IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Odd Display

See the attached file for Smart Defrag's display on this XP Home system. There are no borders or border controls, and several of the interior command buttons are missing.

Smart Defrag has been reinstalled twice, and XP has all Microsoft updates.

...And there is no debugreport text file in the Smart Defrag directory. Perhaps that was created at time of last defrag, but no defrag has been run since today's clean install of the program.

:?

Hi greybeard (most of mine is also grey :-) )

I would first try to refresh the language setting. If that doesn't do anything I would try a (CCI) Completely Clean Install - uninstall program - delete it's folder (perhaps use Revo Uninstaller in advanced setting) and then install latest version of SD.

Cheers

solbjerg

See the attached file for Smart Defrag's display on this XP Home system. There are no borders or border controls, and several of the interior command buttons are missing.

Smart Defrag has been reinstalled twice, and XP has all Microsoft updates.

...And there is no debugreport text file in the Smart Defrag directory. Perhaps that was created at time of last defrag, but no defrag has been run since today's clean install of the program.

:?

Hi solbjerg, I would go for the second choise, the image is a clear indication of a mixture of old version and version 1.2,

The last icon Clean up PC on the left should not exist in the v.12.

I think, clean uninstall and install of SD1.2 again would do.

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

You are probably right my friend!

Hadn't noticed the mixture, - probably growing blind :-) or inattentive :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg, I would go for the second choise, the image is a clear indication of a mixture of old version and version 1.2,

The last icon Clean up PC on the left should not exist in the v.12.

I think, clean uninstall and install of SD1.2 again would do.

Cheers.

Hi beamrider

The quote doesn't show what is meant by "Completely Clean Install"

this means as explained in Usage of IObit Products, that you first uninstall the program, next delete the program folder, next run a registry cleanup application, - to be as thoroughly exhaustive cleanup as you can do - do a restart of the computer too.

After that download the newest Install file to your computer and unblock it - and finally Install it.

Please read this thread

Online Help for IObit Software

Cheers

solbjerg

I have the exact same problem, thanks for posting.

I have tried both suggestions, but no luck. I have also tried the Revo uninstaller

The folder disappears after uninstall

beamrider

In addition to Solbjerg-Have you used Revo in advanced mode? Also use Windows Search Assistant after Revo.Search for Smart Defrag and IObit(assuming you have any other IObit software) check carefully before manual delete of items found.You may also use the "Find in Registry" feature of Reg Seeker-use both the registry and file search.Check all boxes when performing the registry search.Your situation looks as though you had the auto defrag feature of SD enabled when you attempted the uninstall.That is why certain files would be left behind(they were in use)and then added to by the writing of the new files during installation.So you would have some duplicates,or a mix of old and new files within the same folder,so SD is confused as to what it should render upon opening.Hope I explained that in a way you could follow.If I'm even right about what happened....

I believe I have been as thorough as possible in the clean install procedures including Revo advanced, Reg cleaners, searching and cleaning HDD for anything iobit, smartdefrag, smart defrag, but still no luck.

I can go back and forth between versions 1.02, 1.03, 1.10 and 1.20. Yes, I archive most of useful programs I download.

I remember this problem appearing for me before 1.20, but I just reverted back to whatever worked and thought the next version would sort it out.

Screenshots show 1.02, 1.03 are the only versions where the buttons and border controls aren't invisible for me. Desktop changed to red for contrast.

Thank you all for your attention, help and suggestions.

Dualing Icons

I see in the screenshot the two smart defrag icons that detailer noticed. I have run smart defrag again, with only one icon showing, and the problem persists.

I wonder if the calls from Smart Defrag to various system functions are picked up by the wrong system libraries. Is .net possibly interfering, if 1.x, 2.x and 3.x versions are all installed?

