IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Back UP-back up back upBac------------

itsmejjj

How many times have different people advised users back up you OS

YOUR HARD DRIVE C: |after its installed --and you are verified as a genuine copy --permanent use --never to have to do this agian --thats should of been the first back up --copy it to a cd---mark it as my very first back up NO 1

ok

now from there add what you like --then when you completed this task

and are happy

do it again -a full c:-drive back up -copy this to a cd mark it as my 2nd back up working -with apps---

from there you can do this now and then -

do not rely on the spare drive only!!! ----if it gets messed with as in corrupted you lose your back up! --AND YOUR INSTALLED VERSION---

GET OF THE NET---UNPLUG YOUR MODEM now ---NOT LATER -OR IN A MI NIT--

DO this NOW this very min nit!!!

not later stop what you are doing NOW--make a OS boot disk --back up the drive ..have the boot disk on Top of your PC .clearly named its version and os used --back up your drivers-on a cd--

your OS on a CD --and your spare drive-if you have one -do not relay on a drive

only --have a fully backed up version on cd--you probly need 4 or 5 or even more --

do this now!!!!!

itsmejjj

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi jjj

Very sound advice, apparently cannot be mentioned too often :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

How many times have different people advised users back up you OS

YOUR HARD DRIVE C:|after its installed --and you are verified as a genuine copy --permanent use --never to have to do this agian --thats should of been the first back up --copy it to a cd---mark it as my very first back up NO 1

ok

now from there add what you like --then when you completed this task

and are happy

do it again -a full c:-drive back up -copy this to a cd mark it as my 2nd back up working -with apps---

from there you can do this now and then -

do not rely on the spare drive only!!! ----if it gets messed with as in corrupted you lose your back up! --AND YOUR INSTALLED VERSION---

GET OF THE NET---UNPLUG YOUR MODEM now ---NOT LATER -OR IN A MI NIT--

DO this NOW this very min nit!!!

not later stop what you are doing NOW--make a OS boot disk --back up the drive ..have the boot disk on Top of your PC .clearly named its version and os used --back up your drivers-on a cd--

your OS on a CD --and your spare drive-if you have one -do not relay on a drive

only --have a fully backed up version on cd--you probly need 4 or 5 or even more --

do this now!!!!!

itsmejjj

thank you!!

READ this --i mean read it!

here is what i do not very hard !

first thing get hold of(4) x 4x DVD-R DL cd recordable disks--

set you back about $20 -- the duil layer cd's

32 gig in format total-

format them as usage as flash drive--

now ---run a back up from the pc to the cd --

we are talking a brand new set up --your first install---

why ? probly need 5-8 gig---space --

next back up to the drive d:\ if you have one?

if not you may need from 2 to 31 cds ---ehhh that's why we are talking

the new install-do one to the drive check its size --

--round about 4 to 7 gig--perhaps a bit larger--

my one at the moment 202gig in size --that's all apps included--

31 cd's ! i know thats silly--and even i would not do it--

so why bother at all --read the many that do not bother--and see the crying

the ather reason -if you lose the drives--

now here i advice you spend a few bucks--get a second hand drive--external

usb-set you back round the $100 mark 300gig or 400 gig with a box --

use it only to back up --do this every week --or before you install a program

i mean any---i dont care if it is iobit360 or asv--or maladroit--- what ever

let me tell you about anti programs ,there dangerous!!thy can in one swoop

f**?* your PC--total .sorry for the FRENCH

but i get tired of the ante program that tell you a lot of false things

install virus to prove Hy look we found this or that are we good or what!!

if you install any Beta types be prepared for the worst!!

even the so called trusted programs like zone alarm -

as i have used it 15years now would not give it a look in!!!

over bloated junk!

i have stated many many times thy do not need to be so rudy large!

and all the added in junk -a fire wall should be just that

a port and rouge watcher --a virus should be that a protector of

unknowns or knows and give you the option -not there's!!

a mall ware do its thing and give you the same --rights

to set it up before the scanning happens----

here is one out now called ( go ahead try it --ehhhhh )

Steganos Internet Security 2009 8.5.0.408----the new one AV.

now i downloaded this crap installed it -started to scan and completed

chop my system to peaces!

when ask to reboot -i was left with a black sreen--booted in safe mode

and was not able to stop this peace of crap ware! why there stupid scan

the pc first -giving ME no option to set what to scan!!!

or drive--it than proceed to

run in a c: prompt command and rip out what thy programed --

no regard for the owner!!

then scream pay up! if not stiff --you get no option!!!

leaving one felling all full-----

now what?--yes in with my boot disk loaded fine and repare !

fixed it ---

look you must try out things,install uninstall---

That why--you need that back up and boot disk!!

