IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Drop Down Menu Additions ??

MidRange

I just installed ASC this afternoon and now several entries appear on my drop down menu {when I would right click on any given file such as Wizard.exe} which I have not found a text file that describes their feature/function, purpose etc.... for example I did a search for Boost and the 2 help files had nothing to do with what I am looking for. These options change with the type of file being accessed of course... they include but for the purpose of brevity are not limited to I presume:

.exe file Boost With Advanced System Care (B)

.dll file Register This Component ®

Un Register This Component (U)

.html Open In Same Window

I presume there are other possibilities but I’ll just inquire about these. I am hesitant to even experiment and see the results especially the possibilities as far as messing with my Registry as in the case of the .dll file capabilities.

So just what do they mean and what happens when I activate the option? And where in the help files would I find these options listed so I will know to look therein before having to post here?

Thanks

Hi MidRange,

Please follow solbjerg's advice in post#2 of this thread for

Boost With Advanced System Care (B).

The other two:

Register This Component ®

are self explaning, and registers or unregisters dll files.

Open In Same Window

is for html files to open them in the same window of IE. (Does not matter in IE8.)

There are others such as

Open File Folder(F)

Clean Recycle Bin and Privacy©

You can uncheck them if you wish in the Settings of ASC.

If you use IS360,

Scan with IObit Security 360

Unlock & Delete

You can use them without hesitation as they will not harm your PC.

Cheers.

Good Evening Enoskype!

Thanks for your prompt reply.

However when you explained:

>>The other two:

Register This Component ®

are self explaning, and registers or unregisters dll files.<<

Well perhaps to you and even the rest of the world the concept of they're being 'self explanitory' is clear but still to me it is not. Why would I manually desire or have need to register or unregister a .dll?? I am not exactly a neophyte or a newbie... I have been around since the days of DOS and the first versions of Windows 3.xx and although I used to adeptly tweak all the .ini autoexec.bat config.sys files et al, I will admit as of the advent of Windows 95 and those conventions being surplanted by and then being somewhat intimidated by the Registry concept and format, I thought I had some basic understanding... I must have been absent the day they discussed registering .dlls.... :wink:

Would you please explain this concept and the relationship to ASC and/or the general overall concept please? Are they normally registered by themselves or in conjusction with the associated .exe programs?? What would be the effect of registering or unregistering the routine.dll found within the ASC directory visa vie the 'new' drop down menu option? What about any given .dll that is say found generically within the C:\Windows\System 32 Directory where there is not a direct link as might be presumed as within the ASC directory and the associated .exe found therein?

Perhaps my questions seem fundamental but unless you ask....

Thanks

Registering DLL files

Hi MidRange,

Please find below the explanation about regitering DLLs.

You first have to register DLL (Dynamic Link Library) files before your programs can use them. Registering a DLL file requires procedures to introduce it into the system.

In this process, the DLL file is associated with the applications requiring it. When a .dll file is not registered, the program which needs it would not be able to access the file’s information. The program then may not be able to function properly.

There are two ways to register a DLL file:

Manual Registration

You can register a DLL manually. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Find the exact location of your .dll file.

2. Click on the Start menu.

3. Select the Run option.

4. On the edit field of the Run dialog box, type regsvr32 followed by the complete path and file name of the .dll file. The path and file name should be enclosed in quotation marks.

Here is an example: regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\abcd.dll"

5. Make sure you have typed the information correctly and press enter. The system will include the .dll file in the registry.

6. You will see a message box telling you the DLL file has been successfully registered.

Self-Registering .dll Files

There are .dll files capable of registering themselves on the system’s registry. Normally, these .dll files perform the self-registering procedure during the installation of the software housing them. You do not need to do anything in this process. Once the said type of .dll files are registered, the application requiring them can immediately access their libraries.

Self-registering .dll files are generally more common than those that require manual registration.

In summary, sometimes certain DLL files do not register automatically, and IObit's ASC makes it easier for users to register DLL files if they are not automatically registered during the installation process.

I hope this explanation is sufficiant.

Cheers.

Hey Again Enoskype!

I totally understood your explanation E, the concept is clear. What isn't is that for all the time I have worked on my PC which has been 22 years now, I have never registered a .dll yet... I have relied on the installation program I suppose and have never even thought about the concept.

I am curious though and somewhat dubious actually, of say registering a .dll found in say System 32 directory and the lack of direct association with the program they are to enhance being somewhere else entirely. A perfect example would be all of the .dll's found there for my ATI Video Board... ATI and the current executables as well as the up to date .drv's and .dll's are located in the ATI Main Directory under Program Files\... Matter of fact as I just intimated, usually the associated drivers and dll's found in System 32 are out of date and even more so those in i386 and other such directories... I think I have atixxx.dll or .drv files in more directories all over my HD that drive me crazy trying to figure out which ones are the current and active ones. Now let me add that some of those inside of System 32 DO get updated but again many others remain in the other directories. Who dreams up the schematics .. well I certainly don't understand the logic. I guess you must... at least better than I.

Whenever I do an upgrade to ATI I will go into every directory where such are found, do an entire backup of all such and put them in a .zip file just in case... then I will use a comd prompt and just for the halibut :wink: use the old fashioned ATTRIB /-a and eliminate the archive attributes so I can tell which ones have been replaced in said directories. It amazes me how much of the active ATI .dll's & .drv's are spread out all over my HD...

Therefore if I were to use the function as provided by ASC and register the "wrong" outdated .dll couldn't that get me into trouble? Letting the install program do automatically what is now suggested by the manual registering of said .dll seems a lot safer... or conversely .... Oh I think you understand where I'm going with this...

Please explain.

Thanks much!

Archived