IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Explorer has encountered a problem...

CrazyTim

A few days ago I bought a second subscription to ASC for my son's computer. After going through the formalities of checking what changes and deletions would be allowed to be made by ASC, and not allowing the same registry changes (seven [7] of them in the Ignore List for System Optimization), which I also don't allow on my own computer, I let the ASC "Care!" button do its thing.

Everything has gone pretty much smoothly, just as it had/has on my own computer. However, after allowing the ASC suggested changes and deletions, we are now noticing one problem on his computer. The problem happens when we are using Explorer to look at the various C:\ drive's folders/directories. When we click on certain folders, we are getting an error and are not able to see the list of files in the folder/directory.

The first error window (see the first attachment below) says "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. ..." It also says, "For more information about this error, click here." If I click that, I get the second error window (see the second attachment below), which indicates the error possibly has something to do with the NTDLL.DLL file module.

FWIW, I might add that when this error comes up, we are often clicking on a folder/directory that contains a lot of graphic files (maybe 60), and probably would come up in the Explorer Thumbnails view.

Thx in advance for any thoughts, help or suggestions about this or what may be causing the problem!!!

CT

Hi Tim

Have you tried one of the sfc / commands?

Cheers

solbjerg

A few days ago I bought a second subscription to ASC for my son's computer. After going through the formalities of checking what changes and deletions would be allowed to be made by ASC, and not allowing the same registry changes (seven [7] of them in the Ignore List for System Optimization), which I also don't allow on my own computer, I let the ASC "Care!" button do its thing.

Everything has gone pretty much smoothly, just as it had/has on my own computer. However, after allowing the ASC suggested changes and deletions, we are now noticing one problem on his computer. The problem happens when we are using Explorer to look at the various C:\ drive's folders/directories. When we click on certain folders, we are getting an error and are not able to see the list of files in the folder/directory.

The first error window (see the first attachment below) says "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. ..." It also says, "For more information about this error, click here." If I click that, I get the second error window (see the second attachment below), which indicates the error possibly has something to do with the NTDLL.DLL file module.

FWIW, I might add that when this error comes up, we are often clicking on a folder/directory that contains a lot of graphic files (maybe 60), and probably would come up in the Explorer Thumbnails view.

Thx in advance for any thoughts, help or suggestions about this or what may be causing the problem!!!

CT

Ouch

Good call Solbjerg-sfc /scannow might set it right.I would first go poking around through Control Panel>Folder Options>View and File Types tabs.Tim,silly I know,but did you try ASC or Windows restore? I'm assuming the "click here" on the second window goes to MS's land of non information.

First, I haven't tried any of those suggestions yet (except for a thorough Checkdisk/scandisk of all sectors, which I did before even leaving my first message... no problem was found on the NTFS HDD), but thank you for them. I tend to take these things very slowly, and it is also on my son's computer and not where I'm normally sitting.

Anyway, I have an additional question.

Would you both make the same suggestions if I tell you that I'm pretty sure I have narrowed it down to only folders with graphics or pics, and those folders which are using the Thumbnails view and when they are using it; and, as weird as this may be, this is an intermittent problem. IOW, I can open explorer, migrate to a folder on my son's hard disk and NOT get the error, close explorer, then open it and migrate to the exact same folder again in the exact same way and get the error.

I'm also not sure it is even an ASC related issue. It may have been occurring before installing ASC on his computer and I just never noticed it. And there were a few things that changed on his computer since installing ASC. 1.) There was a Microsloth security update. 2.) The IE8 update was somehow forced -- onto both of our computers, actually. (We're set to notify only about Microsloth updates and I never selected the IE8 update for installation at their web sight.) 3.) I ran a defrag using Ultimate Defrag. 4.) There may have been some other updates that were done.

Anyway, I thought I would get your opinions about this since it is something that I find very, very odd -- particularly the fact that it is intermittent.

Thx again!

CT

Hl Tim

I suppose you have checked your settings in folder options?

