IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

System Virtual memory and S360

DonnyD

I have the latest of S360 installed and when I ran a full system scan it consumed 7G of virtual memory and never released it even after the scan. I had to re-boot and everything was fine after that. So far I like S360 given the problem I encountered. The only thing I dislike is the fact that you have to manually check for updates. Every free version of security software out there does an automatic update. I hope IoBit considers this when they finalize the free version.

Hi DonnyD,

Thank you for your feedback

would you please be more specific?

I mean, what O.S do you use? What kind of processor, RAM and HDD size do you have?

Another thing: the most of free antispyware haven't automatic updates, look at SUPERAntiSpyware free or MalwareBytes' AntiMalware, for instance, if you want to get real time module and auto update feature you have to pay.

Cheers

Hi DonnyD,

I mean, what O.S do you use? What kind of processor, RAM and HDD size do you have?

Cheers

Windows XP Media Center SP3, Intel Pentium D proc, 2G RAM, 250G HD...

Hi DonnyD,

Another thing: the most of free antispyware haven't automatic updates, look at SUPERAntiSpyware free or MalwareBytes' AntiMalware, for instance, if you want to get real time module and auto update feature you have to pay.

Cheers

Hi leofelix,

Forgot to mention in the last post but Spyware Terminator is free and has real time monitoring including hips and auto update. I'm running it on my windows 2K laptop and love it. Just for Ha Ha's give it a run and let me know what you think of it.

Hi

Thank you.

In regards to your hardware configuration and your OS, I think you should run a defrag and a scandisk, disable unnecessary windows service and unnecessary startup entries, it wouldn't be a bad idea to add more RAM.

An useful answer can be found here

http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=23124&postcount=27

You might also have a look at the entire thread here

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=3766&highlight=Virtual+Memory

I Hope it helps

However, I suppose some IOBit administrators and analysts will give you a more accurate response soon.

-----

And yes I know SpywareTerminator: it was listed as suspect/rogue because it was bundled with adware

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

it was delisted, but now comes with another toolbar (Crawler ToolBar, which is was also listed as adware) which is unnecessary and slown down your browser, but you can deactivate it (not uninstall, only deactivate)

I tested SpywareTerminator: its HIPS stops the good stuff too, has a very low detection rate, it brings to false positives and couldn't catch some very dangerous Rogue/Scareware.

It can also install optionally ClamAV Antivirus which has a very poor detection rate and full scanning take too long.

(Just for Ha Ha's, correct:-))

Sorry for my english

Cheers

Have you tried installing smart Ram from iobit it can realse Ram when no one is using the computer and you can also tell it to realease ram in two ways deep or smart and if it is in the bar at the bottom then it tells you how much ram is less

Hi

Thank you.

In regards to your hardware configuration and your OS, I think you should run a defrag and a scandisk, disable unnecessary windows service and unnecessary startup entries, it wouldn't be a bad idea to add more RAM.

2G RAM is plenty for Windows XP Media Center SP3

It is running about 23MB virtual memory for all of its aplications on my XP Home system.

Have you tried installing smart Ram from iobit it can realse Ram when no one is using the computer and you can also tell it to realease ram in two ways deep or smart and if it is in the bar at the bottom then it tells you how much ram is less

I have smart ram running on my pc for a while now. Before that I was running cachemanxp. And that's besides the point there's still a problem with S360 eating memory...

Spyware Terminator not impressed at with it, blocks updates to your antivirus programs and as mentioned poor detection.

SAS & MBAM are the better ones.

Yes, SAS & MBAM are good but no real time monitoring with the free version. If ST is configured correctly you won't have that problem blocking your anti virus. I'm running it with Avira personal and have no problems with Avira updating.

Check it out on youtube:

Hi

Thank you.

An useful answer can be found here

http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=23124&postcount=27

You might also have a look at the entire thread here

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=3766&highlight=Virtual+Memory

I Hope it helps

However, I suppose some IOBit administrators and analysts will give you a more accurate response soon.

-----

And yes I know SpywareTerminator: it was listed as suspect/rogue because it was bundled with adware

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

it was delisted, but now comes with another toolbar (Crawler ToolBar, which is was also listed as adware) which is unnecessary and slown down your browser, but you can deactivate it (not uninstall, only deactivate)

I tested SpywareTerminator: its HIPS stops the good stuff too, has a very low detection rate, it brings to false positives and couldn't catch some very dangerous Rogue/Scareware.

It can also install optionally ClamAV Antivirus which has a very poor detection rate and full scanning take too long.

(Just for Ha Ha's, correct:-))

Sorry for my english

Cheers

I don't understand what all that has to do with S360 eating up real and virtual memory and not releasing it.

