IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Why Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Startup Slow on my PC?

M8trix

Every time I start up the program it takes like 3 minutes to load the interface. On top of that it also updates slow too and I have no idea why.

This started happening after their first bunch of releases, so I can't remember which version it started to slow down on. :???: All I know is that it was after they updated their title font style at the top of the programs interface (the anti-malware font was changed to italics) if anyone can remember the version number, if that makes a difference.

I think it might be their program itself and not my PC but i'm not sure. :neutral: This has been going on for several releases and not one of them has made it even a little bit faster. I've been putting up with it but it's become a discouragement and an aggravation to me and has made me use the program less often as a result. Has anyone else had this problem? It sure is a mystery to me. :???:

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with a Pentium 4 processor and 256mb of ram if that info helps.

Every time I start up the program it takes like 3 minutes to load the interface. On top of that it also updates slow too and I have no idea why.

1 perhaps if using other type programs of the same sort

2 you may need a good clean up as already stated

3 possible corruption already advised

4 may be infected (hence the italics} only a guess--

6 the program may be altered ? (as in updates) or has some missing or part files

as advised--clean ,and reinstall----

--(reinstall --use a uninstaller program} ,see if that may fix the problem -

check boot time if you think that's slowed the system--without the program ,than with it installed if there is a difference--or your drive is getting over filled

or needs more space--

usually 1/4 is prefer d empty on a heavy loaded system...but it is only my idea--if one is downloading a lot of big files --its soon fills a drive --

i have 3 -1 used just for the system only! 200-gig -the aters 500, for data only--

(for downloads --) this one just 1 drive i am on now -700 gig --any how -

so if this is of no use please post again with more DE-tales

itsmejjj

No I haven't experienced any problems before or after the font change version.Are you using the free or paid version? Have you deleted the logs(they pile up),or tried to uninstall/reinstall the program?

Hi detailer,

I have the free version, by logs I assume you mean the ones that are made after the scan, yes i've been deleting them, and no I haven't tried a reinstall yet since I didn't think that was the problem but I will try it now just in case.

I've been just letting the program install itself every time it prompts me too after an update.

Every other program on my PC is working fine and I have 30gb of space left so it's gotta be the program itself. I will try a reinstall now and see if that's the problem. Thank's for the suggestions :wink:

UPDATE: Well I did a clean uninstall/reinstall and the thing is still slow :evil:

You guys gotta help me figure this out :cry: Does anyone know if it requires the service 'IPSec Services' to run smoothly because I have it disabled right now.

Hi M8rix,

Did you note the RAM and CPU usage at the time of MBAM starting and/or updating, from Smart RAM?

I wonder, if you have enough RAM available out of total 256 MB.

Cheers.

Greetings enoskype,

I just tried what you said and it looks like I don't have enough even before I run MBAM. :sad:

When I ran the program with Smart RAM opened it was dropping all the way down to 4 and 0. :shock: Is there something I can do to fix this to get more RAM free without having to open my PC to expand my RAM? I've already stopped unnessisary services from running on my computer so I don't know what else to do.

M8trix- The XP OS that you run is by far much more resource efficient than any Win OS that has come after it. If you don't want to sacrifice programs that you already have running and still be able to have access to the internet without adding additional RAM then this is the memory usage ceiling that you will have to live with unless you can possibly find some more services to cut in Black Viper's Bare Bones XP x86 Services Configuration.

Although there is another way that you could free up a sizeable chunk of RAM and also save $100's while making your computer much more secure and that would be to remove Norton and replace it with a more efficient freeware computer security system which offers better protection. When faced with the same kind of situation I choose to take out Norton and install Comodo Internet Security freeware. CIS now runs on my computer for a much less RAM than NIS2009 did and now I have far superior protection that includes the legendary Comodo Firewall Pro, Comodo AV and Proactive Defense + HIPS. When I had Norton it let the destructive Vundo Virus onto my computer and by contrast I never see so much as even a tracking cookie get by Comodo's Layered Security!

~Maxx~

M8trix

You might consider increasing the size of your page file,but you really need more Ram.I can't imagine running XP with less than 1 gig of Ram.A general rule-the newer your PC the cheaper the Ram.Head over to Crucial ,download the scanner and explore your options.And yes,Norton is resource memory hogging junk that you need to dispose of.

