IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Disk Cleaner Utility

CrazyTim

In ASC Pro 3.3.1, under Utilities | Tuneup there is a Disk Cleaner utility. If I click it and then the "next" button, it scans the selected drive and returns five Categories to be cleaned: Temp Files, Backup Files, Cache Files, Log Files, and Other Junk Files. If I then select Other Junk Files and click the "Show details" button, two files are indicated that I'm concerned about. The files are:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\freebl3.chk

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\softokn3.chk

I know *.CHK files (e.g. 0000.chk, 0001.chk, etc.), usually are created by CHKDSK or SCANDSK/Scandisk when lost file clusters are found by them, but I believe these particular two files are part of Firefox. Right?

Does anyone know what those two files do or are for?

Yes, I've Googled my little heart out, but I've not been able to actually come up with exactly what the files are, or do, or if they are needed, or can be deleted and would be auto-recreated. :neutral:

Thx!

CT

Hi again Tim-I use FF almost exclusively,and I don't have those entries in my log file.Not sure what they are,but someone here just might.

Well, I'm flying without them at the moment to see if anything odd happens.

I made copies of them in the same directory before I let Disk Cleaner remove them. (All files I removed are in the backup they allow for the time being.)

The other files I was wondering about were 3 EDB.CHK files that appeared in various directories under C:\Windows -- in \System32\.., \SoftwareDistribution\.., and one other place. I decided to play fast and loose and walk on the wild side today, and let Disk Cleaner remove them, too. (gee. I think I just turned myself on a little.) One of them, C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.chk, has already been recreated.

Thx for your input!

CT

/me removes sunglasses so he can see the "Submit Reply" button.

Disk Cleaner Utility

Hello everybody,

I have a little problem...

My one and a half year old son has put a SD card in my wii Disk slot....

Does anyone have a simple Solution? Before i open my wii for the first time?

Hello everybody,

I have a little problem...

My one and a half year old son has put a SD card in my wii Disk slot....

Does anyone have a simple Solution? Before i open my wii for the first time?

ummm... pull it out?

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0050.gif Confucius say, "If man would have done that 1½ years ago + 9 months, then no need for man to do it now."

/me slaps himself.

Solved I believe

FWIW, I've probably now got about 30+ hours of being on the internet using Firefox and without having those two files, i.e.

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\freebl3.chk

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\softokn3.chk

I've had no Firefox or other problems. I would guess these files aren't needed.

OTOH, if you have the files and want to remove them, I would shift-drag them to the same directory (to make copies of them), and then change their names to

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\freebl3.chk BACKUP" and

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\softokn3.chk BACKUP"

Using that format, with the "BACKUP" at the end of the file name, will make sure that the file isn't removed by some software... perhaps even ASC.

Good day,

CT

Archived