IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Buffering

garybear

I did a search but couldn't find any thing on buffering. Not always but some times when I try to watch a video clip, it keeps stopping and buffering every few seconds. The only way I know is to pause the clip until it gets done buffering. I have DSl and 100.MBPS speed. I was wondering if there is another answer to this problem. I have 512 Mb of ram. When I googled this, the only answer was to pause and wait until buffering was complete. That works but thought might be another answer[garybear]

Hi garybear,

You definetly need more RAM in any case. With today's programs, in XP, 1GB is the recommended minimum.

What was your CPU speed gary?

Change the settings of whichever program you are viewing the video with to a lower speed or detail level.(ie. performance, connection speed in the player to much, much less than 100Mbps.)

Also do the following:

Windows Media Player 7 or above

1. Open the Windows Media Player.
  2. From the Tools menu, select "Options."
  3. Select "Performance."
  4. Under Network Buffering, select "Buffer."
  5. Adjust buffering to "30 seconds of data."
  6. Click "OK."
  7. Close and reopen your web browser.

Real Player

1. Open the Real Player.
  2. On the menu bar, select "Tools" and then scroll down to "Preferences."
  3. In the Preferences window, select the + icon next to Connection.
  4. Select the "Playback Settings" option.
  5. Locate "Buffered Play" under Playback Settings.
  6. Adjust buffering to "30 seconds of the clip before playing."
  7. Click "OK."
  8. Close and reopen your web browser.

Cheers.

Hi garybear,

You definetly need more RAM in any case. With today's programs, in XP, 1GB is the recommended minimum.

What was your CPU speed gary?

Change the settings of whichever program you are viewing the video with to a lower speed or detail level.(ie. performance, connection speed in the player to much, much less than 100Mbps.)

Also do the following:

Windows Media Player 7 or above

1. Open the Windows Media Player.
  2. From the Tools menu, select "Options."
  3. Select "Performance."
  4. Under Network Buffering, select "Buffer."
  5. Adjust buffering to "30 seconds of data."
  6. Click "OK."
  7. Close and reopen your web browser.

Real Player

1. Open the Real Player.
  2. On the menu bar, select "Tools" and then scroll down to "Preferences."
  3. In the Preferences window, select the + icon next to Connection.
  4. Select the "Playback Settings" option.
  5. Locate "Buffered Play" under Playback Settings.
  6. Adjust buffering to "30 seconds of the clip before playing."
  7. Click "OK."
  8. Close and reopen your web browser.

Cheers.

Where do I find cpu speed??

during download of the free dap it offers free speedbit as an extra.

i have used dap for ages an excellent download manager, speeds up downloads well too.

I tried this and didn't know what I was doing and I messed up my browser. Went to restore to earlier time to get things back where I was. I down loaded dap and speedbit but didn't know how to use them. Thanks sunny.

Hi garybear,

Right click "My Computer" icon and under "General" tab, at the bottom, it is written something like:

processor xx00MHz

x.x0GHz 512 MB of RAM

"xx00MHz" is what we are looking for!!! :-)

For your attachment, change "detect connection speed" to DSL, T1, or LAN,try each one starting from the smaller connection speed figure to higher, finding out which one gives you better result.

Cheers.

Hi garybear,

Right click "My Computer" icon and under "General" tab, at the bottom, it is written something like:

processor xx00MHz

x.x0GHz 512 MB of RAM

For your attachment, change "detect connection speed" to DSL, T1, or LAN,try each one starting from the smaller connection speed figure to higher, finding out which one gives you better result.

Cheers.

here you go enoskype

hi garybear

if it is not a mistake your download speed ADSL 100 Mbps is one of the highest available but your RAM is very small and i suppose your CPU clock-speed.

I have dual-core CPU 1.7 Mhz and 2Gb RAM and ADSL 1000 Kbps and i encounter some problems but not very serious.

The download speed depends on many factors- speed of server, traffic, distance.....

The solution u wrote (pause) is wise but undesirable.

Any solution u take i think will not be drastic if the problem is cpu and ram

cheers

gary

I would have to agree you are seriously low on RAM with it being so cheap at the moment bosh the 512 stick and get two 1g sticks of RAM make sure they are compatible with M/B first.

you also have a celeron CPU that is not a good start for performance either.

or

In the US can you buy "barebones bundles" like here in GB its a motherboard/RAM/CPU and all you do is put it in your existing case with you hard drives and optical drives and sound/graphics cards and you have a very inexpensive upgrade. you will need a clean install of windows and software then use your backup to throw in all your personal files etc.

gary

as for DAP set a file to save all your downloads to i use "my downloads". and download a small download [can delete it afterwards] to test how it works.

and like any other bit of gear have a nose around it to choose want you will use, i use mostly default setting so very little to set up.

I have all my software downloads saved in case of reinstall req'd saves downloading again and quicker and very handy if setting up from a clean install or loading up a new pc.

as new versions of any software download come up I delete the older saved one once I establish no bugs in the new one.

a new area for you to venture gary.

Thanks every one,demitris,enoskype,sunny.wozofoz for your posts and advice. I have been thinking about more Ram. I just haven't made the decision to do that yet. Sunny, your are way past my ability at this moment in time. I tried you DAP and it changed the way my browser worked and I didn't like the change, so uninstalled the program. I may try it again in the future. Dap and SpeedBit had a ton of files to uninstall and a bunch in my registry. I thought regedit was never going to stop finding them. I really don't watch many clips and never movies so will decide what to do about buffering latter. The pause is working for me at the moment. I was hoping for an easier solution. I really appreciate all the posts. Live well my friends.

??????????????????

I have to confess about this buffering thing. My wife is the one griping. Screen prints of what she watches are attached. She says some times they don't stop and some times they do. It looks like they are buffering to me. I confess I don't have a clue. Is adobe involved in this? When I right click I get the little balloon about adobe. I'm sorry people,this isn't my strong suit. I hope I'm not being to stupid and asking dumb things. Thanks! Ps If I ever figure this out I'll be a hero for a while.(LOL)

Hi garybear,

processor xx00MHz

x.x0GHz 512 MB of RAM

Cheers.

This is where I'm at now!!

gary

if you have run the memory checker on crucial it has come up with dell 3000 and thats you pc then that should be correct

you can double check go into ASC - SYSTEM INFORMATION - MEMORY and check the memory you have is the same speed and type as the suggestion from crucial.

on you post with the screen shots, a bit lost at the problem, but if its flash related go to adobe.com run the flashplayer uninstall tool and download the latest version.

Archived