IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smartdefrag beta 3 keeps on causing problems

Hi,

Sorry but I am back to square one.

Smartdefrag keeps on causing problems. Win 2000 Pro SP4 or XP SP2 makes no difference.

Right after the start of the computer I keep getting(again) an error message.

If I choose to restart the application other problems will pop up later.

Try uninstalling Smart Defrag, run Scandisc with "thorough" and "repair problems" ticked, and then reinstall Smart Defrag. I have been running Smart Defrag and AWC for ages with no problems on XP Professional SP2. so I suggest that the problem is with your computer not with Smart Defrag. All the best. Gray

Thanks for the idea:)...but that the first thing I do when problems pop up. (I am from a security sub-forum among other things.)

And there is nothing wrong. Except maybe the wrong software.

Are we here to improve Smartdefrag or do we have all to say that the software is perfect...?It's perfect and that's why it's called a beta?

Come on be serious...do you know the meaning of the word "beta"?

Hi,

Sorry but I am back to square one.

Smartdefrag keeps on causing problems. Win 2000 Pro SP4 or XP SP2 makes no difference.

Right after the start of the computer I keep getting(again) an error message.

If I choose to restart the application other problems will pop up later.

Have you tried to reinstall the software i usaually reinstall software that i have problems with and that solves the problem

Hi wizard2000,

Yes, I have tried. It helps for a couple of days. Then I get those error messages again and the same question about sending in a bug report. If it helps I can send a bug report in every time I run into trouble. I am still waiting for the feedback from my last report.

Now I decided to restart the application every time after the error message.

Advanced Windows Care runs smoothly on the same computer.

Hi samr,

I am running on an Administrator account.

"vman wrote:

try cleaning out your registries. maybe its so cluttered up your registries are getting mixed up. clean them out using awc or anythign else you have."

I do it every day so it's not a Registry problem. Version 2.1 worked fine. I think this version has a problem because of another program.

Do you want me to send you more bug reports?

Bug reports

I too keep on getting bug reports, submit them and get no response. I have stopped sending them. These bugs keep coming up under all sorts of circumstances. I have re-downloaded and re-installed the software. Doesn't help. I am also under the impression that the software interferes with other programs.

I like SmartDefrag but I have removed it from the start up list. I only start the program now, just out of curiosity when I have finished all my work. I also try differtent settings. I suspect the screensaver mode.

Tony

Tony Holzhaus wrote:

I too keep on getting bug reports, submit them and get no response. I have stopped sending them. These bugs keep coming up under all sorts of circumstances. I have re-downloaded and re-installed the software. Doesn't help. I am also under the impression that the software interferes with other programs.

I like SmartDefrag but I have removed it from the start up list. I only start the program now, just out of curiosity when I have finished all my work. I also try differtent settings. I suspect the screensaver mode.

= I hope somebody is going to look into the matter or at least tell us whether those bug reports were of any help.

You are just describing my problems...

I am going to have a look at the screensaver mode...

A first follow-up:

1. With the screensaver mode off the program seems to be back to normal.

Well, after more than 45 min everything is OK. Before I could not run the program 5 min....

Tony Holzhaus, I think you suspected right:)...

More follow-ups tomorrow....less than an hour or an hour is not enough.

bugs

Tony

I had a spam attack with malware that almost brought my computer down. f Secure caught it and quarantined it. I planned to turn it in to f secure but made the mistake of running smart defrag first. sd reported the quarantined file. When I continued, the quarantined file was no longer available in f secure quarantine and major runtime errors began to appear. The worst part of this issue was that I had only one restore point available and it was not there before running sd.

y

I had a spam attack with malware that almost brought my computer down. f Secure caught it and quarantined it. I planned to turn it in to f secure but made the mistake of running smart defrag first. sd reported the quarantined file. When I continued, the quarantined file was no longer available in f secure quarantine and major runtime errors began to appear. The worst part of this issue was that I had only one restore point available and it was not there before running sd.

y

Could you be more precise. I see a first problem: that's your malware...if it's an infection and it's an unidentified infection, anything can happen. It would be nice to know what malware. I am asking you all that because I am from a security sub-forum where we deal with infections of any kind. It's impossible to help you out of trouble if there is no additional information.

lost but not forgotten

Could you be more precise. I see a first problem: that's your malware...if it's an infection and it's an unidentified infection, anything can happen. It would be nice to know what malware. I am asking you all that because I am from a security sub-forum where we deal with infections of any kind. It's impossible to help you out of trouble if there is no additional information.

Thank you for your interest. I wish that I could provide more detailed information on the malware but it was lost as I was preparing to send it to f Secure for the type of help you are suggesting. I recovered by restoring but I lost a lot of data. Thanks again

y

Smartdefrag beta 3 keeps on causing problems

Hi:

Four things worth considering:

1) You might want to check all your Services configurations. In WinXP SP2, go 2 > Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Adminstrative Tools. Double click the Services icon. Maximize the subsequent window. Next, launch IE, Firefox, or Opera (latest versions w all updates.) Go 2 http://www.theeldergeek.com/alerter.htm

Starting with the Alerter Service configuration, shuttle back and forth between the browser pages and your resident Services program, making the recommended MS configurations (@ the site) in your WinXP Local Services Configuration Utility. Work your way completely through the site's list (which ends with "Workstation.") Any 3rd party software configs, are, of course, your call, but, naturally such critical progs as AV software, 3rd party firewalls, etc. should be set to "Automatic."

2) Double-check via Group and Local Policy editors that your "access program" permissions are correct.

3) Configure SmartDefrag (Beta 3) under Settings to *not* run at startup.

4) Use strictly Manual Scans.

HTH.

Let me know how you do.

:-D

orang_redux_777

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but what problem is it going to solve?

1. the defragging status : the difference between 4 and 69 %?

2. Problems created by the Screen Saver Mode?

I think the biggest problem was solved by disabling The Screen Saver Mode.

There is no point in going manual because "automatic" that's what makes it attractive and different from others. If I did what you suggest I don't know what's stopping me from choosing the Auslogics defrag?:)

Smart defrag

Hello

I was using the previous version of smart defrag and all was well but the last version is giving me problems on both my computers.

I have two computers with windows Xp SP2 and they have different software in them but I get exactly the same problem on both witch is this

When I close the computers I get an erreur saying that I do not have a disk in my disk reader ???and a windows open behind saying that smart defrag will try to close ???

I removed smart defrag on both, installed Diskeeper on both and I have no more problems...

I am sure that your last version comes in conflicts with various software if I analyse the troubles that people kindly report here.

Has for me I will maybe come back to smart defrag if it comes out in a non BETA version I am tired of sending info to you people and not getting feedback

Regards

Michel Poirier

it's a fact tha many of us are having problems with beta 3 official release.

I've also sent several bug files and hope Iobit really take those bug reports to improve smartdefrag.

As a beta software it's normal to give some problems, but what's strange is that beta 2.1 worked fine but beta 3 doesn't.

Hi ektorbarajas,

Yes- and those bug reports are very important. It may be easy to track down a problem if everyone has it. It gets harder when there are only some having the problem. Then they have to try to figure out what the ones with problems have in common that may cause it. The bug reports give them an idea where to look.

samr.

Archived