IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

IObit 360 Virtual Memory

garybear

I'm not very smart. I keep getting a warning my virtual memory is low. This morning my PC was locked and a warning virtual memory too low greeted me. I had to power off and back up before I could do any thing. My wife was a mad hatter. She had woke up before I did and couldn't use PC. She greeted me with that damn computer is all screwed up. After I got back up and running again, I Googled virtual memory and followed some instructions and came up with this. IObit 360 is using to damn much VM in my opinion. I know I need more RAM and I'm in the process of getting it but should 360 be using this much VM . I have also heard you now want to charge for the program. You can take this to the bank my friend, I am one of your first and most loyal subscribers, but I'm not sure that will hold true much longer. I'm very upset with you at this moment. After reading to days post, I think there are many of us. I think you have lied to us and that's not right. I will stop now before I get real angry.Live well my friends.{garybear}

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gary

iobit 360 is using memory like all programs and only having 512 means there is not enough to go round.

I would use the smart ram option in ASC to free up some memory and increase your paging file but this will cause a bit of thrasing of the hard drive

see

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?threadID=152486

[still not heard the results of my biopsy no news is good news]

Gary

If my math is correct,that's only @ 30mb of actual memory for all three processes, which isn't really too heavy as security apps. go. 70mb of VM does seem high in comparison What is your page file set to? I do agree with the flip flop on the promise of a free utility.It was well intentioned,I'm sure,but many people remember that promise and this doesn't sit very well.

If my math is correct,that's only @ 30mb of actual memory for all three processes, which isn't really too heavy as security apps. go. 70mb of VM does seem high in comparison What is your page file set to? I do agree with the flip flop on the promise of a free utility.It was well intentioned,I'm sure,but many people remember that promise and this doesn't sit very well.

It was min. I jacked up to 1200. Will see if that helps. Thanks detailer. I was just up set this morning and fired up. I probably am wrong just like always, but I don't remember getting this warning before IObit 360 and it never locked up my PC like it did this morning. I remember the promise of 360 would always be free. Don't make promises you don't intend to keep.

Hi sunny

iobit 360 is using memory like all programs and only having 512 means there is not enough to go round.

I would use the smart ram option in ASC to free up some memory and increase your paging file but this will cause a bit of thrasing of the hard drive

see

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?threadID=152486

[still not heard the results of my biopsy no news is good news]

Hi sunny .I have ASC set to free up RAM automatic. I increased paging file. Will see what that does. What does thrashing mean? I hope for the best on biopsy my friend.

Yeah

Sure isn't low there-2015 out of 2047 is well over 95% free. Try to click on Go and then Deep Clean-after the window reports xxmb freed,mouse over the tray icon to see the % of memory free.I forgot-do you have XP or Vista? If XP,download Page Defrag and use it since you just changed your file size.

Sure isn't low there-2015 out of 2047 is well over 95% free. Try to click on Go and then Deep Clean-after the window reports xxmb freed,mouse over the tray icon to see the % of memory free.I forgot-do you have XP or Vista? If XP,download Page Defrag and use it since you just changed your file size.

I'm lost. What do you mean I just changed my file size? What is page Defrag and why do I need it?

Gary

I said page defrag because you said you increased your page file size.It works with XP,and defrags your page file when you reboot so when your system looks to the page file(virtual memory) it's defraged, just like defragging your hard drive.Thrashing means your PC will constantly be looking to the hard drive for information it would normally get from memory,either Ram or virtual(the page file).It's called that because you can hear the hard drive running(in most cases)From what I see,I don't know why you get the low VM warning.

I said page defrag because you said you increased your page file size.It works with XP,and defrags your page file when you reboot so when your system looks to the page file(virtual memory) it's defraged, just like defragging your hard drive.Thrashing means your PC will constantly be looking to the hard drive for information it would normally get from memory,either Ram or virtual(the page file).It's called that because you can hear the hard drive running(in most cases)From what I see,I don't know why you get the low VM warning.

You know that I always do what ever you tell me to do my friend. So now I have another program on my desk top. I used it but the blue screen blinked so fast I don't know what it said. Does it create a log some where??Thank you and live well my friend.

Control Panel>Administration Tools>Event Viewer

if you cant find it you can turn off auto reboot by going to

System Properties->Advanced tab->Startup and Recovery Settings->uncheck "automatically restart"

hope this helps gary. remember me dont ya?

