IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Back UP-back up back upBac------------

itsmejjj

Great question Ted!

Possibly create an image, install the new hardware (one at a time), and if all goes well... immediately create a new image. Install the hardware and drivers one at a time, creating an image every time... so that if there was a problem, you could always switch the hardware back until you find the solution?

What Wildwillie posts kinda reminds me of the old "infinity" mirrors that had the little lights around the edge, and the reflected images seemed to stretch and curve off to infinity, but were really contained within the mirror (box)[HD], that contained a real mirror, and a two way mirror.

If the mirror box falls off the wall, both mirrors are broken, and dislodged... and the infinite image is destroyed!

Nice posting here!!!:-D

-Mel

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ted!!!!

Regarding image backups:

I was wondering what problems would be encountered with a backup image following a major upgrade, like the replacement of a MBB and HDD. Would the image still be usable? I mean all drivers would have to be compatible with the old ones, wouldn't they? I suppose using the same brand of components would help. The same would apply to restoring an image to a different computer, I suppose. Just wondering.

Hi friend. I don't know what a MBB is??? I'm assuming you mean mother board. If what your asking is will the image still be usable with a different mother board. The answer is no!!! If your upgrading to a larger HD or a cold HD, the answer is yes. You will need a HD the same size or larger to restore the image. You can not use a back up image on another PC with different components. If anyone makes a program that can do that, they will be a billionaire. I hope this answers your question my friend.

Interesting comments..

Are we talking about data or operating systems? They are both important, but they are certainly not necessarily the same.

I'm not posting about mirrors... (now you see it and now you don't..?)

If you are worried about DATA why are you not saving your data to CDR's and CDRW's, Harddrives, etc..

If I have CIA secret files, documents, data, pictures, etc., that I don't want to lose, I save them repeatedly..period..!

Incremental backups to what??? The same harddrive that might die..? Or another one that might die? [

I believe in murphy's law... That's why I don't just depend on one or two harddrives or backup files.

I have 3 external harddrives. A fairly small one plus a 1 T-Bite and a 1.5 T-Bite. I backup my 'puters on all 3... switching back & forth, so I have a recent BU file on all them. I also from time to time use an internal 400 or 500 HD on my desktops.

I guess I'm missing something.

When I post about a backup... I'm concerned primarily with my operating system... Not my DATA, 'cause it is already safe.

Heck, I'm not even slightly worried about my important data, pictures & files, as they are saved repeatedly on hardrives (plural) and from time to time on CD disks.

Macrium also backs up my data..

I consider that a plus, but not an essential.

I don't want to have to start PLUMB OVER & reinstall my operating system. This is my primary concern.... 'cause it takes one heck of a lot time and effort.

If I've missed the point of this discussion, please clue me in.

I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, but I'm not just a stub either.. ha ha.

WW :-D

Hi Melvin!!

Great question Ted!

Possibly create an image, install the new hardware (one at a time), and if all goes well... immediately create a new image. Install the hardware and drivers one at a time, creating an image every time... so that if there was a problem, you could always switch the hardware back until you find the solution?

What Wildwillie posts kinda reminds me of the old "infinity" mirrors that had the little lights around the edge, and the reflected images seemed to stretch and curve off to infinity, but were really contained within the mirror (box)[HD], that contained a real mirror, and a two way mirror.

If the mirror box falls off the wall, both mirrors are broken, and dislodged... and the infinite image is destroyed!

Nice posting here!!!:-D

-Mel

Hi friend. Ted's question was understandable. I do not have a clue to what your answer to him was. If your trying to say Willie is like an old mirror, you are out of line. He was trying to help a member with a laptop. I read Willie's post and I was not confused. I'm sure he will explain his post in detail latter. If you replace the mother board with an upgrade; you start from scratch. If you replace it with the same model, you have a chance your image will work. You can replace a 100 HD's and use the back up image as long as the HD is the same size or larger. If you upgrade the mother board and use a back up image made with the old mother board, there is no way that will work, and I don't see that suggested in Willie's post. If you read that in his post, you need to read it again.