Backup

Hi itsmejjj. I always read your threads. They are always full of good advice. I wish I could convince the whole world to follow your advice about backups. I spent about 200$ getting my Pc repaired the first year I had it. I purchased a 160Gb Seagate about a year ago. My friend says it's a flash drive. I don't know what you call it but it's the best thing I have ever bought. Its a self contained unit that plugs in to a port and acts like a external drive.. I use Macrium Relect and my Seagate to back up my OS every two weeks. I can back up my C drive in 9 minutes. I can restore in 15 minutes and not lose one bit of data. I can also replace my HD and be back up and running in minutes. Macrium Reflect and my Segate has saved me hours of unneeded work and frustration. A good back up is the most important tool you can have. Thank you for your thread. I hope everyone reads and follows your advice my friend. Macrium Reflect is freeware and very friendly user. If you have time to try it out, I would like to hear your opinion. If you have questions about Macrium Reflect, I would be happy to answer them. {garybear}

I have been using a 1.5TB Seagate Firewire Drive as a main storage drive for everything but the OS and the programs I use which are on the main C drive and a 1TB Western Digital drive for a backup. About 6 months ago I did a lot of research on Backup Imaging and I decided to give Acronis True Image a try.

As best as I can remember I partitioned my C drive and and loaded an image of my OS into it. Acronis then wrote over the D drive and became the computer's recovery manager. I also stored an additional image on the each of the external drives and I was set to test Acronis out, but before I did so I did some more research and found dozens of people who had absolutely horrible experiences restoring their computers with Acronis and suffered everything from BSOD to the computer being rendered completely unbootable! One fellow was told that "all you need to do to use Acronis successfully is rewrite the BIOS", simple right!

As a result of all of these horror stories I deleted the backups and removed as much of Acronis as Revo was able to and considered myself fortunate for not having precipitated the very crisis I was trying to avoid.

I would very much like to find a program that can safely make and restore a back up image my OS, programs and all of the settings that isn't such a resource hog that it requires 250 MB of RAM to run from start to shutdown like Acronis did.

I have read a lot of positive reviews about different Backup Imaging Programs, but when I dig deep I find that the big fans of some of these programs are people who can rewrite their computer's BIOS from memory when what I'm looking for is a Backup Imaging Program that is dependable and works well enough that I won't have to worry about ending up with an unbootable computer should I need to actually use it.

~Maxx~

PS- garybear- Is your 160 GB external drive the Seagate FreeAgent Go Hard Disk Drive?

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/seagate-freeagent-go-160gb.jpg

tell me something --has vista the capability to back up your system ?

as in a file --made to restore the whole drive ?--and replace it with the image made by the os?

my ones are shintaro external boxes power pack inside a pair -- --and 3 IE external boxes--6 cradle devices--4 spares--

with different size drives-used for my older systems --

my total amount -3.8 terry bite --all external--internal total 1.5 -700gig- 400,500,200gig as boot drives--

--16 spare drives different sizes--all ie---from 3--to 100 gig..all in good order--

itsmejjj

{garybear} hi sir -thank you and i the same--

If you have questions about Macrium Reflect

can you post how you do this from scratch?

and describe the process ? step by step --

thank you --

I have been using a 1.5TB Seagate Firewire Drive as a main storage drive for everything but the OS and the programs I use which are on the main C drive and a 1TB Western Digital drive for a backup. About 6 months ago I did a lot of research on Backup Imaging and I decided to give Acronis True Image a try.

As best as I can remember I partitioned my C drive and and loaded an image of my OS into it. Acronis then wrote over the D drive and became the computer's recovery manager. I also stored an additional image on the each of the external drives and I was set to test Acronis out, but before I did so I did some more research and found dozens of people who had absolutely horrible experiences restoring their computers with Acronis and suffered everything from BSOD to the computer being rendered completely unbootable! One fellow was told that "all you need to do to use Acronis successfully is rewrite the BIOS", simple right!

As a result of all of these horror stories I deleted the backups and removed as much of Acronis as Revo was able to and considered myself fortunate for not having precipitated the very crisis I was trying to avoid.

I would very much like to find a program that can safely make and restore a back up image my OS, programs and all of the settings that isn't such a resource hog that it requires 250 MB of RAM to run from start to shutdown like Acronis did.

I have read a lot of positive reviews about different Backup Imaging Programs, but when I dig deep I find that the big fans of some of these programs are people who can rewrite their computer's BIOS from memory when what I'm looking for is a Backup Imaging Program that is dependable and works well enough that I won't have to worry about ending up with an unbootable computer should I need to actually use it.

~Maxx~

PS- garybear- Is your 160 GB external drive the Seagate FreeAgent Go Hard Disk Drive?