Sure I remember you IFP. Your not a guy(LOL). Just one smart dude. Do you remember that?? AM I looking for a log in Event Viewer? I don't know how to find System Properties. I found system properties. Why do I want to uncheck automatically restart?

to check for memory leakage

check available memory open a program use it briefly then close it and check if the memory returns to the level it was before.

like a bank account when a program opens it borrows money [memory] then returns it when it closes. but if it leaks the memory is not fully returned leaving some of it hang in no mans land with the system showing it still in use and not available for use by other programs if too many programs do this it soon plays havoc.

Hi ICF

you do get the BSOD, no? by turning off auto restart it stops it from auto restarting after getting the BSOD

Stay with me little buddy.I'm learning some thing new. I'm old and it takes awhile for it to sink in this old brain. Yes I get BSOD. If I turn off auto restart, and it stops my Pc from restarting after getting BSOD, what happens then? I have never turned this feature off. How does my Pc start back up? I'm a little afraid to turn this feature off if it won't start back up. Thanks for your help.

Hi sunny

to check for memory leakage

check available memory open a program use it briefly then close it and check if the memory returns to the level it was before.

like a bank account when a program opens it borrows money [memory] then returns it when it closes. but if it leaks the memory is not fully returned leaving some of it hang in no mans land with the system showing it still in use and not available for use by other programs if too many programs do this it soon plays havoc.

Now that is a great explanation my friend, one that even I can understand. I found no leakage. I did find this. When I sat down at my PC this morning, my RAM showed that it was very low in my system tray. I clicked on task manager and found System (Image Name) was using 70,000K of memory. I waited a few minutes to see if it would change. It only changed after I clicked on the forum. It then showed green and said 45% RAM free. Some thing released RAM. I checked task manager again and it showed 100k on System(Image Name) I don't have a clue my friend. Screen prints attached. Thanks sunny.

gary

this may be another venture for you but have you run "memtest 86" you download it from

http://www.memtest86.com/

unzip it to a floppy disk, place the floppy in the floppy drive and reboot the pc which will boot straight into the memtest86 screen will give the best complete test of memory i know.

once it has reached 100% it will run the test again so you can hit esc and stop it. Now if the test grinds to a halt and sticks note the test number and details as this will mean duff memory.

if you do not have a floppy download the ISO image and use nero to burn to a cd then test as the same as i described for the floppy.

have a read of the info on the link.

if this is all common knowledge to hopefully some other readers may find it useful [i always test all new ram with it, bought duff ram before]

Gary

When you ran the Page Defrag (at start-up),if the blue screen was a quick blink,that means there was little or no defrag needed.This is not BSOD If there is more "work to be done",the screen will stay up longer and you will see the(I thinks it's 7 areas) listed and number of fragments before/after shown.I run mine @ every two weeks-depends on how much you use your PC -same as regular hard drive defrag.

Hi sunny

this may be another venture for you but have you run "memtest 86" you download it from

http://www.memtest86.com/

unzip it to a floppy disk, place the floppy in the floppy drive and reboot the pc which will boot straight into the memtest86 screen will give the best complete test of memory i know.

once it has reached 100% it will run the test again so you can hit esc and stop it. Now if the test grinds to a halt and sticks note the test number and details as this will mean duff memory.

if you do not have a floppy download the ISO image and use nero to burn to a cd then test as the same as i described for the floppy.

have a read of the info on the link.

if this is all common knowledge to hopefully some other readers may find it useful [i always test all new ram with it, bought duff ram before]

Sorry for late reply sunny. I had to go out of town this week end. I burned a cd of Memtest- 86v3.5 and ran it. It said test completed and no errors were found. Started to run again and I hit esc Did I do good?? Thank you my friend. Live well. Will answer your PM now.

Hi detailer

When you ran the Page Defrag (at start-up),if the blue screen was a quick blink,that means there was little or no defrag needed.This is not BSOD If there is more "work to be done",the screen will stay up longer and you will see the(I thinks it's 7 areas) listed and number of fragments before/after shown.I run mine @ every two weeks-depends on how much you use your PC -same as regular hard drive defrag.

Sorry for late post. Thank you for your post. Live well my friend.

Archived