IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Not enough space

Hi nct

To get around the confusion of commaes and seperators and the 2^30, let's say that you have ~178 GB, if divided by 1062 blocks it means that every block contains ~167 MB. This again means that the 40 GB you deleted should free up ~239 blocks.

I am looking forward to hear the result of your endeavor :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I downloaded both programs, but started with contig.exe before I understood that Power Defragmenter was an interface for contig.exe.

I ran it to defrag all of the c: drive, and it has been at it for awhile, but seems to be processing the video files.

I just saw the post from enoskype at 10:12 am today, and he may be right. I sort of came to the same conclusion a little while ago.

Looking at it another way, using the windows defrag block chart, there are 18 x 59 or 1,062 blocks representing the drive area. With a 178.37GB drive, each block would represent 167.956 KB of space. If the available "free space" in each block was, lets say, less than half of that, then would the program not have to show that block in red to be representative? Who knows what the programs algorithms do when deciding how to "color" the blocks.

HOWEVER, I deleted almost 40GB of movie files ( and emptied the trash) before I started trying to defrag, so one would think there would have been plenty of areas larger than 167.9 KB

I will report back after contig.exe finishes.:wink:

- Noel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What next?

OK, contig.exe finished. Said it did work on 500 something files out of several thousand.

After that, I started Smart Defrag and did an analyzation, which one can see below. then I had it defrag (which took less than a minute) and it produced the report below (only part of it showing), along with the second image of the chart.

I guess I will have to remove more of the movies, for they must be keeping the processes from working properly. Too many GB in one directory maybe. Most of the movies are in one directory.

Any other ideas?

- Noel

Hi nct

I think it is a good idea to move all those video files out of the C: drive.

I suppose you have run a disk check?

chkdsk /r Checks the primary drive (settings/files/empty space repaired after restart)

Cheers

solbjerg

OK, contig.exe finished. Said it did work on 500 something files out of several thousand.

After that, I started Smart Defrag and did an analyzation, which one can see below. then I had it defrag (which took less than a minute) and it produced the report below (only part of it showing), along with the second image of the chart.

I guess I will have to remove more of the movies, for they must be keeping the processes from working properly. Too many GB in one directory maybe. Most of the movies are in one directory.

Any other ideas?

- Noel

What do you think?

This has become a sort of chalange. I think I am going to move each movie off to a stick, deleat it on the c: drive, then copy it back into it's own directory onto the c: drive.

This will say something about too much MB in one directory. What do you think?

Would like to find the reason why this is happening now so it might help others, not just fix my problem.:razz:

Hi nct

Certainly is a challenge.

Your course of action sounds good, - to use both belt and suspenders,

try running a chkdsk (full) again and a defragmentation before sending the videoes back to the folder on C:

I do not think I have seen a defrag legend looking more red than yours :-)

Yes it is a good plan to share the findings with other users - applauded!

How long since your last defragmentation before all this?

How long since your last chkdsk?

Cheers

solbjerg

This has become a sort of chalange. I think I am going to move each movie off to a stick, deleat it on the c: drive, then copy it back into it's own directory onto the c: drive.

This will say something about too much MB in one directory. What do you think?

Would like to find the reason why this is happening now so it might help others, not just fix my problem.:razz:

One at a time

Did a disk check with Advanced System Care a few days ago with no problems.

Defrag, I don't remember how long ago, but probably a long time.

I only have a 2 MB stick, so I was going to move each file one at a time, then move it back into it's own directory. I think I want to test if it might be too many MB in one directory that is causing these defrag programs the problem.

Just the suspenders this time . . . . the belt next.:idea: Otherwise, won't know which worked.

Hi nct

I would run the chkdsk with the switch /r

The screenshot reports some errors

When you say 2MB I hope you mean 2GB :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Did a disk check with Advanced System Care a few days ago with no problems.

Defrag, I don't remember how long ago, but probably a long time.

I only have a 2 MB stick, so I was going to move each file one at a time, then move it back into it's own directory. I think I want to test if it might be too many MB in one directory that is causing these defrag programs the problem.

Just the suspenders this time . . . . the belt next.:idea: Otherwise, won't know which worked.

It is seen clearly in the screenshot of command prompt window that, MFT Bitmap should be corrected, as it is showing a space allocated, when in fact it is empty.

Checkdisk without a switch is only read only mode, it will not correct the problem you have.

Certainly, chkdsk /R process is needed as solbjerg says.

I wish you could apply the process described below after moving most of the large files to another disk (alltogether), then moving them back after the process.

Click "start"=>click "Run"=>type cmd=>click "OK"=>command prompt window(c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe) opens=>type chkdsk /R=>enter=>question is asked for Yes? or No?=>type Y=>enter=>information about the procedure is shown=>close the window=>Restart the computer.

Wait for checkdisk to finish 5 steps.

Do not type anything or/and stop the computer. IT WILL TAKE QUITE LONG TIME. (Perhaps, in excess of 1 hour.)

After finishing, it will automatically restart the computer.

You can try the defragmentation programs now!.

Cheers.