Hi Maxx . Yes it is. Looks just like your screen print. Have a look at Macrium Reflect. I have used it and it works great and I know nothing about Bios. It's freeware. I can answer your questions if you like. I have restored a back up image of my OS twice to my working drive and once to a cold HD I never had one problem and never lost any data. I love Macrium Reflect. I tried Acronis but I like Macrium better. It is very user friendly.{garybear}

This is the way I restore an image.

This is the way I restore an image using Macrium Reflect and Windows Explorer. If you want to restore the whole image to your working C drive, you will have to use your linux rescue disk If you can not boot with liniux, you may have to make a BartPE rescue disk. I use the linux but have a copy of BartPE, which is an excellent tool. If you just want to restore a file or program, you can use the browse feature in Macrium. This is a really nice feature. You can read about the browse an image in Macrium help. I will explain the browse feature if any one asks. At this point you will be asked to use your rescue disk. You must power off your Pc and boot with your linux rescue disk. If you can not boot with your rescue disk, you can't restore your image. You may have to change your boot options. If you have problems, I will try to help.

Thanks friend

well presented with with good use of screenshots, well done.

Thank you my friend. Hope you are well. I try real hard to make a good hand on this forum. I love this forum and every one on it. I have learned so much and hope I can give back a little. Live well my friend and thank you for your kind words.{garybear}

garybear- Your screenshots of Macrium Reflect make it look very user friendly and easy to use as I'm sure it is, but it gets considerably more difficult to make a Rescue CD for the Vista OS in order to use its Image Restoration feature since I do not have a Linux Rescue Disc. Regarding the option of using BartPE the last update was released in February 2006. The PE Builder runs on Vista, but you can’t create a Vista-based BartPE CD.

Bart's PE can create a Windows XP based bootable CD. Similar to BartPE, there is a Preinstalled Environment (PE) for Windows Vista as well called VistaPE. The current version of this Vista based Preinstalled Environment is reasonably stable and easy to build.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/VistaPE.gif

When the words 'reasonably stable' are used to describe a program as significant and important as the one restoring the image of the OS it makes me very hesitant to use it. Here are the instructions on how to use VistaPE. They lost me when they recommended using Acronis scripts with VistaPE.

As I went through the screenshots that you posted of Macrium Reflect with its functions all clearly explained I knew that this was a very user friendly program and one that I very well may end up using if I can ever find a stable and reliable way to create a rescue disc for my Vista computer that would enable me to use it. Any and all recommendations will be appreciated!

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

garybear- Your screenshots of Macrium Reflect make it look very user friendly and easy to use as I'm sure it is, but it gets considerably more difficult to make a Rescue CD for the Vista OS in order to use its Image Restoration feature since I do not have a Linux Rescue Disc. Regarding the option of using BartPE the last update was released in February 2006. The PE Builder runs on Vista, but you can’t create a Vista-based BartPE CD.

Bart's PE can create a Windows XP based bootable CD. Similar to BartPE, there is a Preinstalled Environment (PE) for Windows Vista as well called VistaPE. The current version of this Vista based Preinstalled Environment is reasonably stable and easy to build.

When the words 'reasonably stable' are used to describe a program as significant and important as the one restoring the image of the OS it makes me very hesitant to use it. Here are the instructions on how to use VistaPE. They lost me when they recommended using Acronis scripts with VistaPE.

As I went through the screenshots that you posted of Macrium Reflect with its functions all clearly explained I knew that this was a very user friendly program and one that I very well may end up using if I can ever find a stable and reliable way to create a rescue disc for my Vista computer that would enable me to use it. Any and all recommendations will be appreciated!

~Maxx~

I would recommend that you check out the help forum that my good friend Ted has recommended. In the mean time I will do some searching. Thank you for your post Mr. Ted. Live well my friend.{garybear}

Have you tried making a linux

Have you tried creating a rescue disk??? Every thing I read tells me Macrium works with Vista. I see where BartPE is no good for Vista but the linux rescue may very well work with Vista. You are given two choices. I would try the first one and if your PC won't boot; build the other one and try it. Live well my friend.{garybear} Macrium Support Forum

Macrium Support Forum RSS 2.0 RSS Feed

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ

Username:

Password:

Save Password

Forgot your Password?

All Forums

Reflect

Rescue CD

Suitable rescue CD New Topic Reply to Topic

Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic

shan

Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - June 22 2008 : 05:26:02 Show Profile Reply with Quote

My PC runs on Vista 32-bit [Home Premium].

Can I use the Linux rescue CD? Or do I have to use the Windows PE (Vista) based CD?

Thanks a lot.

Nick

United Kingdom

2204 Posts

Posted - June 22 2008 : 11:10:14 Show Profile Reply with Quote

Hi Shan

The Rescue CD is completely independent of the Windows version on your PC. You can use either CD.

