IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC may have damaged my system registry

Hi solbjerg,

I'm not arguing that the majority of ASC users have problems with ASC. I'm arguing that it is unknowable as to how many of the 10 million ASC users may or may not be having problems or be aware of problems caused by ASC. To argue for one side or the other is not realistic. All I am saying is that you cannot assume that users not reporting problems caused by ASC does not mean they are not having problems or are aware of those problems.

It's my understanding that the only way to read the ASC manual is to reinstall ASC. Is this true?

There may be far more pro's than con's in IObit products, but it only takes one con to create havoc or disaster.

I'm not a lawyer or studying to become one. I'm just a retired COBOL programmer.

Cheers.

Hi badluckguy

Ok, good luck, guy! :-)

Please read

Online Help for IObit Software

and the Manual !!

Take a look at this too

http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=4352&postcount=1 :-)

Are you arguing that the majority of users have problems with ASC??

That is ludicrous!

In my opinion there are far more pro's than con's in IObit products.

It is true that the advertising text isn't quite true, (but that's advertising) after the first run or two, where you configure the program and the settings and place possible "problems" in the Ignore List, you can use the Care button - and then it practically is a one-click-solution.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Are you a lawyer or studying to become one? :-)

Ok badluckguy

Have you read through all the problems reported in the forum?

That should at least give an indication.

http://www.iobit.com/help/

This is the link to the online help

I am attaching a file that shows what comes up when you click Start/Programs/Advanced System Care/Manual.

Haven't seen much about Cobol and Fortran since my brother learned those languages while working at CERN in 1968 :-)

Cheers

Solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

I'm not arguing that the majority of ASC users have problems with ASC. I'm arguing that it is unknowable as to how many of the 10 million ASC users may or may not be having problems or be aware of problems caused by ASC. To argue for one side or the other is not realistic. All I am saying is that you cannot assume that users not reporting problems caused by ASC does not mean they are not having problems or are aware of those problems.

It's my understanding that the only way to read the ASC manual is to reinstall ASC. Is this true?

There may be far more pro's than con's in IObit products, but it only takes one con to create havoc or disaster.

I'm not a lawyer or studying to become one. I'm just a retired COBOL programmer.

Cheers.

Hi solbjerg,

I read the ASC manual (Advanced SystemCare v3 Quick Start Guide) you attached to your last post and checked out http://www.iobit.com/help/. In neither is there any mention of AWC needing to be uninstalled before ASC is installed. In neither did I find a recommendation that any security applications be shut down during a cleaning operation by ASC. In neither did I find any mention of the need to use HijackThis before the first ASC cleaning operation, let alone any mention of HijackThis at all. And neither instills confidence in me that I will be knowledgeable enough to prevent ASC from inadvertently deleting critical system registry entries.

If I were to install ASC again and it again deletes system registry entries that prevent me from being able to do a System Restore (among other things), like I'm positive it did to me and which led me to start this thread, what recourse will I have other than to reformat my hard drive again, reload my OS again, reload my data again, and reload my third party software again? I don't want to have to go through reloading my system again. How would I ever know that ASC has damaged my system registry again other than stumbling across it when OS functions and applications (e.g., IE 8 ) start to fail? If I always have to be able to distinguish necessary system registry entries from unnecessary ones or rely on someone else (the HijackThis forum?) to know what system registry entries are safe to delete, then I don't consider ASC to be a safe application. If I can't get a guarantee or assurance that ASC will never delete my critical system registry entries again, then it isn't worth it to me to install it again.

Cheers.

Ok badluckguy

Have you read through all the problems reported in the forum?

That should at least give an indication.

http://www.iobit.com/help/

This is the link to the online help

I am attaching a file that shows what comes up when you click Start/Programs/Advanced System Care/Manual.

Haven't seen much about Cobol and Fortran since my brother learned those languages while working at CERN in 1968 :-)

Cheers

Solbjerg

Hi badluckguy

Well, you can't have done more than just skim it.

Please read it ALL also the links.

Here is an exerpt from the online Help

"There are a number of possible reasons caused this problem. Solution:

First, update ASC to the latest version and the latest database file.

Second, while running Advanced SystemCare 3 Pro, please temporarily disable or close any background program such as antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall. If you're concerned about a possible attack, disconnect your internet connection for the moment."

And I could copy it all - but there would be no guarantee you read it

It is described in more detail here

Well no matter

I am leaving this debate, I feel that you are not seeking help, but just debating for the sake of debating and furthermore you are not going to use the product - you have stated that several times

Sorry you ran into so much trouble!

Reading the manual first and the information that comes up under every section when you check the "problems" would - I think have prevented it.

Goodby and good luck

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

I read the ASC manual (Advanced SystemCare v3 Quick Start Guide) you attached to your last post and checked out http://www.iobit.com/help/. In neither is there any mention of AWC needing to be uninstalled before ASC is installed. In neither did I find a recommendation that any security applications be shut down during a cleaning operation by ASC. In neither did I find any mention of the need to use HijackThis before the first ASC cleaning operation, let alone any mention of HijackThis at all. And neither instills confidence in me that I will be knowledgeable enough to prevent ASC from inadvertently deleting critical system registry entries.