Could it have anything to do with this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838877

Cheers

solbjerg

First, I haven't tried any of those suggestions yet (except for a thorough Checkdisk/scandisk of all sectors, which I did before even leaving my first message... no problem was found on the NTFS HDD), but thank you for them. I tend to take these things very slowly, and it is also on my son's computer and not where I'm normally sitting.

Anyway, I have an additional question.

Would you both make the same suggestions if I tell you that I'm pretty sure I have narrowed it down to only folders with graphics or pics, and those folders which are using the Thumbnails view and when they are using it; and, as weird as this may be, this is an intermittent problem. IOW, I can open explorer, migrate to a folder on my son's hard disk and NOT get the error, close explorer, then open it and migrate to the exact same folder again in the exact same way and get the error.

I'm also not sure it is even an ASC related issue. It may have been occurring before installing ASC on his computer and I just never noticed it. And there were a few things that changed on his computer since installing ASC. 1.) There was a Microsloth security update. 2.) The IE8 update was somehow forced -- onto both of our computers, actually. (We're set to notify only about Microsloth updates and I never selected the IE8 update for installation at their web sight.) 3.) I ran a defrag using Ultimate Defrag. 4.) There may have been some other updates that were done.

Anyway, I thought I would get your opinions about this since it is something that I find very, very odd -- particularly the fact that it is intermittent.

Thx again!

CT

Hl Tim

I suppose you have checked your settings in folder options?

Could it have anything to do with this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838877

Cheers

solbjerg

Well, yeah, I have looked at the Folders Options under the Tools pulldown, solbjerg. I don't know how having any of them set one way or the other should have anything to do with the problem. But, one never knows, does one? The one setting there that I think might be involved is the "Do not cache thumbnails" option, which IS checked. It's hard to verify if it contributes to the problem, since I cannot make the error occur all the time, or for sure whenever I want.

I looked at the KB article. I don't see any relationship because none of the files in the folders that sometimes have a problem are MS Office files.

I'm still mulling things over and will let you guys know if I figure out anything.

Thx!

CT

Hi Tim

"Do not cache thumbnails" isn't checked by me - and I have no problem.

Cheers

solbjerg

Well, yeah, I have looked at the Folders Options under the Tools pulldown, solbjerg. I don't know how having any of them set one way or the other should have anything to do with the problem. But, one never knows, does one? The one setting there that I think might be involved is the "Do not cache thumbnails" option, which IS checked. It's hard to verify if it contributes to the problem, since I cannot make the error occur all the time, or for sure whenever I want.

I looked at the KB article. I don't see any relationship because none of the files in the folders that sometimes have a problem are MS Office files.

I'm still mulling things over and will let you guys know if I figure out anything.

Thx!

CT

Hi Tim

"Do not cache thumbnails" isn't checked by me - and I have no problem.

Cheers

solbjerg

I think I'll experiment with that a bit on his computer.

However, that box is checked on my computer also and it doesn't appear to be exhibiting the same problem.

It would make more sense to me if the situation was reversed. IOW, the problem would be on my computer but not on his. The reason is that he is running a Dual Core 3Ghz and I've got a Pentium IV 3Ghz. Same RAM amount in both, and almost all other things the same, or similar, except motherboards.

Thx again!

CT

Hi Tim

I think to leave it unchecked is the default setting.

Perhaps you have run it for a while using default setting. this has generated the thumb caches, and then they perhaps just stays there, but no new thumbnails are added?

You wouldn't notice if you haven't added many pictures since, while your son perhaps has after you also have made the check in his thumbnail setting.

Possibility??

Cheers

solbjerg

I think I'll experiment with that a bit on his computer.

However, that box is checked on my computer also and it doesn't appear to be exhibiting the same problem.

It would make more sense to me if the situation was reversed. IOW, the problem would be on my computer but not on his. The reason is that he is running a Dual Core 3Ghz and I've got a Pentium IV 3Ghz. Same RAM amount in both, and almost all other things the same, or similar, except motherboards.

Thx again!

CT

Archived