IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Finding Repeated Problems In Registery

walterwho

I Have ASC Pro and every time I run a scan it finds from 8 to 180+ problems in my registery. I can repair them and turn around and run another scan immediately and it will find more problems. I have saved several of the scans if anyone would care to look at them.

Hi walter

Many of the "problems" are strings that are added in the registry when applications are started. After the application is no longer in use the string in the registry is seen as unnecessary and consequently a "problem".

This is no real problem - the string is generated again when the application is started - and then cleaned away as unnecessary again. When you run a scan immidiately after the first one, it will find some unnecessary strings "problems" related to the "problems" that were just "cleaned" and clean those too.

How often do you run a scan?

Cheers

solbjerg

I Have ASC Pro and every time I run a scan it finds from 8 to 180+ problems in my registery. I can repair them and turn around and run another scan immediately and it will find more problems. I have saved several of the scans if anyone would care to look at them.

I have it set to run automatically daily. What you say makes sense on the registery but what about the spyware, junk files etc it repeatedly finds when I do babck to back scans immediately after cleanup? I uninstalled it this morning and reinstalled so i will see how it goes now. Thanks for your reply/help

Hi walter

Did you do a clean install?

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=11513#post11513

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=11665#post11665

A scan immidiately following another scan do not usually find any problems in spyware or junk files etc.

How about if you do one more scan immidiately after those two?

How many disks are set to be cleaned?

Cheers

solbjerg

I have it set to run automatically daily. What you say makes sense on the registery but what about the spyware, junk files etc it repeatedly finds when I do babck to back scans immediately after cleanup? I uninstalled it this morning and reinstalled so i will see how it goes now. Thanks for your reply/help

OK...I just completed the clean uninstall, Ran registery cleaner from Norton 360 and it found and fixed 6 problems. I rebooted my computer and reinstalled ASC. It found and fixed 28 registery problems. I closed it after the repair, rebooted again and ran it again and it found 8 problems. Here are the problems it found"

ogfile of Advanced SystemCare 3 Registry Scan

Scan Date: 4/18/2009

OS Platform: Windows Vista

x64 Bit: No

ASC Version: 3.2.0.633

Problems Count: 8

-----------------------------

[Empty Registry Key]

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{13B303F6-3308-427D-BFC4-32FA1D8F7120}\1.0\HELPDIR N/A

[Empty Registry Key]

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{1708F2CA-DCD5-4492-8260-FC9F58358478}\1.0\HELPDIR N/A

[Empty Registry Key]

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{C9C05A42-D571-4B3C-8F11-D6D6A81C90EB}\1.0\HELPDIR N/A

[Empty Registry Key]

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{DE54081F-08ED-44AE-AE80-13DEAA19A44A}\0.0\HELPDIR N/A

[Deep Scan]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{13B303F6-3308-427D-BFC4-32FA1D8F7120}\1.0\HELPDIR N/A

[Deep Scan]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{1708F2CA-DCD5-4492-8260-FC9F58358478}\1.0\HELPDIR N/A

[Deep Scan]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{C9C05A42-D571-4B3C-8F11-D6D6A81C90EB}\1.0\HELPDIR N/A

[Deep Scan]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{DE54081F-08ED-44AE-AE80-13DEAA19A44A}\0.0\HELPDIR N/A

The Usual Suspects

Hi walterwho-Just a guess,but I'll bet they're all generated by Norton at the reboot.You could try to track them down in the registry to see where they fall.Right click on the line item and select "jump to entry".You might also consider suspending Norton for the reboot(disconnect from the internet first)and see what you get.These could also be just incidental enties that are generated from elsewhere in your OS. I wouldn't be concerned about eight errors,you're going to get many more just following your everyday routine.I tested the 360 Beta a couple of months ago,but can't recall ASC results,and alas,I've since removed every trace of that junk from my PC.Sorry,if it works for you,you're part of a select group.

I have had several people tell me they loathe Norton 360 but I really am not litrate enough to underrstand why. Perhaps there are things going on I do not know about or understand with regards to Norton 360. Can you maybe enlighten me and recommend a good anti virus?

Thanks

Hi walter

In "the old days" Norton was very difficult to uninstall completely.

Furthermore it usually ignored your own configuration and used its own standard one, regardless of what you wanted.

I think it is better now, but my previous experience with it also makes me give it a wide berth.

This "we know best attitude" is finding its way into many more programs today, but the best of them still allows you to have some saying yourself.

Cheers

solbjerg

I have had several people tell me they loathe Norton 360 but I really am not litrate enough to underrstand why. Perhaps there are things going on I do not know about or understand with regards to Norton 360. Can you maybe enlighten me and recommend a good anti virus?

