IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Unable to install SmartDefrag version 1.20 [SOLVED]

Hi,

Can anyone help me?

Am running Vista 32 bit home premium and have been using previous versions of smart defrag for quite some time witn no issues whatsoever.

Attempted to install version 1.20 over 1.11 but the installation fails due to ;

Internal error: Failed to expand shell folder constant "userappdata"

Have done all the usual checks - antivirus/spyware and manually cleaned out old installation and tried clean install but same error.

Any ideas - should I check the registry - if so where?

Anyone else come across this problem?

Great software to date - pity if I have to use something else.

Many thanks.

The best uninstalls, I've found, are accomplished with REVO uninstaller. Cleans out associated registry files, and always creates a restore point for you, just in case. Even after using Revo uninstaller, I still do a search to delete left behind folders, files, prefetch files etc. Perhaps run Iobit ASC and/or a trusted Registry cleaner to insure complete uninstall. You should not have problems doing a clean install after that

Hi guys,

Thanx for the speedy replies - still no luck tho - interesting tho I cannot install ASC either for the same reason.

Wonder is this a hardware/software problem specific to my machine and what I am running?

Never used RevoUninstall before its a good program but even it leaves traces behind.

Does anyone know exactly what the folder AppData is because this is what seems to be causing the problem.

Thanks again.

Hi veedubdubh

Let's be clear about this.

You say you have uninstalled both programs?

Does the folders refuse to be deleted?

Did you close down the programs and the automatic functions in the programs prior to the uninstall commands?

Please read the thread Usage of IObit Products in the Lounge section of the forum.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi guys,

Thanx for the speedy replies - still no luck tho - interesting tho I cannot install ASC either for the same reason.

Wonder is this a hardware/software problem specific to my machine and what I am running?

Never used RevoUninstall before its a good program but even it leaves traces behind.

Does anyone know exactly what the folder AppData is because this is what seems to be causing the problem.

Thanks again.

Hi veedubdubh,

Try solbjerg's suggestions first.

I suspect you have a permission problem, try to run the setup exes after unblocking and Running as Administrator.

If possible, be the owner of that folder (AppData) in security tab of properties of the folder.

AppData is at the following location:

C:\Users\{User Name}\AppData\Roaming\IObit

All the .ini files of IObit applications are kept there.

You must show the hidden files in your folder options to see that folder.

Cheers.

Ok now lets see where I am at...

I now have ASC installed but installation threw up alerts similar to the unable to open appdata error.

Still not able to install SD tho.

Seems that yes I have some form of permission problem as I was only able to install ASC with the Run as Administrator command.

I am not sure what is meant by "unblocking" though - can someone explain to me please.

Further information I have implemented Vista SP2 about one day before trying to update SD.

Many thanks for all the help - its much appreciated.

When you download a file such as Setup.exe, when you open the properties of it, you will see that there is a button at the bottom with "Unblock" on it.

Click that button and that file will be trusted by the OS. Then Run As Administrator.

At which level you are using UAC?

Try turning off UAC of Vista when installing.

Cheers.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Unfortunately I am still unable to install SD.

Is there an Iobit software removal tool available?

I know that some companies such as McAfee and Norton have specific removal tools to enable absolute 100% removal of software as I think that this might be the only way I can manage a new install.

Seems that for whatever reason Vista will not grant access to the AppData folder to allow installation - maybe you know a workaround for this?

Only other thing I can think of would be to check each and every registry entry.

Thanx again.

As far as know there is no such IObit tool.

The uninstaller tools are embedded in the setup files of the new versions.

Why don't you try Revo Uninstaller as mentioned in above posts?

Can you open AppData folder with Explorer?

Cheers.

Download the Setup file for IObit SmartDefrag

When you want to install, it will ask you to Uninstall. That is the uninstaller

Once uninstalled. Go to Program File's "IObit" folder and manually delete "IObit SmartDefrag" folder (If you can't, Restart your computer then delete the folder).

Now that folder shouldn't exist. Go ahead and install SmartDefrag again. It will not ask you to uninstall since you already did. It should work.

PS: Also run the setup file As Administrator too~

Hi again,

Once again thanks for all the helpful advive.

Have pretty much tried all suggestions on here now to no avail.

I don't think this is an iobit problem really its a windows problem. I think there was a similar problem in XP.

Would anyone have links to good windows forums where the information can be trusted?

Thank-you.

Hi veedubdubh

How are your security settings and firewall settings?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi again,

Once again thanks for all the helpful advive.

Have pretty much tried all suggestions on here now to no avail.

I don't think this is an iobit problem really its a windows problem. I think there was a similar problem in XP.

Would anyone have links to good windows forums where the information can be trusted?

Thank-you.

Ok cool,

Good link - have checked a lot of these variables already - registry seems ok on my pc tho.

When there is a blue shaded-in box a files properties next to "Read-only" what does it signify?

Will keep at this a while longer but do not want to de-stabilise an otherwise good machine.

Perhaps its a malware problem - have McAfee running all the time and regularly use AdAware and Spybot - should I try soething else also?

Its a head scratcher... :-?

A)

Ownership in Vista:

http://www.vistarevisited.com/2008/01/09/how-to-take-ownership-of-a-file-or-folder-in-vista/

B)

Properties of Folders in Vista:

1. Default: blue, no checkmark.

2. Click once: grey-white and no checkmark.

3. Click again: grey-white and checkmark.

In Vista, folders cannot be set as Read-only. Only files can be.

By default the box will be filled in with blue.

Any changes to this box will only affect the files inside the folder, then default back to the blue box.

The following article may help you for this subject.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/107890-read-only-file-folder-attribute.html

Cheers.

Thanx again eno,

Excellent links - I am very grateful - no success yet - thinking now have some form of malware preventing access to user appdata for downloaded programs.

Windows defender, Spybot have no results.

Tried to update adaware before scanning with it and got same internal error message that I got when trying to install SD.

Will run thorough scan with Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and see if I get anything.

Maybe need a rootkit remover too? Any suggestions?

You might need to put a second crown under your user name!:-o

HIP HIP HOORAH!!:razz:

Problem solved - all thanks must go to enoskype - the link that you gave me to bleepingcomputer.com was spot on.

Simple registry change has resolved all problems.

Have not to date been able to find the culprit that caused the bad registry change yet though.

There is still a strange loooking reg entry in the user shell folder in the registry.

It seems that the bad entry caused the computer to be pointed in the wrong direction for software installations thus giving the internal error.

So you really do learn something new every day!

Thanks again to all who helped with this.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem

cannot uninstall 1.20 I reinstalled in another folder and that freezes,I cannot uninstall using revo or vista programs.

Spoilt a good io bit record for me.

Why can't io bit release a uninstall tool for what is clearly a common problem ?

Hi kfp,

Make sure that nothing is running in Task Manager concerning Smart Defrag when you uninstall. Do it with administrative rights.

When there were residues in the PC, it is not a good idea to install the same software to a different folder. After trying to uninstall, use a Registry cleaner, and unlocker to get rid of all the files relevant to SD.

IS 360 and ASC have those utilities.

Cheers.

Archived