IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Restarting Vista & Defrag doesn't Start ?

Every time I have to re-start the computer, Defrag does not start up. I have to manually start it up. I have uninstalled & re-installed 3 times now and it still does not start up. I have Vista sp2, webroot security. After a reboot the Icon in the systray disappears also. Otherwise the program works great.

I have the same problem....however when I first installed Smart Defrag it started up whenever I rebooted my computer. Don't have a clue as to why it isn't now? I have it ticked under options to start when windows starts. I wish I could figure out how to have it autostart once more?

• 3 weeks later...
You might try going into Vista Services via the Control Panel and see if there is a service associated with Smart Defrag and if so change its status to Start Automatically.

~Maxx~

I'm using win7 RC. Is there a way to get smart defrag to run as a service as it is not listed in the services list?

Also the icon does not show in task bar even when smart defrag is opened.

Every time I have to re-start the computer, Defrag does not start up. I have to manually start it up. I have uninstalled & re-installed 3 times now and it still does not start up. I have Vista sp2, webroot security. After a reboot the Icon in the systray disappears also. Otherwise the program works great.

I have resolved the problem in win7 RC of icon not showing. By the following method.

1. Set both smartdefrag.exe and SDinit.exe to 'run as administrator' in the Iobit/smartdefrag folder.

2. Checked and set permissions in security tab of properties to allow on all boxes for administrator and system, on both files properties in smartdefrag folder

This seems to have resolved issue and now smart defrag starts with windows and shows icon in task bar.

Maybe the same changes would work for those running Vista with same problems.

I used to run Smart Defrag on my Vista computer and it would start with no problems at all, but wen I shut the computer down Smart Defrag would hang and it would take several minutes to log off and shut down instead of the normal 20 seconds.

As a result I decided to run Smart Defrag on demand and it does a great job of defragging and optimizing my 1.5 TB Seagate drive which currently has just over 200 GB stored on it in an average of 8 seconds at the end of each day.

~Maxx~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Smart Defrag won't start with Windows

I'm not sure why you would want it to start with windows. It's just one more thing that has to load when you start your computer. It doesn't take up much memory, but its trying to load along with your antivirus and everything else when you start up. If you run the Deep Optimize, you don't need to defrag for quite a while.

Did you check with taskmanager if the iobit smartdefrag task is running in the background after a reboot ?

If yes, then please check my thread d.d. 10 sept. called "smartdefrag tray icon fix" to resolve the issue of the tray icon.

If IObit task is not visible in taskmanager (mark the "show processes of all users" in taskmanager) after a reboot then I don't know the answer....for now.

please tell me first if the task is running or not 8:)

thanks in advance

Michel

Archived