Back to the future

Howdy, Woz,

I'm not certain what you wanted me to explain further, but perhaps it was more detail about restoring my laptop

Thanks for the info, much appreciated :smile:

Hi, itsmejjj,

I also use a free tool named: Karen's Replicator which can be configured to do incremental backups on selected folders. This usually only takes a few minutes, but ensures your most valued files are always up to date.

I was (still am) a big fan of Karens Replicator but have shifted to Microsoft SyncToy now.

SyncToy does not have the backup shortcut feature but it does a very good job.

Why the change? mostly because of aesthetics

I had given the folders on my external HardDrive and FlashDrive lovely icons but after running Karens Replicator they would be gone and I was left with boring default.

Since I am now in the habit of doing a backup of everything, every day (manual only) I don't really need the backup shortcut feature.

I just plug in all my externals and select the All Backups, if I forget to plug in an external FlashDrive or whatever it simply does what it can and leaves me with a message that it could not backup to that FlashDrive because I messed up :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi friends!!

I was (still am) a big fan of Karens Replicator but have shifted to Microsoft SyncToy now.

I had given the folders on my external HardDrive and FlashDrive lovely icons but after running Karens Replicator they would be gone and I was left with boring default.

Since I am now in the habit of doing a backup of everything, every day (manual only) I don't really need the backup shortcut feature.

I just plug in all my externals and select the All Backups, if I forget to plug in an external FlashDrive or whatever it simply does what it can and leaves me with a message that it could not backup to that FlashDrive because I messed up :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi friends!! I have a few dumb questions?? Why do you use these other tools?? I can back up every thing on my HD in 9 minutes with Macrium. I can mount that image in Windows Exployer and copy any thing I want to another drive, to a disk , or put it back on my working drive. If my HD dies, I just restore the whole image to a new HD. I don't have any important files to save every day. If I did, I would have more that one USB with a back up of those files. PS I can copy and paste any file on my working drive to any of my other drives with Windows. I can burn files to a DVD. Sorry , I just don't understand. I use Macrium, because that is the only way I know to create a backup image of my whole C drive???? Not only do I have a backup of all my files, I have a backup of my entire C drive. ????????????????????????

Instant backup, just in case

I don't have any important files to save every day. If I did, I would have more that one USB with a back up of those files.

Since you don't have any important files to backup every day then you have no real need for this other software.

Someone working with Documents etc would want to save a copy to somewhere immediately after making any changes, just in case :wink:

Karens replicator can do this with the click of a Desktop icon, SyncToy needs to launched (quick) and then click the backup.

One minute for the backup, at the most.

I have a 2GB SD card that lives in my NetBook, I almost never take it out.

I do an immediate backup of any important Docs changes etc to that and then do a full backup to other externals at the end of the day

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz!!

So why can't you just copy and paste with Windows?? I know I'm thick between the ears some times. The only way I learn is to ask!!! PS If your afraid your drive is going to die, copy and paste your files to another drive!!!!Since you don't have any important files to backup every day then you have no real need for this other software.

Someone working with Documents etc would want to save a copy to somewhere immediately after making any changes, just in case

Easy peasy

The main reason for using this software is ease of use plus SyncToy is only 1.5 MB and Karens Replicator is about the same I think.

For example, I write or copy/paste a lot of quick notes from the web, this is usually to do with computer tweaks and help or news articles.

I store these notes in My Documents in a folder called Misc (Miscellaneous) and some time later I will sort through them

I have two backup folders on my 2GB card for these notes:

One is also called Misc and when I backup it will become exactly the same as the folder in My Documents

If I have deleted a note from the computer it will be deleted from the backup.

The other is called Misc Vault and when I backup to it any new notes are added but nothing is deleted from this folder.

This is handy if in the future I wish I had not deleted a certain note, I still have a copy.

Both of these backups (and more) are done by simply clicking on an icon :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz!!

The main reason for using this software is ease of use plus SyncToy is only 1.5 MB and Karens Replicator is about the same I think.

For example, I write or copy/paste a lot of quick notes from the web, this is usually to do with computer tweaks and help or news articles.

I store these notes in My Documents in a folder called Misc (Miscellaneous) and some time later I will sort through them

I have two backup folders on my 2GB card for these notes:

One is also called Misc and when I backup it will become exactly the same as the folder in My Documents

If I have deleted a note from the computer it will be deleted from the backup.

