IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Several frustrations

1. I have a 56 bps dial up system. ADSL is still too expensive here and, for me, not justified. I felt that by cleaning out temporary files my system actually slowed down.. I prefer to keep temporary internet files for 30 days and set this up within Windows. Moreover after downloading web pages the temporary file clean up appeared to be deleting all links, within the downloaded pages, which was frustrating. The Temporary files section is now called ‘Junk Files’, (2.5.1.922) but I cannot find a definition in the Help section. What is regarded as a ‘Junk File’? I strongly suspect it is not the same as the previous ‘Temporary Files’.

2. Because of my perceived slow down after eliminating temporary files I stared looking for alternate programs to help speed up the system, I am aware of the myth that “Registry Cleaners Improve Performance”. I get bombarded with performance improvement claims by suppliers of Registry Cleaners. These invariably find ‘problems’ that AWC ‘has missed’. One is then required to pay before these ‘problems’ can be corrected. Is this all sales talk?. I still have Registry Mechanic for a few more months and it finds a few ‘problems’ after running AWC. I also have ‘Easy Cleaner’ and CCleaner, both at no charge. These too find some ‘problems’. Need I be concerned about this? Should I rely solely on AWC Pro as I am inclined to do?

3. Should I run AWC daily? Weekly? Monthly?

4. My AWC Pro (2.5.1.922) is set to run daily. It is set at ‘Scan and repair’, and I apparently cannot change this. This does not give me a chance to look at the problems or add to the ignore list? However if I scan manually I can scan and investigate. Does this mean I should not schedule a run but always scan manually? Or should I exclude the ‘Junk File Scan’ from the daily run.

5. The ‘Help’ file appears to be out of date. It doesn’t mention Junk files for instance

Tony

dial up is annoying. so cleaning out your registries will help a little bit. dont expect toooo much from them. but every little bit helps. why dont you get dsl its pretty cheap now i think. you should run awc once a week i'd say. i do it every day. you can disable the junk file cleaning thingy and keep all your temps.

Hi Tony,

I also run one computer on dial up and there are some things you might want to re-configure for it. Be sure to set network connection to "dial up". I also went to options-settings-general settings and unchecked the auto update feature so it is not trying to dial out. Just be sure to check for updates!

1. If you do not want AWC to manage your browser cache you might want to try this: Run a scan. Then under "privacy sweep" click "see details". Under your browser name uncheck "cookies". Some web pages will be slower to load in dial up if you don't have the cookies stored. However, you should delete occasionally or it will slow you down. Then click OK to return to scan page. Under "junk files" click "see details". Uncheck "Explorer cache". (Be sure to clean occasionaly). Click ok & return to scan page. AWC will not clean these now.

2. Not a good idea to run several registry cleaners. Occasioanlly run registry cleaner under tools-registry cleaner. I do run CCleaner and it works well w/AWC, but remember that it will also clear your cache.

3. I would let it run daily.

4. If you want auto care to scan but not clean until you look at it, go to options-settings-autocare and click on "scan and repair". A window will pop up and you can you can select "just scan". It will not repair until you do it yourself.

samr.

Archived