IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Software Informer

Nash

As I said in another thread, I am a n00b to computers and I don't like to be left out of the process ie: I am not a big fan of 'auto everything'

Personally, the best updater would be one that I launch, it goes to the software Homepage (nowhere else), checks for a new version and informs me.

I then accept the update which is downloaded and installed.

At the moment my updater is ME but it's fully manual and an old version :mrgreen:

As for drivers, no auto update for me.

I need to read at least 3 good reports before I even think about it :wink:

I'm not trying to say anything bad about Software Informer as I don't know enough about this stuff to have an informed opinion.

But, from a n00b point of view I do think it's a bit confusing. Questions like "can my software really be that out of date" and "why isn't this update listed on the software Homepage" become dilemmas that a n00b just does not need.

We n00bs (if I may speak for others) are willing to put in some effort to keep our computers running sweet but wish for this effort to be simple and convenient.

Advanced System Care is exactly this "simple and convenient" software we are looking for and advertises itself as such.

I don't think Software Informer fits smoothly into ASC (at least not this current version) and I feel it dulls an otherwise brilliant bit of software.

All the best, woz of oz

Above person, manual updating is fine for most apps, but when was the last tiem you manually checked your Audio or video drivers, Java or flash installation or ActiveX drivers? These things are easy to forget and having older versions can compromise security.

The best update checker I have used (And most accurate) is the filehippo one: http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

Above person, manual updating is fine for most apps, but when was the last tiem you manually checked your Audio or video drivers, Java or flash installation or ActiveX drivers? These things are easy to forget and having older versions can compromise security.

I agree that security updates should be done frequently and automatically and so I have Windows set to check for and install updates automatically every night.

Once a week I go to the Windows update site and do a Custom scan for updates. I have installed all of these 'optional' updates.

I think this takes care of the Windows components (but I could be wrong :wink: )

Also during my weekly Tuneup & Update I check Flash, Java etc.

I can understand that folks with a multitude of apps would not want to spend the time doing this but my PiP is a Petite 'Puter and so it's not so much trouble for me.

As for other drivers, I just recently installed an update for my Atheros WiFi driver that is 2 versions above the 'official' Windows/Acer update but only after I had read enough reports that it was not going to cause problems :smile:

Software Informer told me I had 26 'things' that needed updating, I didn't trust it's information so then I would have to double check.

So instead of me simply checking for updates I would have been checking for updates that possibly were not suitable for my computer or couldn't be found easily.

I search around trying to find some info on these mysterious updates, find nothing, search again, then frustration sets in.

So the reasonably simple task of checking for updates once a week is replaced by a time consuming burden, something to dread :-(

That's not for me.

Thanks for the FileHippo link, I will have a look at it :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

I like having driver update software that I can run at will. I do not let them run automatically at start up though. Years ago I used "Oil Change." I had good results with it. A few years ago I tried "Version Tracker Pro." That was an awful experience. I stumbled across SI last year and have used it on and off. I think that they have a decent product. I have been impressed with their continued work during this time to make it better. I was surprised to see added to ASC but think that it would be a worthy addition to the tools menu. I just do not think that it needs to run continually. Once per month should be fine for the type of drivers it finds updates for.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived