IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smartdefrag Beta 3.1

HI there, this new version has just being released and according to the readme file this is what's new:

Update History

Beta 3.1 (July 27, 2007)

+ Improved directory defrag algorithm

+ Improved AutoDefrag function

* Fixed report bugs in background

* Fixed general bugs

I also noticed that the screensaver mode has being remover.

and it seems to me that now the autodefrag is really working ! since now I can see frequently the icon animated on a machine that has a lot of fragmented files.

So far the app has not crashed :lol: and in my opinion, based on the fact that autodefrag now really works, the screensaver mode then goes useless.

I've updated my post for the following reason:

In one thread it was discussed to run SmartDefrag as a service, so that it's able to run prior to user login.

I think this feature will be really useful, since by doing that, smartdefrag will always run when the computer is on, even if no user has logged in.

Iobit Staff, I suggest that as a possible new feature addition.

Best regards.

P.S. I've installed Smartdefrag on another 2 computers and I'm amazing that now it really works the way it has to be!

On those computers, smartdefrag 3 was installed (and before that it was smartdefrag 2.1), and even smartdefrag 3 was running with the screensaver, after installing smartdefrag 3.1 and ran a Manual Analyze, Smartdefrag 3.1 reported many fragmented files !!! and while I was reading that I noticed smartdefgra was running in the background... then I decided to take a look at the autodefrag window and was very happy to see that when the CPU goes above 10% (the default setting), the autodefrag paused!, and as soon it goes below 10% it continued !.

After a while, I opened smartdefrag main windows, analyzed the drive of both computers and noticed that the fragmented files where gone.

Congratulations Iobit for such improvement!

Not much improvement

My findings are:

- No other driveletters detected than those on the primary partition.

- Wizard still not functional. Can't find whatever language even if they are in the proposed installation folder.

- AutoDefrag works for about 2 minutes after program start then becomes never active again.

So still the same bugs as before.

Hi there mrahk.

Well. so far autodefrag has not started yet, but I guess it's because my drive is not heavily fragmented (just 54 fragmented files instead of +1000)

I'll wait and see if autodefrag really keeps on working on the background.

But so far the application has not crashed on neither of the 3 computers.

Anyway, please keep on posting your findings and anyone else who has stared to use beta 3,1

About what you said not detecting other partitions, so far I can't tell since the computers just have drive letter C.

I will install it on my wife's laptop which has C and D partitions and Will comment.

Serious Bugs

In addition to the previous observations:

It seems that there are new bugs introduced in this release.

The status bars in the manual defragmentation screen seem to be updated simultaneously. This has been a bug before but resolved at a certain moment.

There's another serious bug.

In the attached screenshot you'll see a list of defragmented files (after a manual defragmentation).

The program thinks that these files have a size of zero bytes, which of course is wrong.

Auto Defrag defrags very well

As far as I can tell at the moment, the auto defrag feature is doing a pretty good job. Very few defragmented files are left over at the moment. Some very large files can't be defragmented so far.

Question:

I've the impression that Beta 3.1 has installed some pretty old language files. Mine are dated April 18th 2007. Can someone confirm this?

Question 2:

When using the CPU usage related defragmention setting, is ISD ignoring its own CPU usage, because ISD can cause high CPU usage for short moments.

If it doesn't ignore its own activity it would from time to time stop itself.

i have the same problem with autodefrag starting when the program is started, and then i don't see it doing much "in the background".

ISD is one of the RARE programs i am trying as a beta, because i have tremendous faith in the company, and have had nothing but good experiences with Adavnced Windows Care Personal.

philbee, I also have faith in the company.

I found Iobit SmartDefrag browsing for an efficient defragmenter, and decided to give a try to SmartDefrag, even knowing it was in beta.

So far I've not being disappointed, it's a fact that we as users have found several bugs but it's glad to see that iobit periodically releases a new version.

As you said, it seems that SmartDefrag autodefrags after being installed, and seems that after that the autodefrag doesn't run.

Well. so far, on one computer I noticed that after rebooting, autodefrag started once again, and after it finishes I wen to analyze my drive and smartdefrag reported 0 fragmets.

So until now I'm not able to say if Autodefrag will continue to defrag in the background after certain amount of fragmented files, I'll make some tests and will not reboot my computer, hope to see autodefrag doing it's job.

philbee, I also have faith in the company.

I found Iobit SmartDefrag browsing for an efficient defragmenter, and decided to give a try to SmartDefrag, even knowing it was in beta.

So far I've not being disappointed, it's a fact that we as users have found several bugs but it's glad to see that iobit periodically releases a new version.

As you said, it seems that SmartDefrag autodefrags after being installed, and seems that after that the autodefrag doesn't run.

Well. so far, on one computer I noticed that after rebooting, autodefrag started once again, and after it finishes I wen to analyze my drive and smartdefrag reported 0 fragmets.

So until now I'm not able to say if Autodefrag will continue to defrag in the background after certain amount of fragmented files, I'll make some tests and will not reboot my computer, hope to see autodefrag doing it's job.

i'm also doing the same thing. it must be triggered by a very high fragmentation level. i'll just keep my eyes open and see if autodefrag does its job when more files are fragmented and the computer has not been rebooted.

Archived