IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How are "frequently used" files determined?

It makes perfect sense to move the frequently used files to the faster areas of the disk, but how are the "frequently used" files determined? Does Smart Defrag look at the file type and say "Hey this is an .mp3 file and people love music, so mp3 files must be frequently used. Here, this one's a dll, and they are no fun, so let's move that to the end of the disk". Or maybe it looks at the last accessed date, and files not accessed for a few weeks must not be frequently used? I would think the Accessed date would change during things like a backup, virus scan, or even a defrag, so it wouldn't be a reliable measure of use frequency. Or maybe there are some windows statistics on every file indicating how often it's accessed? I know there are PreFetch statistics in Windows XP, but that's only executables, not every file.

Also, the time I notice disk access slowdowns the most is during boot time. Is there a way to identify all the files accessed during those first few minutes of booting up, and give them high priority for the "frequently used" repositioning of files on the disk?

Hi Spocko

Those are rather technical questions.

Try reading enoskypes thread "Think about Defragmentation!!!" in the Lounge section, - there might be information there concerning your questions. A lot of issues are discussed and described there.

Cheers

solbjerg

It makes perfect sense to move the frequently used files to the faster areas of the disk, but how are the "frequently used" files determined? Does Smart Defrag look at the file type and say "Hey this is an .mp3 file and people love music, so mp3 files must be frequently used. Here, this one's a dll, and they are no fun, so let's move that to the end of the disk". Or maybe it looks at the last accessed date, and files not accessed for a few weeks must not be frequently used? I would think the Accessed date would change during things like a backup, virus scan, or even a defrag, so it wouldn't be a reliable measure of use frequency. Or maybe there are some windows statistics on every file indicating how often it's accessed? I know there are PreFetch statistics in Windows XP, but that's only executables, not every file.

Also, the time I notice disk access slowdowns the most is during boot time. Is there a way to identify all the files accessed during those first few minutes of booting up, and give them high priority for the "frequently used" repositioning of files on the disk?

Archived