Kind Regards

Nick

Go to Top of Page

shan

Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - June 23 2008 : 14:28:35 Show Profile Reply with Quote

Hi Nick,

Thanks a lot!

Warm Regards,

shan

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic

New Topic Reply to Topic

Printer Friendly

Jump To:

Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page

This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

as in a file --made to restore the whole drive ?--and replace it with the image made by the os?

someone anser this ----

i can tell you in win7 its all done if you start a backup --it places a file -called

back (pc) than you are given the opportunity to create a boot disk--

to reinstall the back up or repair the drive-i have done this 4 times under test

condition -where i on purpose deleted a few files -making the pc bootless!

put in the disk (boot cd) and when loaded up ask to repair

2nd time a full restore ,3rd time ,hitting the reset button 6 times --

in halfway ,boot up--

got a black screen -stuck in the cd -did its thing replaced the c:/drive

and all back to normal --than ran a app kill disk -yes whipe all files of the c>/

boot up from the cd ,reinstalled the back up -and it redone the system --

itsmejjj

jjj- That is a very good suggestion, but I am running Vista Home Premium and the recovery feature that you described is only available in Vista Ultimate and Vista Business.

~Maxx~

Thank you guys for directing me to the Macrium Support Forum. They answered a lot of my Vista specific Recovery CD questions and have given me more hope that I will be able to restore a current image to my computer rather than the OEM recovery image that is filled with crapware and NIS. One of the things that I did not like about Acronis was that they could only restore using Linux, but Macrium is offering the Windows PE 2 platform for those of us who use the Vista OS...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/MacriumWinPE2RecoveryCD.png

Windows PE 2.0 is the core deployment foundation for Windows Vista. It is effectively a 'cut-down' version of the Microsoft operating system* that can be loaded entirely into main memory (~500 MB RAM). Once loaded full unrestricted access is permitted to local hard drives thus permitting image and file restoration.

~Maxx~

*This made me think of you and your Win Min 7 jjj.

thank for the reply ! and my win Min it can back up and restore a very good option build in the Os i use ,but i shall try the program as well beautifully described!(well done Gary bear)

this tread needs to be stuck down --permanent--

what do you think admins??

itsmejjj

Hi, Max,

I also backup to an external 160 GB Seagate FreeAgent Go Hard Disk Drive like yours. Does your one have all the CEEDO software installed and if so, do you use it? I know Garybear has removed it from his drive and as far as I'm concerned, it's just occupying valuable disk space and I'd be better of without it.

BTW, Gary,

Creating a Definition file (.XML) and saving it, will save you time when doing a backup. All you have to do is click your saved Definition file and the backup will commence using all the parameters you've set.

garybear- I bit the bullet and downloaded the 30 day trial Full Version of Macrim Reflect v4.2.2076 and the first thing it wanted me to do is create a Rescue CD, but its very late and I'll save that for tomorrow. Must I use a CD, or can I use one of my high quality Verbatim DVD's for burning in my built in DVD burner?

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/MacriumReflectInstall.png

~Maxx~

garybear- I bit the bullet and downloaded the 30 day trial Full Version of Macrim Reflect v4.2.2076 and the first thing it wanted me to do is create a Rescue CD, but its very late and I'll save that for tomorrow. Must I use a CD, or can I use one of my high quality Verbatim DVD's for burning in my built in DVD burner?

~Maxx~

I think they both will work. Good luck. I know you will like Macrium. It is very easy to use. I know Ted will be glad to help also. There are other users on the forum also. Maybe they will post later on. Keep me posted on your progress.

Hi, Max,

I also backup to an external 160 GB Seagate FreeAgent Go Hard Disk Drive like yours. Does your one have all the CEEDO software installed and if so, do you use it? I know Garybear has removed it from his drive and as far as I'm concerned, it's just occupying valuable disk space and I'd be better of without it.

BTW, Gary,

Creating a Definition file (.XML) and saving it, will save you time when doing a backup. All you have to do is click your saved Definition file and the backup will commence using all the parameters you've set.

Hi Ted. Thanks for your tip. I'll give it a try next time. I just never used that feature. Do you save it to your desk top? Have you tried backing up from Windows Explorer? That's pretty easy also, but I'll try your tip next time. Thanks my friend live well.{garybear}

I know you will like Macrium.

One thing that I know I like already and that is that Macrium Reflect doesn't constantly suck up 250 MB of RAM every moment that the computer is running like Acronis True Image did!!! In fact, unlike Acronis, Macrium Reflect uses no resources at all when not running and I was able to download the 30 day free trial of the completely functional Full Version which has the ability to make a Windows PE 2 Recovery CD that can be used to restore an image of the Vista OS.

~Maxx~

Archived