If I were to install ASC again and it again deletes system registry entries that prevent me from being able to do a System Restore (among other things), like I'm positive it did to me and which led me to start this thread, what recourse will I have other than to reformat my hard drive again, reload my OS again, reload my data again, and reload my third party software again? I don't want to have to go through reloading my system again. How would I ever know that ASC has damaged my system registry again other than stumbling across it when OS functions and applications (e.g., IE 8 ) start to fail? If I always have to be able to distinguish necessary system registry entries from unnecessary ones or rely on someone else (the HijackThis forum?) to know what system registry entries are safe to delete, then I don't consider ASC to be a safe application. If I can't get a guarantee or assurance that ASC will never delete my critical system registry entries again, then it isn't worth it to me to install it again.

Cheers.

try to run checkdisc it has helped me in the past when reg cure coruppted my registry.and before you run any registry cleaners you can back up your registry manually yourself.+ system restorepoint of course.+use revo uninnstaler and get rid of all traces when you unninstall any programs and then reinstall the programs you can

Hi jorgen,

I ran chkdsk and it didn't resolve anything. I created a restore point before installing ASC and when it prompted me to let it create one immediately after installing ASC. I tried restoring my PC from both those restore points plus a much older one, both in normal and safe mode, but all my attempts to restore my PC resulted in System Restore issuing a message informing me that it could not do the restore because nothing had changed on my system. On July 1, I reformatted and reloaded my OS to get my computer working again after the initial ASC clean operation corrupted my system registry so badly that my PC lost a lot of functionality immediately afterward.

try to run checkdisc it has helped me in the past when reg cure coruppted my registry.and before you run any registry cleaners you can back up your registry manually yourself.+ system restorepoint of course.+use revo uninnstaler and get rid of all traces when you unninstall any programs and then reinstall the programs you can

Hi solbjerg,

I may have gotten a bit off track in this thread, but.....

Is it debating to ask how the ASC clean operation is affected and how it behaves when files it is trying to access during the scan are blocked by the Spyware Terminator Real-Time Shield?

Is it debating to ask if there are applications other than Spyware Terminator that conflict with ASC?

Is it debating to ask if Comodo firewall, Avira AntiVir Personal, WinPatrol Free, and Trend Micro RUBotted, all real-time security software I am currently using, will conflict with ASC?

Is it debating to question the need for using HijackThis and the HijackThis forum to determine what is safe for ASC to clean, even though it appears there is no ASC documentation mentioning the necessity for this?

Is it debating for me to ask if ASC has the capability of deleting or potential to delete critical system registry entries without knowledgeable intervention by the ASC user?

Is it debating for me to ask what my recourse is if I were to reinstall ASC, run the clean operation taking all the precautions I can identify to prevent critical system registry entries from being deleted, and still have that happen? What do I do if that happens again, start another IObit forum thread?

Is it debating to find out what preventive measures I can take with ASC to always be able to distinguish necessary system registry entries from unnecessary ones that are safe to delete so that I can use ASC without fear of it damaging my system registry so badly that I can't do a System Restore?

Is it debating to ask for confirmation or verification that AWC needs to be uninstalled separately before ASC is installed, even though the ASC installer appears equipped to handle the uninstall of AWC?

Is it debating to not take at face value the claim that ASC was not the cause of my problem and to not question the integrity or infallibility of ASC?

In the excerpt you quoted from IObit online Help, it says, "...while running Advanced SystemCare 3 Pro, please temporarily disable or close any background program such as antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall." I wasn't using the Pro version of ASC, so the question then is does the excerpted quote apply to the free version too, or is that considered debating?

And why is it that no one is interested in looking at the ASC report I created listing the registry entries to be deleted before I ran the initial ASC repair? Is it because there's no way to determine what many of those registry entries affect (which would make that report somewhat useless, I would guess)?

I don't expect a response. I just needed to get this off my chest because I want to be able to use ASC, but so far my confidence in ASC hasn't been boosted.

Hi badluckguy

Well, you can't have done more than just skim it.

Please read it ALL also the links.

Here is an exerpt from the online Help

"There are a number of possible reasons caused this problem. Solution:

First, update ASC to the latest version and the latest database file.

Second, while running Advanced SystemCare 3 Pro, please temporarily disable or close any background program such as antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall. If you're concerned about a possible attack, disconnect your internet connection for the moment."

And I could copy it all - but there would be no guarantee you read it

It is described in more detail here

Well no matter

I am leaving this debate, I feel that you are not seeking help, but just debating for the sake of debating and furthermore you are not going to use the product - you have stated that several times

Sorry you ran into so much trouble!

Reading the manual first and the information that comes up under every section when you check the "problems" would - I think have prevented it.

Goodby and good luck

Cheers

solbjerg

• 1 year later...

Beware of any Registry fix program

I have found that a quick and easy way to mess up your registry is to use a registry program, any registry fix program that claims to clean, repair or fix it. The most I will do is cleanout unused registry entries and then I will check to see what is to be deleted. I have no idea most of the time what processes the registry cleaners are knocking out or repairing so I tend to leave them alone. I did try and use the ASC registry cleaner and it was a disaster and was so relieved that it could be be undone. Unless you are a Windows certified programmer my personal opinion is stay away from these programs. These folks who lost their registry might have tried rebuilding it from the recovery software with their operating system. Here is an article from smart computing http ://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2F2006%2Fs1712%2F08s12%2F08s12.asp or google your own favorite instructions. Cathy

EDIT : There is no concerned article there, I have delinked your link. I hope you are not a spammer.

Archived