IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Symantec blocked by SmartRam

sholle

I found this problem because my event log filled up with this message:

SYMANTEC TAMPER PROTECTION ALERT

Target: C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\VPTray.exe

Event Info: Set Information Process

Action Taken: Blocked

Actor Process: C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3\Sup_SmartRAM.exe (PID 4832)

Time: Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:22:15 PM

and this message:

SYMANTEC TAMPER PROTECTION ALERT

Target: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe

Event Info: Set Information Process

Action Taken: Blocked

Actor Process: C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3\Sup_SmartRAM.exe (PID 4832)

Time: Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:22:15 PM

repeated over and over again.

Any ideas?

Hi sholle,

It must be one of those false positives again I suppose.

Synmantec sees the activity of SmartRAM as a suspicious process and blocks it.

Put the Sup_SmartRAM.exe process in the trusted list in Symantec.

Please read the False Positive Alerts about ASC 3 by Security Programs post in USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS thread in Lounge section.

You can have Sup_SmartRAM.exe file checked as described there.

Cheers.

XP

Administrator, although I may not have administrative rights to the Antivirus.

I've checked the Symantec web site and as far as I can tell there is no way to manually add a program as trusted. I can understand why they wouldn't want this feature in a corporate environment.

The problem doesn't seem to be false detection of a virus but that SmartRam activity is being detected by the Tamper Protection part of the program. Maybe I just can't use SmartRam with Symantec?

Hi sholle,

Is your Sup_SmartRAM.exe file 197 KB (202,064 bytes) size,2.0.2.0 version and digital signature dated Thursday, 19 Feb. 2009?

If so, and there is no blocking under compatibility tab of properties, I think you should ask your company to put it in the trusted files of Symantec security.

Did you unblock the asc-setup.exe after downloading?

You may try to clean uninstal and clean install, but I don't think it will solve the problem.

Sorry that I can not interfere with Symantec!!!

May be some one else in the Forum can help!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

re Symantec

Just got a new version of Symantec (Endpoint) and have the same problem but better diagnostics. Apparently, Smartram is trying to free ram used by the Symantec program. I'd say that's a pretty big no-no. Guess I'll just have to turn it off.

Are you sure that when smartram is enabled it isn't disabling other anti-virus programs? Definately wouldn't want to put this in an exception list if it wants to disable my anti-virus.

Archived