Thanks

Here's What I Think

Hi Walter-The first security I ran was Norton Internet Security.I still have the original disk hanging on the wall above my PC as a reminder.The only thing "tuff" about it is that the darts I throw at it won't stick.Within two weeks,my system was so infected,I reinstalled my OS.This was before I found all the great free apps. out there like Malwarebytes and so on.Anyway,I saw a chance to test the new 360 because they claimed it was far superior in detection,and just as importantly,lighter on resources.Turns out Norton still can't identify a virus if it comes marching through your ethernet cable banging a big drum and wearing a sign on it's chest.And only a bit lighter than its former self-a freight train bound for Chicago.Security should be just that,security.If you want to clean junk and defrag your hard drive,IObit(and others) have that covered for free.With all the great freeware and free offers out there for paid products,it's not hard to come up with a cost free and effective combination to protect yourself from the "nasties".Among the popular for real time protection are Avira Personal 9.0(my choice)and Avast.You can pair those with a Spyware Blaster or Threatfire.Comodo still makes a great firewall if you want one.There are several other "shields" designed for specific threats like Conflicker.Run good free protection and back that up with "break-out" scanners like Malwarebytes,SuperAntispyware and A Squared.These use no resources in the background because you only utilize them to scan with.You have to update them manually,but considering they're free and really do detect and dispatch infections,it's worth the two minutes a day.Everybody will have a different opinion on which to choose,but most of us agree that very good protection can be had for zero dollars.Take a look at Vman's thread here.And when you're ready to switch,you'll need this,because getting all of that Symantec crap off your PC is quite a task.One example of paid for free is here.(I've run this and prefer it over Norton)This is through Raymond CC Blog(required daily reading)I recommend you sign up for Ray's forum as well,and keep an eye on the "Freebies" section.

• 2 weeks later...

No one's adressing the issue

I too keep finding helpdir registry entry empty' as seen using registrybooster2.

Obviously its either an issue with Norton or the OS, but I'm betting on it being just a Norton issue (and apparently not a big one, but who knows).

Maybe I read the post's actual issue wrong (and/or the replies to date), but if nobody has an answer here, please don't post reply, especially ones going off topic.'

Hi wguru

Are we talking about finding empty registry keys on the second scan by ASC after a previous scan by Norton?

In the case of a scan by ASC after a scan by Norton, you first have to take into account that the scanning parameters by these two applications probably are different, this accounts for some of the subsequent scanning findings by ASC, on top of that ASC also finds items that were dependent in some way on keys that were deleted by Norton in the first scanning.

In the second scan by ASC some items that were dependent in some way on keys being deleted in the previous scan by ASC are now empty and then consequently found as "problems" too.

Usually a third scan will yield "No problems"

Cheers

solbjerg

I too keep finding helpdir registry entry empty' as seen using registrybooster2.

Obviously its either an issue with Norton or the OS, but I'm betting on it being just a Norton issue (and apparently not a big one, but who knows).

Maybe I read the post's actual issue wrong (and/or the replies to date), but if nobody has an answer here, please don't post reply, especially ones going off topic.'

Hi wguru-You'll find we're pretty laid back here(this isn't WinBBS).If you read awhile,you'll see there are two gentlemen from Admin that carry most all the forum's weight on their shoulders.They rely upon other contributors such as myself to lighten the load,and in such, give us a great deal of latitude in respect to our opinions and the context in which they're posted.Technically,this thread was hi-jacked by it's creator in post # 5,but you'll take note it wasn't moved.Just relax and go with the flow.Showing up here with your very first post to remind us of forum etiquette and decorum(your edit) probably is not the best way to make a first impression.Please forgive us our lack of formality here and enjoy your stay.We're all just trying to help others with there problems.Now you may consider this thread officially hi-jacked.

• 2 months later...

RE: Norton's Products

My experience with Norton (along with a number of anti-virus and/or spyware/adware utilities) leave an imprint. Still getting reports on my network from Network Magic after uninstalling a month ago.

The problem imho is that once a product hits the boards...it's outdated.

Love ASC and 360 from a conceptual angle...and currently looking at Rising Anti-virus.

When I first ran IObit's 360 detected 8 trojans...all trojandownloaders.

First did battle with BearShare/Sonic/Trojandowloader(s)...now Virtumonde and host of other programs...but not worried :) Using Glary Utilities Pro to track countries of origin and when I can code. See most of everything with ASC Pro and Spybot and keeping them in check. Sending reports to NetworkSecurity and Comcast Tier1 support.

Peace!

Archived