Some more information

I did use the /r with chkdsk from the command prompt, and it did have me restart the computer. Still came back with no errors.

I have a program called Eraser, and I just tired it to get it to overwrite all of the unused space (one of it's abilities), however, after it ran, the report showed hundreds of files that "failed" with the reason of "protected file".

I don't know why the many other files failed. Perhaps all the empty space is being taken up and "protected" by windows for some reason; perhaps the Restore part of recovery?

I have included the Eraser log text file for your review. I had to zip it with winzip.

Also found this at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457122.aspx

"Disk Defragmenter has new capabilities, including a command-line option. Windows XP Professional offers two choices for defragmenting disks: the Disk Defragmenter snap-in and a new command-line version of the tool (Defrag.exe). Both tools can defragment NTFS volumes that have cluster sizes larger than 4 KB and files smaller than 16 clusters. Both tools can also defragment the master file table (MFT) on NTFS volumes."

My report states that that I have 8 sectors per cluster, and 512 bytes per sector, so does that translate to 512 x 8 = 4.096 KB per cluster, and that times 16 clusters = 65,536 KB max file size? The movies (and others) are much larger then that.

Thanks to both of you for all your time and suggestions!:-P

EraserLog.zip

Hi nct

If you look in the log under administration, you will find a log of the logon after the chkdsk. Right click this and choose Properties, and this will tell you what has been corrected.

Cheers

solbjerg

I did use the /r with chkdsk from the command prompt, and it did have me restart the computer. Still came back with no errors.

I have a program called Eraser, and I just tired it to get it to overwrite all of the unused space (one of it's abilities), however, after it ran, the report showed hundreds of files that "failed" with the reason of "protected file".

I don't know why the many other files failed. Perhaps all the empty space is being taken up and "protected" by windows for some reason; perhaps the Restore part of recovery?

I have included the Eraser log text file for your review. I had to zip it with winzip.

Also found this at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457122.aspx

"Disk Defragmenter has new capabilities, including a command-line option. Windows XP Professional offers two choices for defragmenting disks: the Disk Defragmenter snap-in and a new command-line version of the tool (Defrag.exe). Both tools can defragment NTFS volumes that have cluster sizes larger than 4 KB and files smaller than 16 clusters. Both tools can also defragment the master file table (MFT) on NTFS volumes."

My report states that that I have 8 sectors per cluster, and 512 bytes per sector, so does that translate to 512 x 8 = 4.096 KB per cluster, and that times 16 clusters = 65,536 KB max file size? The movies (and others) are much larger then that.

Thanks to both of you for all your time and suggestions!:-P

Hi nct

If you look in the log under administration, you will find a log of the logon after the chkdsk. Right click this and choose Properties, and this will tell you what has been corrected.

Cheers

solbjerg

Not quite sure where to find this log file from the above, can you be more specific?

:oops: Been down for 36 hours, as I somehow crashed my computer . . .Maybe a virus my stuff didn't catch. Seems it erased <windows root>\system32\hal.dll, and that took out the operating system. I used some progams I have to get it found and fixed without loosing anything. . . . . .

. . . .Including the same problem, and as in my last post, don't uderstand why so much was "protected" from the Eraser program when Eraser was just trying to erase what was supposed to be marked as free space on the drive. Any thoughts?:?:

I am going to run chkdsk again, just like this:

Click "start"=>click "Run"=>type cmd=>click "OK"=>command prompt window(c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe) opens=>type chkdsk /R=>enter=>question is asked for Yes? or No?=>type Y=>enter=>information about the procedure is shown=>close the window=>Restart the computer.

As asked, and I will first transfer as many of the large files as I can to a DVD first. At least half or so which should be another 30GB or so. Will let you know what happens.

- Noel

Hi nct53,

When the Windows is opened:

Go to Start => Run => type: eventvwr.msc /s =>hit enter.

When Event Viewer opens,=>click on "Application"=> scroll down to "Winlogon" => double-click on it.

This is the log created after running Checkdisk. (chkdsk /R)

Cheers.

Found it

Here is a printout of the log, and by the way, it was right after this that I had the crash :!:

Also just ran Smart Defrag again (but not deleted the large files yet), and attached screens of the report. Some improvement, but still looks like it bled to death.:sad:

GOT to be SOMETHING holding onto that free space.

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Winlogon

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 5/23/2009

Time: 20:21:51

User: N/A

Computer: NOEL-HOME

Description:

Checking file system on C:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is ..

A disk check has been scheduled.

Windows will now check the disk.

Cleaning up instance tags for file 0x10ae2.

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.

Cleaning up 882 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 882 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 882 unused security descriptors.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

Usn Journal verification completed.

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the

master file table (MFT) bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

187036730 KB total disk space.

121054224 KB in 140021 files.

55916 KB in 14838 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

274950 KB in use by the system.

4096 KB occupied by the log file.

65651640 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

46759182 total allocation units on disk.