I do run a disk defrag regularly. I also clean my registry and defrag it. As far as my services and startup goes I only startup what I think is necessary. 6 apps in my startup 2 of which are CIS V3.11 and S360 RC. And 2G of memory is more than sufficient.

Moving on to ST, here's a video link you might want to take a look at.

P.S. Crawler tool bar can be un-installed through your control panel Add and Remove programs..

maybe a little off-topic but I was wondering, when I'm using Intel Pentium 4 (2.60GHZ) 768MB Ram, OS=MS XP SP3...

with the running programs: Online Armor, Spyware Terminator, Avast Antivirus, IS 360 RC and ASC Free.. is it logic that my system gives an 'virtual memory shortage' caution?

thanks in advantage!

Yes Memphius, it is possible. Even 768 MB of RAM (of course the page file goes together with it) is not sufficient for todays recent programs, especially the security programs. And you have quite a lot running all together with other usual and personal processes.

Recently I had to move my hard disk to a nearly identical laptop (100MHz less CPU), but with 768 MB of RAM, instead of 1 GB, you wouldn't believe the negative difference.

Now it stalls and freezees.

Cheers.

maybe a little off-topic but I was wondering, when I'm using Intel Pentium 4 (2.60GHZ) 768MB Ram, OS=MS XP SP3...

with the running programs: Online Armor, Spyware Terminator, Avast Antivirus, IS 360 RC and ASC Free.. is it logic that my system gives an 'virtual memory shortage' caution?

thanks in advantage!

Hi Memphius,

Is OA, ST, Avast, IS360 and ASC all in your startup. If so, it is overkill. If your happy with OA for your firewall, ST for spyware/malware and HIPs which I do like and use on my windows 2K laptop and Avast for viruses that should be sufficent. The other two can be started manually if you decide to run them. ASC I use to cleanup junk and my registery. I'm using and testing IS360and like it so far but without auto update you will not find it in my startup.

Memphius- Enoskype is right about how important it is to run efficient security software especially with a computer that has <1G RAM. I used to run the PC Tools Antivirus program and it alone consumed over 200 MB of RAM which sent me searching for the most ecomomical security I could find that would also provide excellent protection. I realize that everyone has their personal favorites and many different programs offer excellent levels of protection, but when it comes to high levels of protection executed with an extrordinarily high level of efficiency I have not found a better full featured security program than Comodo Internet Security v3.11 freeware which features the Comodo Firewall Pro, Proactive Defence+ with HIPS as well as their Antivirus (optional) with Buffer Overflow and Malware protection all of which runs for less than 65 MB of RAM and in my case hasn't let so much as a single tracking cookie through according to my 4 on demand scanners which include IObit 360, IObit ASC, MBAM and SAS.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/cmdagentProcessExplorer.png

~Maxx~

System Virtual memory and S360

Youre getting this because of two things:

1 The memory leak in FSX / FS9.

2 You have too many programs running in the background that are using VIRTUAL MEMORY, and not physical RAM.

A third possible cause is because you have a very low PAGING FILE set for your PC. It should be about 4000 MB 4 Gigs. This does not mean it should = your physical RAM. It should be about twice the amount of your physical RAM if you have LESS than 4 Gigs of physical RAM. So, if you have 2 Gigs installed, your PF should be about 4.5 Gigs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DonnyD,

Can you give us the new data of memory usage for IS 360 at the instance of real-time defence and also scan for the new versions of IS 360 v1.0 please.

FYI, there is a brand new one build especially for your Win2K.

You can find them in the News & Offer section.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

IS360 eating real memory

I have gone back to using IS360 the latest release and everything seamed to be O.K. Task Manager indicates the three IS360 tasks are consuming approx. 8M of real memory and 90M of VM. IOBit Smart Ram indicating my free real memory is Approx 1.5G. This is all after initial Boot up. The following day IOBit SR indicating approx. 1G of RM available. As far as TM goes, nothing has dramatically changed but there's 500M of real memory unaccounted for. I shutdown (EXIT) IS360 and the 500M is back, free RM at approx. 1.5G. I'm running Windows XP Media Center SP3. Is anyone having this issue? And can someone kindly test this out? This has been going on for a week now and every day I go through the same routine.

Free Ram

Hi DonnyD. I'm way above my pay grade on this issue.I try to get involved in issues that I know a little about. I have IObit360 pro running in my tray all the time. I'm not real sure I even know what your asking others to comment about. I recently doubled my ram on advice from those in the know. I have smart ram running in my tray and watch it on occasions. I'm 71 years old and only had a PC for 4 or 5 years. I am by no means an expert on any thing even though it says I am on this forum. I try to learn some thing new every day. I observed IObit 360 running and not running. I don't see that much difference. I have attached screen prints and hope I'm not being stupid. One print shows IObit running in tray and the other shows IObit not running in the tray. Free ram looks the same to me. Live well.{garybear}

Archived