ITgreybeard & beamrider

Interesting theory,but IObit software doesn't require .Net to operate.Nor should it interfere if it is installed.I have run with and without-no affect on ASC or SD.I can't seem to see a reason for this last update issue.Keeping your old .exe files should have nothing to do with this issue.Being a digital packrat,I have many IObit installers and I'm just careful to make sure they're not removed with something else,but they have never caused any issues with upgrades or new,clean installations.Everything I see points to an instance of SD running(possibly auto-defrag) during the upgrade/installation.Sorry,I'm out of ideas except to say it looks like something got left behind(that is not compatible with v. 1.20-but is present and compatible in older versions) in the uninstall process.I do believe you have made your best attempt at searching for and deleting the left-overs-I just don't know what else is afoot here.Late entry!! Enoskype made an excellent point in his post and now I see that it exists for you both.The Icon with the blue "Care" ball is not present in v. 1.20-it is only present in v. 1.10.Someone(a file) is playing hide and seek with you both.That Icon is a link to IObit as advertisement for ASC,which could explain why it doesn't uninstall like the rest of the regular files.I can't explain it,but maybe some background connection to the internet?? Maybe it's seen as an "active" file,or somehow perceived differently at the time of uninstallation,therefor it can't be deleted(though it certainly should be)There seems to be something that you gentlemen have in common in your respective set-ups,that most of the rest of us do not.If I were a Dr., I would conclude-same symptoms and same illness,but I don't know what it is.But I think I'm onto something here.

Shot in the dark

I freely admit that the .net theory was a :roll: shot in the dark. It was thought that it could :idea: ring a bell here or there if system libraries (.dll's particularly) were involved. Are there good reasons, e.g. disk safety, to not run an older version of the package? The product is not critical, but I would run an older version if it's available and thought to be acceptable.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Hi ITgreybeard & beamrider,

Give enoskype's last suggestion a shot. I ran in to something similar before with Smart Defrag and the Application Data files were the answer. But you may have to change your folder settings to "show hidden files" to find this.

samr.

That's worth a look-I have 1.20 and do not have that file or folder.I also do not have the Icon with the blue ball that links back to IObit.That's the "leftover" that's getting in the way for these guys-I'd bet on it.Now if I knew how to fix it,I'd pat myself on the back.Also,I see no difference between the actual performance of this version compared to the last.I believe the option to auto defrag multiple drives in the major difference.Stick with an older version til this can be sorted.

• 3 months later...

Hi beamrider

It looks like you have to do a completely clean install

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=11513#post11513

I can see from your screenshot that you must have had leftovers in the folder when you installed the latest version.

Take a look here on how it should look:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2583&d=1258413007

Cheers

solbjerg

Unfortunately, it seems 1.3 did not resolve the issue. Buttons and borders are still gone.

[ATTACH]2582[/ATTACH]

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I have done numerous clean installs as described in my previous posts in this thread, and am running out of ideas. What could possibly be running in the background to interfere with the uninstall? I think this product could do a better job of cleaning up after itself on uninstallation.

Hi beamrider

would you please go to C:/programs/IObit/IObit SmartDefrag and take a sceenshot of its contents and attach it here.

This is the folder you have deleted after uninstallation and cleaning up with Revo, right? Before installing a fresh copy of version 1.30?

Cheers

solbjerg

Unfortunately, I have done numerous clean installs as described in my previous posts in this thread, and am running out of ideas. What could possibly be running in the background to interfere with the uninstall? I think this product could do a better job of cleaning up after itself on uninstallation.

I installed 1.3.0 to get the first screenshot as requested. When I uninstall, the C:\Program files\IObit folder and all subfolders and files are automatically gone, second screenshot.

What does remain is C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\Application Data\IObit\config.ini which I can remove manually or with Revo, third screenshot.

What follows may be of interest. Next I used RegSeeker to find and remove iobit entries, but one keeps coming back, forth screenshot.

You are running Avg?

Hi beamrider!

This appears to be an AVG services entry? Have you added the Iobit name to anything inside avg? Ignore lists/default actions perhaps? Perhaps you can fix from inside avg.

I haven't used avg in a while, so maybe another forum member could better help.

It would seem though this entry if inside avg, shouldn't have the effect you are experiencing

beamrider, isn't this the default theme on your XP?

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3140&d=1260395256

Cheers.

BTW, you can try this new software in THIS post for clean uninstall. The author is the same as JavaRa.

I agree with Melvin that the iobit related item should be deleted within AVG.

Hi beamrider

That tb folder it shows - what is that?

I do not have it (I have 10 items in the folder)

Cheers

solbjerg

I installed 1.3.0 to get the first screenshot as requested. When I uninstall, the C:\Program files\IObit folder and all subfolders and files are automatically gone, second screenshot.

What does remain is C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\Application Data\IObit\config.ini which I can remove manually or with Revo, third screenshot.

What follows may be of interest. Next I used RegSeeker to find and remove iobit entries, but one keeps coming back, forth screenshot.

Archived