16412910 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:

10 d0 02 00 f6 5c 02 00 ac 62 03 00 00 00 00 00 .....\...b......

f2 04 00 00 06 00 00 00 b0 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

52 75 be 0b 00 00 00 00 d6 f7 66 4d 00 00 00 00 Ru........fM....

c2 5e 00 25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .^.%............

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 d4 d6 e4 83 00 00 00 00 ................

99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 60 40 07 00 f5 22 02 00 ..6.....`@..."..

00 00 00 00 00 40 90 dc 1c 00 00 00 f6 39 00 00 .....@.......9..

Windows has finished checking your disk.

Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Did you try the second time chkdsk /R , after taking out some large files?

Perhaps, wiping free space will do the job!!!

You can find this function in some applications. One that I know of, is CCleaner v 2.19.901, or another one is Glary Utilities.

Use the secure deletion option. (DOD-3passes, NSA-7passes, Gutmann-35passes)

One other option to try is taking the full image of your disk with Acronis, formatting the drive and then removing the image back to the disk.

I am geting out of suggestions nct53!!!

You must finish that sfc /scannow command with your Windows installer CD to be on the safe side with deleting contents of DLLCache folder. Infact, Dial-a-fix has this option. But you have to check/prepare the route paths for that.

If nothing is successful, I will try to guide you on that.

Cheers.

I am backing up some of the large files now to DVD disks, and will try again after I get tired of doing that and open up some more space.

You may have missed that I tried to wipe the free space with Eraser, which has that function, and the Eraser log I sent you shows that much of what it tried to do was not allowed.

I have Acronis, but not a second drive to use it with, and can't afford one either. Can't imagine backing up the whole 250GB drive to DVD! :shock: Acronis is what I used to get my computer back, running it from the CD in DOS mode.

But I can try another program too on that free space wipe to see if there is any better luck. Will let you know as I try a few things. :smile:

Thanks again for your help!

Update

Well, I managed to move off about 20GB of movie files, then ran Erasure again, and it said it erased about 80GB of free space, so that sounded good.

However, I then ran Smart Defrag, and it still showed very little white space. I am currently running the Windows defrag, and at 19% complete, some white space is starting to show up, but nothing to write home about.

Plan on trying CCleaner if I can find it, and if you are familiar with all the stuff on Acronis, is there something among the many programs it contains I should try?

I do not have a Windows setup disk since it came on the machine, but I did make a System Recovery Disks, which I tried to use the last time I ran sfc /scan now, and it did provide many of the files sfc wanted, but at the end, there were 10 or so it couldn't find on the disks. Haven't tried sfc since I had to fix the computer yesterday. Might give it a try after defrag finishes.

Odd

It seems that the computer doesn't recognize that he finished downloading the files and still believes that some excess is around. I ran Disktrix UltimateDefrag 2 times and it finally defragged my 4 gig file that it didn't want to. After that, Iobit said I had .13% fragments, so I just did a "Deep Optimize" as usual, and it set it to 0.00%.

Just some advice, yet no intention on offending.

Hi nct

Did you throw in some restarts of the system before trying the next step?

Cheers

solbjerg

Well, I managed to move off about 20GB of movie files, then ran Erasure again, and it said it erased about 80GB of free space, so that sounded good.

However, I then ran Smart Defrag, and it still showed very little white space. I am currently running the Windows defrag, and at 19% complete, some white space is starting to show up, but nothing to write home about.

Plan on trying CCleaner if I can find it, and if you are familiar with all the stuff on Acronis, is there something among the many programs it contains I should try?

I do not have a Windows setup disk since it came on the machine, but I did make a System Recovery Disks, which I tried to use the last time I ran sfc /scan now, and it did provide many of the files sfc wanted, but at the end, there were 10 or so it couldn't find on the disks. Haven't tried sfc since I had to fix the computer yesterday. Might give it a try after defrag finishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Affirmative

It's a good idea to do the Disk Check a few times.

Click Start > Run > then type "Chkdsk /f /r" (Without the quotes) then restart.

Then try to remove some of the junk files in the computer, since some act like they take up huge chunks of memory.

Another method is a Registry Repair, in which I don't know why I recommend, but something in the registry might be causing this issue.

I never use CCCleaner, but Isyscleaner Pro, although I don't see a difference.

Finally, try to defrag with another defragmenter as a test.

I still go on about DiskTrix Ultimate Defrag (I still hope that I don't get kicked for mentioning this over and over.)

Worked for me. XD

I'm BACK!

Well, after a crash, and getting my computer back up with no file loss (amazing!)

I finally decided to run windows defrag from the safe menu, dos prompt. It ran and did it's thing, but guess what? with all the reported "free space" after running Smart defrag, look at the attached screen shot. notice that there is very little "free space" showing. The red is gone, but now it has been replaced by "rarely used" which would seem to imply that windows seems to think there is data there of some sort.

After doing a defrag, I am at 0 fragmentation, but still not showing "free space", yet there seems to be almost 50% of disk free space (see attached screen shot.)

I have as of yet not come up with a 100GB drive to try and transfer everytihng back and forth, but I guess that is the only thing I can do at this point. . . . . unless you have another idea. :!:

- Noel

Archived