The other is called Misc Vault and when I backup to it any new notes are added but nothing is deleted from this folder.

This is handy if in the future I wish I had not deleted a certain note, I still have a copy.

Both of these backups (and more) are done by simply clicking on an icon :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Thanks friend. I understand now. I guess the old saying holds true"different strokes for different folks. Thanks woz!!

I agree, wozofoz

:neutral:

All the best, woz of oz

Sometimes these "quick click fixes" & quick "clicks" are REALLY GREAT when they work.

As an example, I especially like FASTONE It's quick "click" utilty that has allowed me to avoid being RIPPED OFF on an internet order.

BUT I digress.. (sorry...it's one of my weaknesses.)

I (the same as woz) ...simply backup my important DATA manually.

I don't use any software that provides quick clicks and as WOZ sez.. "lovely icons" (how funny!!)

Woz.. I'm with you.. I only want my DATA & OPERATING SYSTEM to survive ANY HARWARE or SOFTWARE (incl. virus & malware) FAILURES or ATTACKS..

I plan to check out Karens Replicator but I'm already a bit prejudiced, since WOZ tried it and decided to GO MANUAL with his DATA stuff... the same as I already do.. I'm going to withhold my opinion... not that it really matters. to anyone except me.. :smile:

I'm aware that this is an IOBIT forum... & with a few "reservations", I remain an IOBIT supporter..!!

My belief is that we should all be working for the common good (re: computers) ..not politics. Preventing malicious prgs. (ie. viruses & malware,..& if too late maybe fixing the damage) causing the LOSS of operating systems & DATA concern us all.

It's no secret that I'm a BIG FAN of Macrium Reflect. But MR doesn't FIX ANY PROBLEMS..!!

It only "restores failures, ETC"... So this is where IOBIT & others try to supply FIX'S & PREVENTATIVE solutions.

In my humble opinion, I think they're doing a pretty good job... Can they do better? I think the answer is obvious, but I have no doubt that I cannot do as well...!

WW

Hi wildwillie

I too back up all my important files i.e. those that I can't restore by other means - my documents and pictures and other files that I don't have the possibility to restore in any other way - to cd's, dvd's, memory sticks and other harddisks and my external harddisk. On the latest three mentioned I also have a Macrium Reflect backup image and restore rescue file.

The possible problem with an image is that it can possibly contain all the small errors and file clutter that you haven't noticed before you backed it up. There can even be a virus that hasn't been found laying dormant somewhere in the backup image. But other than that it is a great tool that will keep your computer functioning even if you make a serious mistake.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s.- I also have a couple of old backups created by Easeus

:neutral:

Sometimes these "quick click fixes" & quick "clicks" are REALLY GREAT when they work.

As an example, I especially like FASTONE It's quick "click" utilty that has allowed me to avoid being RIPPED OFF on an internet order.

BUT I digress.. (sorry...it's one of my weaknesses.)

I (the same as woz) ...simply backup my important DATA manually.

I don't use any software that provides quick clicks and as WOZ sez.. "lovely icons" (how funny!!)

Woz.. I'm with you.. I only want my DATA & OPERATING SYSTEM to survive ANY HARWARE or SOFTWARE (incl. virus & malware) FAILURES or ATTACKS..

I plan to check out Karens Replicator but I'm already a bit prejudiced, since WOZ tried it and decided to GO MANUAL with his DATA stuff... the same as I already do.. I'm going to withhold my opinion... not that it really matters. to anyone except me.. :smile:

I'm aware that this is an IOBIT forum... & with a few "reservations", I remain an IOBIT supporter..!!

My belief is that we should all be working for the common good (re: computers) ..not politics. Preventing malicious prgs. (ie. viruses & malware,..& if too late maybe fixing the damage) causing the LOSS of operating systems & DATA concern us all.

It's no secret that I'm a BIG FAN of Macrium Reflect. But MR doesn't FIX ANY PROBLEMS..!!

It only "restores failures, ETC"... So this is where IOBIT & others try to supply FIX'S & PREVENTATIVE solutions.

In my humble opinion, I think they're doing a pretty good job... Can they do better? I think the answer is obvious, but I have no doubt that I cannot do as well...!

WW

Archived