a problem that lies with the software.

Thank you very much for a otherwise free and good program.

I have a Seagate 1.5 TB Drive, a WD 1 TB Drive, a WD 250 GB Drive and a WD 160 GB Drive connected to my Notebook PC. I use Smart Defrag daily on a demand schedule and it has never prevented me from removing any of these Drives on any occasion.

~Maxx~

Archived