You might consider increasing the size of your page file,but you really need more Ram.I can't imagine running XP with less than 1 gig of Ram.A general rule-the newer your PC the cheaper the Ram.Head over to Crucial ,download the scanner and explore your options.And yes,Norton is resource memory hogging junk that you need to dispose of.

If I were to increase my page file for now would it give me better performance and what would you suggest I should increase it to?

Yeah, I'm aware of Norton taking up my memory, I've been thinking about getting rid of it but I heard that when you uninstall it it still leaves components deep in your system. What's the best program that you would suggest for me to use to get it cleaned off my system completely? :mrgreen:

M8trix- Just a few short months ago I went one on one with the venerable Norton Internet Security Suite 2009 in what turned out to be a successful bid to remove it from my computer and the memories of the hard fought skirmishes of that battle are still fresh in my mind.

This is taken directly from the Softpedia download page for the Norton Removal Tool 2009.0.5.41...

Norton Removal Tool description

A program that can remove some Norton software from your computer

Norton Removal Tool was designed to be a program that can remove some Norton software from your computer.

Norton Removal Tool runs on Windows. Norton Removal Tool should be used only if you have tried to uninstall the Norton program using Windows Add/Remove Programs and that did not work.

Here are some key features of "Norton Removal Tool":

· Norton AntiSpam 2004/2005

· Norton AntiVirus 2003 through 2007.2

· Ghost 2003, Ghost Version 9.0 and 10.0

· Norton GoBack 3.1 through 4.2

· Norton Internet Security 2003 through 2007.2

· Norton Password Manager

· Norton Personal Firewall 2003 through 2006

· Norton SystemWorks 2003 through 2007

· Norton Confidential Online 2007

· Norton Internet Security Add-on Pack

· Norton Save and Restore 1.0

· Norton 360

I only know about this because I have personally done battle with removing Norton from my computer. Like it says you should first try to remove NIS with an uninstaller. I prefer to use the Revo Uninstaller that enoskype recommends so highly because it will find and remove the NIS remnants in the Registry. When I used Revo to uninstall NIS2009 it found 710 instances of NIS that the Windows Ininstaller missed and were left in the registry which Revo is capable of removing.

You may also have to next remove Norton Live if NIS 2008 was previously installed on your computer and when you start to remove it you will get a dire message that removing Norton Live could harm other programs on your computer. I know of people who removed Norton Live first and it did render their computer unbootable, but I removed Norton Live after Revo had taken NIS 2009 and all of its components out and there were no problems at all as a result.

Your understanding is right that NIS leaves artifacts deep within the computer because although I completely removed the functional presence of NIS along with all of its folders, files and Registry values from my computer the Windows Security Center still recognizes Norton's Firewall and Antivirus as currently active even though the program itself was completely removed long ago which is one of the reasons that I went ahead and disabled Security Center in Services.

~Maxx~

Thank's a bunch guys for all your helpful tips and program suggestions especially enoskype and Maxxwire, you guys rock. 8-)

I will highly consider removing Norton from my computer at some point but for now i'm going to do a little more research on how I should plan my attack against it just to be on the safe side. You can never be too careful when your computer's at risk right? :wink:

Just one more question for you Maxxwire. You said you had to disable Windows Security Center because it was still detecting Norton even though you completely removed it. Is this something that is going to happen to me when I remove it or did you just make a mistake when you were removing it and that's what caused the glitch? I have Norton Internet Security 2005 so I don't know if this glitch just happends in newer versions, any thought's :?:

M8trix- I honestly don't think that I made a mistake while removing Norton because the program buries itself so deep in the computer most likely in the form of kernel level drivers that Revo can't remove which is probably what gives the false positive in Security Center. I didn't have to disable Security the Center service I just didn't need it anymore after I had replaced the leaky Windows Firewall and Windows Defender and after I had removed Norton 2009 and the Norton Live Update component left over from Norton 2008 from the computer.

You are smart to get all the information that you can about removing Norton 2005 from your computer because it is very serious business indeed! Let us know what you find out.

~Maxx~

Archived