IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Virtual Images / Large Files, SD can´t defrag them, Algorithm proposals

Hey there,

Defragging huge files is a real pain in the a**. I have multiple Vmware images on my machine and SD just won´t defrag them, it seems to need a multitude of the size of the images!

Example: a 33GB VMware image had 736 fragments on a 160gb partition with 90GB free, overall fragmentation with minimal, some files positioned in the beginning of the HD, some in the end of the HD.

SD won´t do it - not enough free space it says.

So I downloaded Vopt and it did the job.

1) The current algorithm could be easily improved by at least STARTING to defrag hugely fragmented files. In the above case there was a multitude of 4-5GB big free chunks.

SD could have reduced fragmentation in one run easily (without a complex algorithm) from 736 to say 5 or so. But SD seems to want perfection and does nothing in this case.

2) Then of course Vopt did it and moved some 3GB out of the way to get a continguous 33GB free space slot. SD seems not to employ these tactics somehow.

Some additional: SD excludes a lot of small files spread over the partition. In Vopt I can see what it in the sectors, it is files like:

SMSvcHost.ressources.dll::$ATTRIBUTE_LIST (4kb)

oem32.inf:Zone.Identifier (4kb)

Why does not SD collect them all and attaches them in the contiguous block at the beginning or the end of the HD?

Just this would have created a contiguous block of eg. 60GB (this free space with sparsely separated by those mini-files).

Why does SD skip them? They were NOT on the system partition, but on another Windows partition - hence most likely none of those files are in use!!!

Hi livelock

If you are looking for a large file defragger that just defrag the file you chose - you could try Contig by by Mark Russinovich.

If you only have a few of those files this method will be much quicker.

In my opinion I do not think that defragging a picture/video file is of much help and at least in the case of video files may be a bad idea.

I would copy the file from its position - delete it there - and then insert the copy, this will usually defragment it.

Cheers

solbjerg

Some additional: SD excludes a lot of small files spread over the partition. In Vopt I can see what it in the sectors, it is files like:

SMSvcHost.ressources.dll::$ATTRIBUTE_LIST (4kb)

oem32.inf:Zone.Identifier (4kb)

Why does not SD collect them all and attaches them in the contiguous block at the beginning or the end of the HD?

Just this would have created a contiguous block of eg. 60GB (this free space with sparsely separated by those mini-files).

Why does SD skip them? They were NOT on the system partition, but on another Windows partition - hence most likely none of those files are in use!!!

Archived