IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC changes permissions - Can't access A/V and other programs, folders

bert321r9ybe

(Apologies for cross-post from bug forum but I didn't get any replies there)

Should have added:

1) this is a highly similar problem:

http://www.d-a-l.com/help/spyware-ad...g-malware.html

2) downloaded and installed HijackThis to post a logfile but got the same error message as below and the app would not run.

I believe this may be an issue related to that described here:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=4144

(and perhaps also experienced by those reporting slow system performance in this forum?)

That said, here is what happened:

I uninstalled MCAffee and Installed Avira (tired of MC's inefficiency). I then installed and ran ASC.

I ran the first of the four steps with no issues. When I went on to the second, I skipped defrag for lack of time but when it came to what was next, it crashed (can't recall what was next because of what happened next):

Now I have the usual windows protection shield in front of Avira and IObit. When I click, it says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions on this computer."

This happens both for the *.exe in the program folder and the desktop shortcut.

So far I have encountered nothing too unusual although system performance seems to have dropped by about 80%.

Is this in fact some sort of rootkit? I didn't have anything like this before I installed.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help. MY THESIS IS ON HERE - I CAN'T LOSE ALL MY DATA!!

Hi bert

Please read the manual and

Online Help for IObit Software

Cheers

solbjerg

(Apologies for cross-post from bug forum but I didn't get any replies there)

Should have added:

1) this is a highly similar problem:

http://www.d-a-l.com/help/spyware-ad...g-malware.html

2) downloaded and installed HijackThis to post a logfile but got the same error message as below and the app would not run.

I believe this may be an issue related to that described here:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=4144

(and perhaps also experienced by those reporting slow system performance in this forum?)

That said, here is what happened:

I uninstalled MCAffee and Installed Avira (tired of MC's inefficiency). I then installed and ran ASC.

I ran the first of the four steps with no issues. When I went on to the second, I skipped defrag for lack of time but when it came to what was next, it crashed (can't recall what was next because of what happened next):

Now I have the usual windows protection shield in front of Avira and IObit. When I click, it says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions on this computer."

This happens both for the *.exe in the program folder and the desktop shortcut.

So far I have encountered nothing too unusual although system performance seems to have dropped by about 80%.

Is this in fact some sort of rootkit? I didn't have anything like this before I installed.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help. MY THESIS IS ON HERE - I CAN'T LOSE ALL MY DATA!!

Okay read it but still not sure what the next step should be

Thanks a lot for your reply, solbjerg. I read through the online help and manual but still am unsure what to do next. I can't get into ASC to modify its settings and it doesn't seem to have generated a log file for me to forward on.

Basically, my Admin account seems to have been downgraded to something much more restricted and my internet throughput is at around 3kb/s

The gist of it seems to be related to this message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions on this computer."

This pops up every time I try to access any of the newly restricted files (antivirus programs, hijackthis, malbytes, and now any of the files in my user directory).

Update (1): I tried running with Vista UAC off and that only removed the little "defense shield" from in front of the program icons (for the ones on the desktop).

Update (2): I tried running in safe mode with the same result.

I am very concerned that my box has been hijacked so any help you could provide would be more than appreciated,

B

Hi bert

If you can get into safe mode and open ASC you might go to the restore center and restore the changes made when you ran the program without checking the details of the "problems".

Otherwise perhaps use Windows System restore to get back to a setup before you installed ASC.

Good luck!

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks a lot for your reply, solbjerg. I read through the online help and manual but still am unsure what to do next. I can't get into ASC to modify its settings and it doesn't seem to have generated a log file for me to forward on.

Basically, my Admin account seems to have been downgraded to something much more restricted and my internet throughput is at around 3kb/s

The gist of it seems to be related to this message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions on this computer."

This pops up every time I try to access any of the newly restricted files (antivirus programs, hijackthis, malbytes, and now any of the files in my user directory).

Update (1): I tried running with Vista UAC off and that only removed the little "defense shield" from in front of the program icons (for the ones on the desktop).

Update (2): I tried running in safe mode with the same result.

I am very concerned that my box has been hijacked so any help you could provide would be more than appreciated,

B

Archived